Author Topic: C's roster 9-17 needs totally rebuilt!  (Read 5279 times)

Re: C's roster 9-17 needs totally rebuilt!
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2020, 03:22:38 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I also think it's a specific type of player on the bench that we're missing. We've got Smart - could be a starter, run the offense, defense, energy, effort, etc. We've got Kanter - could also be a starter, big, offense in the post, rebounding. But we don't have that dude who can get buckets. Yes, Kanter and Smart both have their nights, but we need one guy who can reliably score the ball.

Maybe that's Romeo, and that would be great, but it's unlikely he does that this season. Wannamaker? 3rd string PG. Who else? IMO we need one more bench guy who is either:

- A scoring forward a la Gallinari
- A competent team player who does a little bit of everything and competes a la Saric
- A 3-pt marksman a la Bertans or Danny Green (know he's not available)

...and I want that guy WITHOUT giving up Smart, Hayward, Theis, Kanter, etc. I want it all!!
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
These are the players....and why they'll never make it and need to be replaced...IMHO!

RWilliams: just can't stay healthy...too bad, cause he's got some potential
Wannamaker: there's a reason he played overseas for the last several years
VPoirier: just not very skilled
Semi: why is he even on an NBA roster, nevermind ours!
Tacko: fun craze, but his ceiling is Boban
Romeo: see RW
Tremont: really like the little guy, and MIGHT be worth keeping around for awhile
JGreen: good for the highlite reel, not much else
CEdwards: turned loose on the right team he will succeed, but not with the too restrictive Celtics! Great shooter who's afraid to shoot!  A shame!

Our huge lack of talent on our bench is KILLING US!  Plenty of good talent languishing on benches around the league!  DA needs to get busy and rebuild our bench, or this team is going nowhere come playoff time!

If Brad Stevens gave these players consistent roles maybe they would be comfortable enough to go out there and produce. A lot of posters on this forum often say that Stevens "tinkers" during the season, but players need consistent defined roles to succeed. You can't play a guy 20 minutes one night then DNP the next. Langford is a great pick and roll player but Stevens has him standing in the corner. Same for Edwards. The problem here isn't the bench, it's Stevens.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2020, 03:36:20 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
These are the players....and why they'll never make it and need to be replaced...IMHO!

Tremont: really like the little guy, and MIGHT be worth keeping around for awhile
CEdwards: turned loose on the right team he will succeed, but not with the too restrictive Celtics! Great shooter who's afraid to shoot!  A shame!

Our huge lack of talent on our bench is KILLING US!  Plenty of good talent languishing on benches around the league!  DA needs to get busy and rebuild our bench, or this team is going nowhere come playoff time!

If Brad Stevens gave these players consistent roles maybe they would be comfortable enough to go out there and produce. A lot of posters on this forum often say that Stevens "tinkers" during the season, but players need consistent defined roles to succeed. You can't play a guy 20 minutes one night then DNP the next. Langford is a great pick and roll player but Stevens has him standing in the corner. Same for Edwards. The problem here isn't the bench, it's Stevens.
Can you name one player that performed better after leaving the Celtics and Brad?

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 03:55:39 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

Can you name one player that performed better after leaving the Celtics and Brad?

I had a good look through the list of players that have played for Boston since Brad has been coach.

The only player I can see that has performed better elsewhere is Abdul Nader.

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 04:07:00 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I cannot, but the argument can be made that those guys were already on the downside which is why they were let go in the first place. If Stevens is such a great coach, can someone please tell me how his "tinkering" is helping instead of hurting? This guy is all over the place as a coach but the fanbase loves him for some reason. It's crazy.

He's starting Daniel Theis at center. Theis has no business starting in the NBA but Stevens gets no blame for this.

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2020, 04:59:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There’s a reason we’re the most inexperienced team in the league. We aren’t only built to win now, and I’m not sure it’s a mere bench upgrade that will get us to that level. I think our best hope is to develop our youth, and in 2-3 years have Tatum & Brown in their peak, Kemba & Hayward still around, Smart, Grant, Langford & a big (Timelord, Kanter, Theis, Fall?) off the bench. The peak wings could win it all for us.

That being said, if Ariza were two years younger I’d love him here
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2020, 05:01:07 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
There’s a reason we’re the most inexperienced team in the league. We aren’t built to win now, and I’m not sure it’s a mere bench upgrade that will get us to that level. I think our best hope is to develop our youth, and in 2-3 years have Tatum & Brown in their peak, Kemba & Hayward still around, Smart, Grant, Langford & a big (Timelord, Kanter, Theis, Fall?) off the bench. The peak wings could win it all for us.

That being said, if Ariza were two years younger I’d love him here

I agree  :) 

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This team hasn't been struggling because of the end of its bench. It's been struggling because the starters have frequently been ran off the court by lesser players.
Yup.  The team has lost 4 of the last 6 which, like most teams, is due to the top 8-9 players and among those due to the poor performance of the starters. 

That said, I understand the frustration so understandable that folks are trying to come up with something to shake things  up.

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2020, 07:04:10 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
All I'm saying is most of our bench is very ineffective for one reason or another,and players like TYoung, JJBarrea, JMGeen, and many more would be available for almost nothing.

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2020, 07:16:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
All I'm saying is most of our bench is very ineffective for one reason or another,and players like TYoung, JJBarrea, JMGeen, and many more would be available for almost nothing.
This isn’t quite true. Barea is loved by Cuban and Carlisle, and Dallas is a good team this year - no reason to ship him. Thad Young is on $13m a year for this season and next, so no real way to get him either.

McGee (I assume he’s who you meant) will not be traded to us. He’s the starting center for the Lakers.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2020, 08:16:26 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
This isn’t quite true. Barea is loved by Cuban and Carlisle, and Dallas is a good team this year - no reason to ship him. Thad Young is on $13m a year for this season and next, so no real way to get him either.

McGee (I assume he’s who you meant) will not be traded to us. He’s the starting center for the Lakers.

I thought he meant JaMychal Green of the Clips but I don't think he's getting traded to us either, although I guess he's not really a top 8 rotation player for them. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2020, 09:01:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
And the problem with the team is not the bench it is at the top.  Boston's best player is significantly worse then the real contenders and the 2nd best player is worse then many of the other top contenders 2nd best player.  Boston matches up very well 3-6 with the top contenders, but when you aren't good enough at the top that is the real issue.  The weaker inexperienced bench doesn't help either, but in the playoffs that matters very little and at the end of the day Boston just isn't good enough at the top of the roster (which has been Boston's real issue since KG got old).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip