Author Topic: Report: Porzingis accused of rape in New York  (Read 9202 times)

Re: Report: Porzingis accused of rape in New York
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 10:18:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Really believable. A young professional basketball player, who's good looking, is earning a lot of money, has had a good education and hasn't shown any signs of troubling behaviour is just going to rape some poor woman?

Fake news.
Uhhh, probably a bit too dismissive of that. This attitude is almost everything that stops victims coming forward.

I'm not saying he's definitely guilty or definitely innocent - way too early to say. But this kind of stuff is unacceptable

Come on. The story doesn't make any sense.

''Oh man, I just got r*ped, what an awful experience! I'm going to the police! Oh, wait, I'm being offered $68.000 to keep quiet. That's a really reasonable deal, maybe I should take it? How is getting him to justice going to help me? It's not like he'll doing something like that again. Let's just wait a year and see how I think about it then. ...a year later... I think I'll go to the police, those payments aren't coming in soon, so sorry but you missed your chance to pay me off, now I'm going to tell on you! Come to think of it, I really didn't like that rape incident.''
That doesn't mean you should brush it aside because KP is a multi-millionaire pro athlete in his early 20's. We've seen athletes do this before.

Victims of rape & sexual assault explicitly outline this kind of behaviour as why they wouldn't come forward. You can surely see the problem with that.

Of course victims of rape & sexual assault should feel safe to come out with their stories.
However this one doesn't make sense. And a lot of those stories don't.

'Some rich famous guy with some emotional distress, has a couple of drinks, gets horny, loses his boundaries and just rapes some poor woman.' 

Just really think about it. How likely is that to happen often?

How many times did you get drunk and (almost) raped someone?
Has it ever crossed your mind? Do you have moral obstacles?
Do you think that some drinks will remove your moral boundaries for such an act?

You don't have to answer those questions. Just realize that even though they're famous people, they're still people.
Who have morals just like me and you. People make mistakes, but raping someone is not just a mistake that happens frequently.

Personally I rate the chance bigger that I'd kill someone in my lifetime than rape someone. And I've never physically assaulted anyone in my life.
Kobe Bryant and Ben Roethlisberger say hello.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 10:38:31 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Really believable. A young professional basketball player, who's good looking, is earning a lot of money, has had a good education and hasn't shown any signs of troubling behaviour is just going to rape some poor woman?

Fake news.
Uhhh, probably a bit too dismissive of that. This attitude is almost everything that stops victims coming forward.

I'm not saying he's definitely guilty or definitely innocent - way too early to say. But this kind of stuff is unacceptable

''Oh man, I just got r*ped, what an awful experience! I'm going to the police! Oh, wait, I'm being offered $68.000 to keep quiet. That's a really reasonable deal, maybe I should take it? How is getting him to justice going to help me? It's not like he'll doing something like that again. Let's just wait a year and see how I think about it then. ...a year later... I think I'll go to the police, those payments aren't coming in soon, so sorry but you missed your chance to pay me off, now I'm going to tell on you! Come to think of it, I really didn't like that rape incident.''

Are you saying that there are no possible downsides to going to the police, or no reason to take hush money if it actually happened? There's absolutely the chance that (if he did it) he could have gotten away with it and she could have been left with nothing but a bad reputation and her name being dragged through the mud

I mean, we couldn't even get 1 comment into this thread without someone implying that she lied/saying that Porzingis definitely didn't do it because he's young and successful. You don't think she would have faced similar responses a year ago?

But actions have consequences. If she appeared to be more interested in compensation than justice, and waited over a year to do anything beyond negotiating a payout, it’s perfectly natural for people to think it’s dubious and that she may be lying.

It’s wrong to not even consider the possibility that she may be telling the truth, but she dug herself into a hole here. I know a disturbingly large amount of women who were raped, Ive personally dated a half dozen or so. They went to police, moved out of state, said/did nothing, etc. But this woman’s response isn’t normal, and it’s absurd to suggest we stop thinking critically because the topic is rape, but that we should think critically about everything else.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 10:40:22 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

That doesn't mean you should brush it aside because KP is a multi-millionaire pro athlete in his early 20's. We've seen athletes do this before.

Victims of rape & sexual assault explicitly outline this kind of behaviour as why they wouldn't come forward. You can surely see the problem with that.

Of course victims of rape & sexual assault should feel safe to come out with their stories.

'Some rich famous guy with some emotional distress, has a couple of drinks, gets horny, loses his boundaries and just rapes some poor woman.' 

Do you think that some drinks will remove your moral boundaries for such an act?

You don't have to answer those questions. Just realize that even though they're famous people, they're still people.
Who have morals just like me and you. People make mistakes, but raping someone is not just a mistake that happens frequently.

Personally I rate the chance bigger that I'd kill someone in my lifetime than rape someone. And I've never physically assaulted anyone in my life.

You need to re-familiarize yourself with the Kobe case, you are making the opposite of the argument you intend to make. Ben however is scum from what I can tell.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 11:09:09 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

You need to re-familiarize yourself with the Kobe case, you are making the opposite of the argument you intend to make. Ben however is scum from what I can tell.

Read the police report from the Kobe case. I didn't and still don't believe he was innocent, but his defense team thoroughly put the focus on the victim's reputation. It was a classic "sully the name of the accuser" situation.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 12:08:32 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I find it odd how a lot of these PR accusations are coming out of the barn lately. First Boogie accusing Boston fan of yelling racial slur but that was a few months ago.

Then this accused rape case between a woman and Porzingis that also happened a while ago, too, apparently.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 01:19:59 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

Read the police report from the Kobe case. I didn't and still don't believe he was innocent, but his defense team thoroughly put the focus on the victim's reputation. It was a classic "sully the name of the accuser" situation.

I thought it was indisputable that the hotel employee, right after the incident with Kobe or within 24 hours, went and had rough sex with at least 1 other man to exacerbate the effects of the encounter with Kobe and thus basically doctored evidence and lied about it, along with doing some other shady things.  This is a very sensitive topic and I don't mean to offend anyone, but that sounds like a setup to me, though I admit to being biased on this topic because I've been in serious relationships with victims and lived with the awful lifelong effects it can have. 

There's nothing more disgusting than rape or harming children and so to me, that makes falsely accusing someone of rape quite disgusting as well.  Perhaps I need to revisit the details of the Kobe case and am letting my feelings interfere.

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 02:14:28 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Impossible to really make a judgement on this on the little information we have available.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 02:49:29 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

I read this and literally thought to myself "Ya, that sounds a lot like something that might happen." You are viewing this through the prism of a normal human being. Of course it seems improbably to you, but 1 in 5 woman are victims of sexual assault by the time they turn 70. Given that, I don't out of hand dismiss any allegation.

That said, its impossible to make any determination one way or another based on what we know.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 03:51:24 AM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

Victims of rape & sexual assault explicitly outline this kind of behaviour as why they wouldn't come forward. You can surely see the problem with that
What kind of behaviour exactly?  Doubting her accusations, because she waited for one year before going to the police and talking with the rapist about paying her off to be quiet? That has nothing to do with true victims not coming forward. You think we wouldn't believe her if she had medical proof and went to the police immediately? That would be a totally different story, but this? On another note, we should always be careful about jumping to conclusions, because there have been numerous false rape accusations recently and such a thing can really ruin a man's life, before the court even finds out if they're guilty or not.

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2019, 04:01:01 AM »

Online CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

I read this and literally thought to myself "Ya, that sounds a lot like something that might happen." You are viewing this through the prism of a normal human being. Of course it seems improbably to you, but 1 in 5 woman are victims of sexual assault by the time they turn 70. Given that, I don't out of hand dismiss any allegation.

That said, its impossible to make any determination one way or another based on what we know.
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Per FBI stats the rape rate is 41.2 per 100.000 inhabitants. It's really interesting how the phrase sexual assault is used now more than rape, because you can really broaden it's meaning.

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2019, 07:55:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

I thought it was indisputable that the hotel employee, right after the incident with Kobe or within 24 hours, went and had rough sex with at least 1 other man to exacerbate the effects of the encounter with Kobe and thus basically doctored evidence and lied about it, along with doing some other shady things.  This is a very sensitive topic and I don't mean to offend anyone, but that sounds like a setup to me, though I admit to being biased on this topic because I've been in serious relationships with victims and lived with the awful lifelong effects it can have. 

There's nothing more disgusting than rape or harming children and so to me, that makes falsely accusing someone of rape quite disgusting as well.  Perhaps I need to revisit the details of the Kobe case and am letting my feelings interfere.
you don't issue formal apologies where you basically admit you raped someone if it didn't happen.  Kobe raped her.
https://www.thenation.com/article/wrestling-in-with-kobe-bryants-forgotten-apology/
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 08:14:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Impossible to really make a judgement on this on the little information we have available.

Yes. This.

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 08:17:02 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

100%

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2019, 11:15:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
This news just knocked me over like a ton of bricks .  He doesn't strike me as some wierdo sicky in no shape or form.  Im calling shenanigans until better evidence is presented

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2019, 11:45:30 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Per FBI stats the rape rate is 41.2 per 100.000 inhabitants. It's really interesting how the phrase sexual assault is used now more than rape, because you can really broaden it's meaning.

The problem with that stat you site is that it is A) Based on one year, I'm talking about the percentage of women who experience sexual assault during their lifetime. B) Only includes rape, a much narrower definition than sexual assault, and C) Is based of reporting data, and a majority of sexual assaults are not reported.