Poll

Will Kawhi stay in Toronto or leave this summer?

Stay.
32 (47.1%)
Leave.
36 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Author Topic: Poll: Will Kawhi leave or stay?  (Read 6094 times)

Re: Poll: Will Kawhi leave or stay?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 07:54:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sounds like Kawhi really wants to go back to California. It's where he wanted to go when he was in San Antonio and it's where he recently bought a house.
He also bought a house in Toronto which generally doesn't happen when people think they are on a one year stop.
Not sure that makes a difference. If I am making the money the average NBA player makes and I have a wife and kids, I am buying a house in the town I play in even if it's for a year. If a year later I have to sell it and buy a new house in the city I plan to be in for multiple years, I do so. It's not like at $9 million a year or so I can't afford multiple houses.
generally it is in fact indicative of intentions as most players on essentially 1 year deals just rent and don't buy a home.  He also bought a massive home in San Diego which seems odd if he was going to play in LA (you don't need 2 house that close together)
Most players on one year deals aren't multi-multi-millionaires. Most players on one year deals don't get J.J. Redick one year money. They usually are borderline NBA players. Of course, they wouldn't buy a house.

But multi-millionaire players that find themselves in a one year situation and have a family, why wouldn't they buy the house? They could turn that house over in one year at a profit and make back some of their money. I am guessing there are tax advantages to it as well.

Yes, I agree most times players on one year deals won't buy a house for one year. Might also be those players don't have the security they will be there all that year, so it makes sense.

But Kawhi isn't most players and his chances of being traded were zero. For players like him, who have families, make big bucks and are stars, yeah, they buy the house for a year. I don't think for players like that that buying a house is an indicator.

But for the average player on a one year deal, it most likely is an indicator.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 08:08:26 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I think from financial stand point the most sense for him is to sign a one year deal plus a player option with Toronto. This way he will be eligible for the 35% max next year ... whether it’s 5 yrs with Toronto or 4 years with the clippers ..

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 08:12:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Sounds like Kawhi really wants to go back to California. It's where he wanted to go when he was in San Antonio and it's where he recently bought a house.
He also bought a house in Toronto which generally doesn't happen when people think they are on a one year stop.
Not sure that makes a difference. If I am making the money the average NBA player makes and I have a wife and kids, I am buying a house in the town I play in even if it's for a year. If a year later I have to sell it and buy a new house in the city I plan to be in for multiple years, I do so. It's not like at $9 million a year or so I can't afford multiple houses.
generally it is in fact indicative of intentions as most players on essentially 1 year deals just rent and don't buy a home.  He also bought a massive home in San Diego which seems odd if he was going to play in LA (you don't need 2 house that close together)
Most players on one year deals aren't multi-multi-millionaires. Most players on one year deals don't get J.J. Redick one year money. They usually are borderline NBA players. Of course, they wouldn't buy a house.

But multi-millionaire players that find themselves in a one year situation and have a family, why wouldn't they buy the house? They could turn that house over in one year at a profit and make back some of their money. I am guessing there are tax advantages to it as well.

Yes, I agree most times players on one year deals won't buy a house for one year. Might also be those players don't have the security they will be there all that year, so it makes sense.

But Kawhi isn't most players and his chances of being traded were zero. For players like him, who have families, make big bucks and are stars, yeah, they buy the house for a year. I don't think for players like that that buying a house is an indicator.

Yup

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I didn't mean 1 year deal, I meant 1 year left on a contract in a trade.  Generally NBA players who get traded some place don't buy homes until they sign a new contract.  That is the general rule.  It certainly wouldn't stop Kawhi from leaving, but it is not normal to actually purchase a home, especially in a city as expensive as Toronto.  And the reality is, anyone that sells a home after year would be lucky to get what they paid for it, especially when a rushed timeline to buy.  Leonard's house in Toronto is not an investment.  People also don't generally buy 13 million dollar mansions with the intent of living 2 hours away.  It would be very odd to buy a gigantic home in San Diego and then buy an every day home in Los Angeles as well.  Again, it might not mean he isn't going to LA, but it would be a strange thing to do.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 08:43:47 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

anyone know when he bought said house?

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 09:30:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I didn't mean 1 year deal, I meant 1 year left on a contract in a trade.  Generally NBA players who get traded some place don't buy homes until they sign a new contract.  That is the general rule.  It certainly wouldn't stop Kawhi from leaving, but it is not normal to actually purchase a home, especially in a city as expensive as Toronto.  And the reality is, anyone that sells a home after year would be lucky to get what they paid for it, especially when a rushed timeline to buy.  Leonard's house in Toronto is not an investment.  People also don't generally buy 13 million dollar mansions with the intent of living 2 hours away.  It would be very odd to buy a gigantic home in San Diego and then buy an every day home in Los Angeles as well.  Again, it might not mean he isn't going to LA, but it would be a strange thing to do.
You keep bringing up San Diego and LA. What the heck do houses in those cities have to do with Kawhi buying a house in Toronto and whether buying that house is an indicator of whether he is staying in Toronto?

The house in San Diego will be his off season house. Pierce and KG both had multiple houses with off season houses in Southern California.

For a man with as much money as Kawhi, even if it's for just one year, you buy the house. Kawhi buying a house in Toronto after the trade was not an indicator of where he plans to stay. Obviously, neither is the house purchase in San Diego.

When you are currently worth $25 million, are making $16 million this year in basketball salary, are making upwards of another $6 million a year from New Balance and are just a year away from signing, at minimum, a 4 year $130+ million contract, you buy the house.

Simply put, my point is, when someone that rich can buy houses like normal people can buy cars, the fact he bought a house in Toronto is not an indicator that Kawhi plans on staying there.

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 09:32:35 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I have multiple houses too, I just can't seem to find them.

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 10:38:06 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
If they make the finals I don't see him leaving... Money, winning, big market, A++ head office, and the city of Toronto why would he leave?

The man can have his summer home in San Diego and Work home in Toronto everything points to Toronto at this point.

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 10:57:50 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
If they make the finals I don't see him leaving... Money, winning, big market, A++ head office, and the city of Toronto why would he leave?

The man can have his summer home in San Diego and Work home in Toronto everything points to Toronto at this point.

LA>Toronto in the winter

I think he ends up with the Clippers.

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2019, 11:56:42 PM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
If the Raptors make the finals I think Kawaii stays.

If they flame out though I'd reckon the Clippers would be the favorites to land him.

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2019, 06:16:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

You keep bringing up San Diego and LA. What the heck do houses in those cities have to do with Kawhi buying a house in Toronto and whether buying that house is an indicator of whether he is staying in Toronto?

The house in San Diego will be his off season house. Pierce and KG both had multiple houses with off season houses in Southern California.

For a man with as much money as Kawhi, even if it's for just one year, you buy the house. Kawhi buying a house in Toronto after the trade was not an indicator of where he plans to stay. Obviously, neither is the house purchase in San Diego.

When you are currently worth $25 million, are making $16 million this year in basketball salary, are making upwards of another $6 million a year from New Balance and are just a year away from signing, at minimum, a 4 year $130+ million contract, you buy the house.

Simply put, my point is, when someone that rich can buy houses like normal people can buy cars, the fact he bought a house in Toronto is not an indicator that Kawhi plans on staying there.
I bring up San Diego because it would be very strange for someone to purchase a 13 million dollar house in San Diego only to live 2 hours away for most of the year because he can't really live in San Diego during the basketball season.  And sure he could live in San Diego in the off season, but why would he do that if he lives in LA throughout the year.  It is just a strange thing to do. 

Toronto is super expensive.  To live comfortably there he is spending in excess of a million dollars on a home.  And as you point out he isn't worth that much, especially factoring in the 13 million dollar mega mansion in San Diego.  He isn't Lebron James near the end of his career.  His lifetime basketball earnings at the time he bought the house were like 61 million (pre-taxes).  That really isn't all that much money to just waste by foolishly buying a house.  that is why players generally don't buy houses until they sign new contracts after trades, because it is a recipe for losing money. 

And again, just because players don't normally do things, doesn't mean Kawhi is going to follow the norm, but it generally is indicative of a player's thought process on a one year contract.  You don't establish roots if you are just going to pull them up in a year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2019, 05:04:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He's gone once he gets his tax bill this year which will be soon.

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 12:41:48 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
He's gone once he gets his tax bill this year which will be soon.

California State tax and Ontario ain't much different he'll still make more money with Toronto extra 50 million is a lot.

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2019, 11:51:19 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Kawhi just won another ring, this time with TOR!

Poll 24 stay 23 leave at the time of this post

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2019, 11:53:12 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Imagine he still goes to LA haha