Author Topic: Report: Porzingis accused of rape in New York  (Read 9203 times)

Report: Porzingis accused of rape in New York
« on: March 30, 2019, 08:22:55 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26401287/porzingis-accused-rape-new-york

The woman told police on Thursday about the alleged attack, according to the Post report, which cited law enforcement sources. The woman reportedly told police that she waited more than a year to come forward because she had discussed getting $68,000 from Porzingis to keep quiet.

Porzingis' attorney, Roland G. Riopelle, denied the allegations and said they had previously referred the case to federal authorities due to the "accuser's extortionate demands."

Re: Report: Porzingis accused of rape in New York
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:34:40 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Really believable. A young professional basketball player, who's good looking, is earning a lot of money, has had a good education and hasn't shown any signs of troubling behaviour is just going to rape some poor woman?

Fake news.   

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:50:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Really believable. A young professional basketball player, who's good looking, is earning a lot of money, has had a good education and hasn't shown any signs of troubling behaviour is just going to rape some poor woman?

Fake news.
Uhhh, probably a bit too dismissive of that. This attitude is almost everything that stops victims coming forward.

I'm not saying he's definitely guilty or definitely innocent - way too early to say. But this kind of stuff is unacceptable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 08:58:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
She should have gone to the hospital and the police when it happened. That she decided to go to him for a monetary payout seriously calls into question her side of the story. She would have easily when a civil case if she had proof of the rape. Now it's just he said she said.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 09:08:09 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.
Uhhh, probably a bit too dismissive of that. This attitude is almost everything that stops victims coming forward.

I'm not saying he's definitely guilty or definitely innocent - way too early to say. But this kind of stuff is unacceptable

Come on. The story doesn't make any sense.

''Oh man, I just got r*ped, what an awful experience! I'm going to the police! Oh, wait, I'm being offered $68.000 to keep quiet. That's a really reasonable deal, maybe I should take it? How is getting him to justice going to help me? It's not like he'll doing something like that again. Let's just wait a year and see how I think about it then. ...a year later... I think I'll go to the police, those payments aren't coming in soon, so sorry but you missed your chance to pay me off, now I'm going to tell on you! Come to think of it, I really didn't like that rape incident.''   

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

''Oh man, I just got r*ped, what an awful experience! I'm going to the police! Oh, wait, I'm being offered $68.000 to keep quiet. That's a really reasonable deal, maybe I should take it? How is getting him to justice going to help me? It's not like he'll doing something like that again. Let's just wait a year and see how I think about it then. ...a year later... I think I'll go to the police, those payments aren't coming in soon, so sorry but you missed your chance to pay me off, now I'm going to tell on you! Come to think of it, I really didn't like that rape incident.''
That doesn't mean you should brush it aside because KP is a multi-millionaire pro athlete in his early 20's. We've seen athletes do this before.

Victims of rape & sexual assault explicitly outline this kind of behaviour as why they wouldn't come forward. You can surely see the problem with that

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 09:20:10 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

That doesn't mean you should brush it aside because KP is a multi-millionaire pro athlete in his early 20's. We've seen athletes do this before.

Victims of rape & sexual assault explicitly outline this kind of behaviour as why they wouldn't come forward. You can surely see the problem with that

Gouki I feel like you and I agree on pretty much everything, but this stinks to high heaven. Do victims of rape who outline this kind of thing as why they wouldn’t come forward usually negotiate payouts like this woman?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 09:24:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

Gouki I feel like you and I agree on pretty much everything, but this stinks to high heaven. Do victims of rape who outline this kind of thing as why they wouldn’t come forward usually negotiate payouts like this woman?
I probably could have done better expressing myself - in terms of this case in particular, I'm incredibly skeptical. The story doesn't seem to make sense.

I more have a problem with the general attitude that "a good looking, wealthy, young and attractive pro athlete" wouldn't do something like this.

I think pre-conceived ideas like that can be harmful when judging something as serious as rape. That being said, her story seems very questionable to me

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

I probably could have done better expressing myself - in terms of this case in particular, I'm incredibly skeptical. The story doesn't seem to make sense.

I more have a problem with the general attitude that "a good looking, wealthy, young and attractive pro athlete" wouldn't do something like this.

I think pre-conceived ideas like that can be harmful when judging something as serious as rape. That being said, her story seems very questionable to me

Ok I 100% agree with all that... As usual lol
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 09:37:00 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

Victims of rape & sexual assault explicitly outline this kind of behaviour as why they wouldn't come forward. You can surely see the problem with that.

Of course victims of rape & sexual assault should feel safe to come out with their stories.
However this one doesn't make sense. And a lot of those stories don't.

'Some rich famous guy with some emotional distress, has a couple of drinks, gets horny, loses his boundaries and just rapes some poor woman.' 

Just really think about it. How likely is that to happen often?

How many times did you get drunk and (almost) raped someone?
Has it ever crossed your mind? Do you have moral obstacles?
Do you think that some drinks will remove your moral boundaries for such an act?

You don't have to answer those questions. Just realize that even though they're famous people, they're still people.
Who have morals just like me and you. People make mistakes, but raping someone is not just a mistake that happens frequently.

Personally I rate the chance bigger that I'd kill someone in my lifetime than rape someone. And I've never physically assaulted anyone in my life.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 09:37:35 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

Are you saying that there are no possible downsides to going to the police, or no reason to take hush money if it actually happened? There's absolutely the chance that (if he did it) he could have gotten away with it and she could have been left with nothing but a bad reputation and her name being dragged through the mud

I mean, we couldn't even get 1 comment into this thread without someone implying that she lied/saying that Porzingis definitely didn't do it because he's young and successful. You don't think she would have faced similar responses a year ago?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

Are you saying that there are no possible downsides to going to the police, or no reason to take hush money if it actually happened? There's absolutely the chance that (if he did it) he could have gotten away with it and she could have been left with nothing but a bad reputation and her name being dragged through the mud

I mean, we couldn't even get 1 comment into this thread without someone implying that she lied/saying that Porzingis definitely didn't do it because he's young and successful. You don't think she would have faced similar responses a year ago?

If it really happened, there would have been evidence. Physical injuries, DNA.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 09:45:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Too early to tell anything. I’d like to see the communications between the parties. For instance, who offered to settle this for money first?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 09:51:28 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Sure.  ;D ;D ;D

Fake news.

If it really happened, there would have been evidence. Physical injuries, DNA.

And, again: do you honestly think that would have guaranteed a conviction? Or guaranteed that nobody accused her of lying and tried to drag her name through the mud? Not to mention the intense emotional component of deciding to go to the police right after a traumatic event like that

I'm certainly saying that it happened (the story raises a lot of questions), but outright dismissing the possibility that it did happen and ignoring the very real reasons that people don't always come forward right away is just ridiculous
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 09:54:40 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Well, I very much hope he didn't much more than the alternative. Although the alternative isn't that great a scenario either.