Author Topic: Is there any franchise more disappointing than Hornets?  (Read 5181 times)

Re: Is there any franchise more disappointing than Hornets?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 02:54:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I feel like I should've re-named the title.

I mean in terms of franchises out in the NBA currently, is there any other team more dysfunctional than the Hornets?

The Knicks.

The Hornets have at least come close to being respectable a few times.

I would say that the Suns have been more dysfunctional in recent years, as well.  Though their fans can feel more hope due to all of the young players they've drafted high.

You could make an argument for the Bulls being more dysfunctional, as well as the Wizards.

The Hornets aren't really dysfunctional so much as boring and unimaginative, like I said earlier.  They're right up there with the Magic as teams that aren't horribly run but don't really make any exciting decisions and simply have not been especially competitive or interesting for a long time.

What really killed the Hornets is that they were so bad for several years in a row there, and all they got out of it was Kemba Walker and a bunch of mediocre role players.  Kemba is a lot of fun and he's been the best player in the history of that franchise (not counting the other franchise that was named the Hornets).  But they were bottom of the league, had several very high draft picks, and came away with a single borderline All-Star.

Kind of weird to call him a borderline all-star when he has made it three years in a row and was a starter this year? What does he have to do to just be an all-star?

You're right; he's been a solid All-Star the last few years.  Before that he was more on the fringe.

I would say though that with the exception of this season, Kemba is clearly an inferior player to Mike Conley, who has never made an All-Star team.  So a lot of this is conference-dependent.

I think the overall point stands though -- the Hornets had this bottoming out process that resulted in one player who was better than an average starter.  That one player -- Kemba -- is a quality, All-Star caliber player, but clearly in the second or third tier of NBA stars.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2019, 03:10:24 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Knicks with their market

Haven’t been legit contenders since... arguably 1999? Most recent highlight was defeating a depleted C’s squad in 2013 1st round or whichever year that was

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 03:14:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I feel like I should've re-named the title.

I mean in terms of franchises out in the NBA currently, is there any other team more dysfunctional than the Hornets?

The Knicks.

The Hornets have at least come close to being respectable a few times.

I would say that the Suns have been more dysfunctional in recent years, as well.  Though their fans can feel more hope due to all of the young players they've drafted high.

You could make an argument for the Bulls being more dysfunctional, as well as the Wizards.

The Hornets aren't really dysfunctional so much as boring and unimaginative, like I said earlier.  They're right up there with the Magic as teams that aren't horribly run but don't really make any exciting decisions and simply have not been especially competitive or interesting for a long time.

What really killed the Hornets is that they were so bad for several years in a row there, and all they got out of it was Kemba Walker and a bunch of mediocre role players.  Kemba is a lot of fun and he's been the best player in the history of that franchise (not counting the other franchise that was named the Hornets).  But they were bottom of the league, had several very high draft picks, and came away with a single borderline All-Star.

Kind of weird to call him a borderline all-star when he has made it three years in a row and was a starter this year? What does he have to do to just be an all-star?

You're right; he's been a solid All-Star the last few years.  Before that he was more on the fringe.

I would say though that with the exception of this season, Kemba is clearly an inferior player to Mike Conley, who has never made an All-Star team.  So a lot of this is conference-dependent.

I think the overall point stands though -- the Hornets had this bottoming out process that resulted in one player who was better than an average starter.  That one player -- Kemba -- is a quality, All-Star caliber player, but clearly in the second or third tier of NBA stars.

Yea I think the one move, and there have been a lot that killed them, but the death knell was MKG at number 2. If they get either of the guys taken in the few picks after him, beal or lillard, They have a very different team.

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 03:23:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Not that MKG was ever going to be better than Beal or Lillard, but I do wonder what he might have been like had he not kept getting injured.  It just seemed like he was always injured with something and the multiple injuries to the shoulder really messed him up. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 04:29:39 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 04:49:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not that MKG was ever going to be better than Beal or Lillard, but I do wonder what he might have been like had he not kept getting injured.  It just seemed like he was always injured with something and the multiple injuries to the shoulder really messed him up.
I think at best MKG could have been Ariza. But that's assuming MKG learned how to shoot, which is a huge assumption. I was never high on MKG. You could see Beal had awesome offensive upside while he was at Florida. Thought for sure he was going #2 that year.

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 07:06:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I think at best MKG could have been Ariza. But that's assuming MKG learned how to shoot, which is a huge assumption. I was never high on MKG. You could see Beal had awesome offensive upside while he was at Florida. Thought for sure he was going #2 that year.
Oh don't get me wrong, Beal should have been the pick at the time (hindsight obviously Lillard), but I think MKG could have been a great defender, like best wing defender in the league great.  His defensive impact as a rookie was quite impressive.  Then the injuries started and he lost what made him so great defensively. 

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I feel like the hope with MKG was that he would be similar to Gerald Wallace.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 09:52:11 PM »

Offline sirnastee

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
Hornets fans are lucky.  Wizards are definitely more disappointing. 

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 09:54:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hornets fans are lucky.  Wizards are definitely more disappointing.
I don't think I'd go thaaaat far
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
From a "disappointing" standpoint, I'd say the Lakers over the past 6 seasons.  First time in their history that they've missed the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.  Only the Kings (13) and Suns (9) have longer current droughts.  I think the Lakers have the most losses of any team over those 6 seasons but don't have much to show from their draft picks.  They've struck out on a lot of top free agents.  And when they get Lebron they still miss the playoffs. 

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
From a "disappointing" standpoint, I'd say the Lakers over the past 6 seasons.  First time in their history that they've missed the playoffs for 6 straight seasons.  Only the Kings (13) and Suns (9) have longer current droughts.  I think the Lakers have the most losses of any team over those 6 seasons but don't have much to show from their draft picks.  They've struck out on a lot of top free agents.  And when they get Lebron they still miss the playoffs.

I agree, but look at the Hornets. Look at the Lakers. They stunk for the past 6 years, let go of Russell, Randle, and Lopez for nothing.

And then they got LeBron.

I don't like LeBron, but he's still the best player in the playoffs.

And, I think that is also another problem that lies with Hornets, just not being a free agent destination.

They either embrace the tank, or use their assets to bring someone in.

I was gonna say JV, would have been nice on the Hornets.

I hope Walker gets some help; or see his services elsewhere, because his scoring is fun to watch.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 06:49:41 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
the reason the hornets suck is because of the structure of the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
the reason the hornets suck is because of the structure of the NBA.
no its because Jordan sucks as an owner.  I think there are real arguments that he is the worst owner in the NBA and a bottom 5 owner in all of sports.  I mean aside from Jordan, Dolan is the only other owner I think could be considered the worst NBA owner right now.  And it isn't just that Jordan is cheap, he interferes, and his interference almost always has disastrous consequences (like the Frank Kaminisky trade debacle).  The Hornets suck because Jordan sucks.  At least he finally hired a GM with a track record.  Now granted Kuptchak isn't an elite GM, but he at least found some success in the league.

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 10:02:26 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
This year?  the C's.

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 11:15:16 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Hot take: Michael Jordan was a better player than NBA executive