Author Topic: BOS / DEN trade idea  (Read 30461 times)

Re: BOS / DEN trade idea
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 03:53:43 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I don't like this at all. Camby is a too thin big man who has missed 30+ % of the games in his career. He is 34 years old and is going to start slowing down quickly. His game is built on athleticism and quickness and this will make him older faster. Perk is a 23 yr old improving player who has a legitimate center's strength. His extra long arms make him play much bigger than his height. He will be a solid defensive presence for years to come and should get better offensively as he goes.

BBD is definitely a duplicate of Powe, but can be traded for something better.

TA can be traded for a sack of rusty nails as far as I am concerned...

I understand your concerns of Camby slowing down but keep in mind he only has two years left on his contract. Therefore we have the luxury of obtaining  a  defensive impact player on a short term basis. If the experiment doesn't work then we have an attractive expiring contract next summer. This deal would be a no-brainer from a Celtics perspective and I would love the idea of:

5. Camby
4. Garnett
3. PP
2. RA
1. RR

Thats just not fair...
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

Offline MrsNumba17

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • I Love NUMBA 17 !
I agree with EJPLAYA !
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"
~Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How is a defensive player of the year for three bench players (in Denver) a fair trade? Perkins is too slow for Denver, and lets be honest at 6 pts 6 rebs he's not a lock to be  starting Center on another team. This trade isn't fair at all, Camby is very valuable. To be fair it would have to be something like "Powe, Perkins and a first rounder" or something.

Camby is 33 years old, and has had repeated injury problems in his past.  Denver is looking to clear his salary.  I think you overstate your case when you call Camby "very valuable".  When a young, in his prime Pau Gasol gets you nothing other than cap room and a couple of late #1s, I don't think Camby will be bringing Denver a windfall.

I think the "he's too slow" argument is a fallacy; great teams need somebody to start the fast break, and Perk may throw the best outlet pass in the entire NBA among centers. 

Quote from: wdleehi
As to back it up, opposing C have a 17.9 per against Camby.  Camby's own per will drop with the Celtics because
1) The Celtics have defensive perimeter players.  There will not be the same number of block shot opportunities.
2) The rebounding will drop because of playing next to KG and having to come away from the basket as part of the Celtics defense.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07DEN17C.HTM

Opposing C have a 14.2 per against Perkins.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07BOS14C.HTM

I think it's unfair to use Opponent's PER against Camby.  He is penalized greatly by the system he plays in, while Perk benefits immensely.  When Camby is forced to choose to cover his man or the man who just beat Carmello off the dribble, it's inevitable that the opposing center is going to pick up some cheap buckets.  That reflects negatively on Camby's Opponent's PER, when in reality there was nothing else he could have done.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 03:57:21 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If we give up all our young core guys we will be in last years situation again in about 3-4 years though. If I could guarantee a championship then maybe, but I don't see that this really does anything but prevent us from having as deep a bench. 3 guys money becomes 1 guy. It was hard enough to attract free agents without PP, Ray, and KG all off this team in a few years and all our young talent gone. We'll have another 20_ year drought!

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'd say keep Perk. The C's need him for low post man to man defense. And then the $$ saved by not getting Camby can go to upcoming free agents.

Now lets play a fantasy scenario. If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
If we give up all our young core guys we will be in last years situation again in about 3-4 years though. If I could guarantee a championship then maybe, but I don't see that this really does anything but prevent us from having as deep a bench. 3 guys money becomes 1 guy. It was hard enough to attract free agents without PP, Ray, and KG all off this team in a few years and all our young talent gone. We'll have another 20_ year drought!

Is Danny going to stop Drafting in this time?  Did we lose Draft picks I don't know about (we owe the Wolves 1)?  The only player that is not replaceable on this roster under the age of 24 is Rajon. Keep in mind:

1. Ownership will pay luxury tax
-Resign FA's (House, Posey)
- MLE's
2. Expiring Contracts
3. Future Draft picks

We have a 7 year window here and I think it extended when DA manages the things mentioned above correctly.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 04:08:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
I'd say keep Perk. The C's need him for low post man to man defense. And then the $$ saved by not getting Camby can go to upcoming free agents.

Now lets play a fantasy scenario. If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)

Thats not the way the soft cap works. We would have no extra money to spend of FA's only the MLE

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 04:10:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
The trade would definitely be an upgrade for us for the near future (next 2 years), but worry that Camby could get hurt, or get old real quick.  I also think that while Camby is a much better player than Perk, Perk's style better complements KG's style, as KG and Camby both tend to take perimeter jumpers, something that you never see Perk do.  I would be more against this trade if Perk could somehow stay out of foul trouble, and get more minutes, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It is getting worse, not better. All said, I would make this trade.

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
"That reflects negatively on Camby's Opponent's PER, when in reality there was nothing else he could have done." (Roy Hobbs)

Thats a good point Roy, Denvers system had defensive dysfunction.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 04:13:58 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
34 years old? No, thanks.

A center made of glass on a team planning on playing about 100 games per season?  Not a good idea.  A HUGE risk that is not worth taking.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 04:16:50 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)
I'd take Alonzo's 16-22mpg over Camby's 35. Now that's a great defensive player. He'd be brilliant for Perkins too.

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
If Alonzo Mourning were signed by the C's this off season, then I'd be all for the Camby trade. :)
I'd take Alonzo's 16-22mpg over Camby's 35. Now that's a great defensive player. He'd be brilliant for Perkins too.

Is Alonzo actually considering playing another season?

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 04:21:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Is Alonzo actually considering playing another season?
Doubt it. If he does I doubt he leaves Miami anyway. I believe his stance is that he hasn't ruled anything in or out yet.

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 04:23:14 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Thats not the way the soft cap works. We would have no extra money to spend of FA's only the MLE

Right, but ownership would be more willing to spend the full MLE if the salaries were kept down a little. If the C's grabbed Camby, I doubt the owners would want to go deeper into tax land by spending the full MLE (and LLE for that matter).

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2008, 04:25:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this trade would be a trade made to put the finishing touch on the Celtics to help take them over the hump if they don't win the championship. It's short term based and a seriously risky gamble. Perk is a 23 year old, developing center signed to a friendly contract. He has yet to break 25 minutes per game on a yearly basis. If Perk could improve more and start being used 30+ minutes a game, he could become close to a double double guy with the starters he is playing with.

If the Celtics win the championship there is zero chance of this happening. If they don't, it could be a possibility, although Danny is really high on Perk.

I say hold onto Perk and get Baby into shape. I like the idea of building a solid, young base behind the GPA.