Author Topic: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"  (Read 14684 times)

Re: Woj: Celtics "standing pat"
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:08 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I would have been ok with Ainge shipping out Bradley for as part of a deal. His contract is up soon and he has been injured a lot the last 2 seasons. I hope he isn't a guy they are trying to build around

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:33 PM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

Woj just said Celtics had both Nets picks on the table.

https://twitter.com/Bulls_Jay/status/834867249232109568

« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2004
The overreactions about standing pat are pretty comical. 

Danny is among the most active and creative GM's in the league.  He's pulled off absolute heists of late, most notably the Brooklyn deal (which in itself serves as evidence of what can happen when you make poor trade decisions) and then later the trade for IT.  He's a master at trading. If he states that no acceptable deals were on the table, then I trust his judgment.  It's fine to be critical of him - we all are at some point - but I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt with regards to trades with his track record.

And to those claiming we're in purgatory clearly are ignoring the fact that we have the best odds of getting the #1 pick this draft and almost certainly no worse than a top 4 pick, along with all of the other assets we posses.  It's nonsense.

« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Thank god.   I genuinely think we would have regretted it hard had we given up the 2017 Brooklyn 1st for a non-superstar like Butler.  The pick has a chance to be a superstar and Butler wouldn't have gotten us over the hump.  We sure as hell could have regretted it had we given up the pick for a 1.3 year rental of Paul George before he flees to the Lakers.   

Then when you consider the rumor that Indy wasn't just asking for the Brooklyn pick, but also 3 of the 4 following players:  Smart, Jaylen, Bradley and Crowder...  it would have been downright moronic for us to make that move.

Neither CHicago or Indy was ever serious about making a deal.  They just wanted to see if they could fleece the Celtics into giving up 50 bucks on the dollar for a guy doesn't improve you enough to beat the Golden State Globetrotters. 

Fans will be upset, because they are impatient, want "action", don't understand big picture ramifications, the fact that the 2017 Brooklyn 1st has a reasonable chance to be a better player than Butler, don't realize we have a significant chance to sign a major free agent this summer, and don't realize that we wouldn't necessarily even be a better team by making a deal.   

People are dramatically undervaluing how great Bradley and Crowder have been this year.  I wouldn't have been surprised to see either average 20+ points playing on a bad team like Chicago.  They are great defenders and two of the most efficient shooters in the league this season.   Taking the ball out of Thomas hands late in the game makes no sense right now.  He's been terrific.   I really don't think adding one of those name brand stars would have improved us as much as people think.  They don't address our needs at all.

So glad our team didn't make a foolish short-sighted decision.  It's a major relief. 

Scoff at the dream of the Brooklyn 1st, but I genuinely believe the odds of that pick ending up a better player than Butler are greater than the odds a guy like Butler helps us beat Golden State during his 5 year window.

FWIW, It sounds like Bogut will be bought out and I'm pretty sure Golden State can't sign him (having traded him less than a year ago).  So I imagine we'll be one of the teams he'll consider.  He's a good fit here.   That's all we really need to make a good-faith run at a playoff push this year.

I don't disagree with any of this, although it is easy to feel disappointed in the moment that we didn't make a splash.

Still doesn't explain missing out on Cousins, or why we didn't trade for Noel. I'd even take a flier on Okafor.

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2017, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Danny is a great GM but I do think he's overvaluing second round picks here. We had to dump a bunch of those for nothing last year because we couldn't find takers. Would much rather have used one or two to get Gibson/Bogut/Tucker and slightly increase chance of ECF.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

Lol for what? George and Butler together? Nah dude, Pacers would do that deal in a second.

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
The results of the draft lottery are now huge. We absolutely need to get the first pick. If that happens, I would assume we'll have a lot more potential trade options. From the perspective of other teams, I can understand why not knowing where that pick will fall may have decreased our leverage a bit.

I'm interested to hear Danny's take on all of this. On the bright side, we still retained all of our assets, which are much better than anyone else's in the league. But were there more minor deals to be had that would've improved us in the short term while still retaining all key assets?

Lastly, like others have said, there's no way Chicago and Indy were serious about dealing Butler or George if they were asking for that much, as they never would've gotten it.

Study draft more. Watch the games. Simply not true. There are at least 4 awesome players. I doubt Danny has  Fultz 1.

Didn't mean to imply that there's only one player at the top that's clearly better than everyone else. But I do think a prospective trade partner would covet the top pick much more than the second, third or fourth pick, because that guarantees they get their top player. Just from the standpoint of us maximizing our trade leverage, I do think winning the lottery would be huge.

That's fair but I hope we draft not trade.

TP for the discussion.

There's a big part of me that would love to see what Ainge can do with that high of a pick in a loaded draft, see that pick turn into a star and enable us to become contenders for the next 10-15 years. On the other hand, if he gets a great trade offer that immediately makes us contenders and costs us the Nets '17 pick, I'd be fine with it. In a results-oriented business, he needs to be right by either picking a future star with the '17 Nets pick or giving us a great chance of winning Banner 18 and 19 (and maybe more) by trading it away.

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2017, 04:07:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

With how much protection, though?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

If that's true, the Bulls are extremely incompetent for not pouncing on that offer.

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

If that's true, the Bulls are extremely incompetent for not pouncing on that offer.

interesting, i do want more details on that trade then

« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

Also "both on the table" doesn't necessarily mean "as part of the same offer". It might just mean both were among the assets we were willing to discuss.

« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2017, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

not sure if you can protect those

and not sure if i believe ainge would be turned down if he offered that
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2017, 04:11:46 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
Danny is a great GM but I do think he's overvaluing second round picks here. We had to dump a bunch of those for nothing last year because we couldn't find takers. Would much rather have used one or two to get Gibson/Bogut/Tucker and slightly increase chance of ECF.

I would imagine Ainge would have loved to pull off a more minor deal like that to make us better this year without sacrificing any major future assets, but we may not ever know if a deal like that was possible.

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2017, 04:12:55 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

Also "both on the table" doesn't necessarily mean "as part of the same offer". It might just mean both were among the assets we were willing to discuss.

Good points both about the extent of the protection and whether they were part of the same deal or separate deals.

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2017, 04:14:12 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Jason Patt
‏@Bulls_Jay

not sure if you can protect those

and not sure if i believe ainge would be turned down if he offered that

New CBA says that they can be protected. I believe top 2, but unsure. But yes. The Nets picks can now be protected.  That should make it way easier to part with 1 for the right deal.  That said, once again, none of the players available would've put this team past Cleveland, so absolutely no reason to deal.