Author Topic: Our three point shooting is way down from last year  (Read 3852 times)

Re: Our three point shooting is way down from last year
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Brown is lost on offense.

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2018, 08:47:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
The big problem as I see it is this. Nobody is driving to the rim. So instead we pass the ball around the perimeter and take a shot without cuasing any panic, movement or reaction from the defense. These threes are easier to defend. I think the guys shooting very low like Brown will shoot better, small sample size is still a thing. The difference between 28% (awful) and 39%(great) is like 7-8 makes right now. But overall as long as we shoot threes off stagnant offense we will shoot less than our talent would indicate we should.
actually, the celtics are among the league leaders in open 3 point shots. they are simply missing them.
because most of the team isn't really all that good at shooting 3 pointers.  Last year was just a flukey season.  Now they are better then they've shown thus far, but if you put this season and last season together, the team is just regressing to the mean.
Who in particular, out of our guys that take threes, aren't good shooters? Or more specifically, who is shooting as you'd expect them to?
Hayward is obviously shooting poorly, but I expected him to for awhile.  Other than him only Horford and Brown are lower than I would expect (but last year for both was better than it should have been).  On the other side Morris and Baynes are shooting better than I would expect.  Everyone else is about what you should reasonably expect from them i.e. Irving, Tatum, Rozier, and Smart.  So 4 guys as expected, 2 guys better than expected, 2 guys worse then expected, and then Hayward who I expected to struggle for awhile.

But you see that is the thing, Irving and maybe Tatum are the only guys on the team that are great shooters (and I don't think either is truly elite in that department).  Boston is a team with a bunch of good shooters (and Smart), but it isn't set up to all that well to live and die by the 3 pointer because it isn't a team with a bunch of elite shooters.  Boston isn't Golden State with 3 of the best shooters in the league yet it runs its offense like it is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

But you see that is the thing, Irving and maybe Tatum are the only guys on the team that are great shooters (and I don't think either is truly elite in that department).  Boston is a team with a bunch of good shooters (and Smart), but it isn't set up to all that well to live and die by the 3 pointer because it isn't a team with a bunch of elite shooters. 

I more or less agree with this.  The Celtics should focus on getting to the basket more.  They have plenty of guys who should be able to pressure a defense inside. 

Hayward being skittish about going into the paint makes sense.

The other guys ... I don't get it. 

As you say, if you have a lot of great shooters you can gear your offense around creating three point shots first and foremost and let other shots flow from that.

The Celts don't have that kind of roster.  They have a very, very talented roster, but it seems like they ought to make more use of the fact that they have a bunch of guys who should be able to go off the dribble and create space to get inside.

The Celts offense seems like it ought to be geared towards pressuring a defense with movement and attacking speed mismatches, and kick out to open shooters only when the defense sells out to stop the drive.

Now, I don't know if the Celts have a lot of great inside finishers, either.  Rozier, Brown, Smart all have issues finishing inside.  But your offense is going to struggle hard if you don't at least try to get inside. 

At the very least the Celts ought to be able to generate a lot more free throws instead of being one of the worst teams in the league at that.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Celtics should spend a lot more time at practice shooting threes.

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
I think having Kyrie and Hayward starting makes us less athletic.

I want to see Robert Williams play. We need what he has.
Williams would make it worse because they'd be playing 4 on 5 offensively.

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2018, 02:43:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The Celtics should spend a lot more time at practice shooting threes.

They should spend a lot more time at practice running plays that get guys an open lane to the basket.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2018, 03:44:12 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

But you see that is the thing, Irving and maybe Tatum are the only guys on the team that are great shooters (and I don't think either is truly elite in that department).  Boston is a team with a bunch of good shooters (and Smart), but it isn't set up to all that well to live and die by the 3 pointer because it isn't a team with a bunch of elite shooters. 

I more or less agree with this.  The Celtics should focus on getting to the basket more.  They have plenty of guys who should be able to pressure a defense inside. 

Hayward being skittish about going into the paint makes sense.

The other guys ... I don't get it. 

As you say, if you have a lot of great shooters you can gear your offense around creating three point shots first and foremost and let other shots flow from that.

The Celts don't have that kind of roster.  They have a very, very talented roster, but it seems like they ought to make more use of the fact that they have a bunch of guys who should be able to go off the dribble and create space to get inside.

The Celts offense seems like it ought to be geared towards pressuring a defense with movement and attacking speed mismatches, and kick out to open shooters only when the defense sells out to stop the drive.

Now, I don't know if the Celts have a lot of great inside finishers, either.  Rozier, Brown, Smart all have issues finishing inside.  But your offense is going to struggle hard if you don't at least try to get inside. 

At the very least the Celts ought to be able to generate a lot more free throws instead of being one of the worst teams in the league at that.

I agree that Hayward being skittish in the paint is normal, and he will gradually get over it.

Smart and Kyrie are not at all skittish going to the paint.

Horford however is, and he drives me nuts passing up 2 ft shots to kick the ball out to guys at the 3 pt line who are not even open.

Jaylen should be skittish going to the paint because if he gets fouled he's a terrible free throw shooter.

Rozier should be going to the paint every time, Tatum too. Instead they pull up for mid-range shots or floaters, which is hurting the offense.

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 04:11:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Getting fouled, going to the line, and shooting 1/2 would still be better than a lot of the offensive trips the Celts are getting right now.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 04:14:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
The worst part of the missed 3s, well maybe the second worst thing is the long rebounds that lead to layups on the other end.

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The worst part of the missed 3s, well maybe the second worst thing is the long rebounds that lead to layups on the other end.

On the positive side of things, the Celts are very good at defensive rebounding and actually don't give up very many fast break points per game.
- Mark Twain