Author Topic: 24-5-4  (Read 14368 times)

24-5-4
« on: December 23, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
That's the Bruins record as of today.  They're first in the Eastern Conference, and second in the NHL in points.  Phil Kessel has 14 goals and 28 points in the past 18 games (and ranks 3rd in the NHL in goals), Marc Savard is 5th in the NHL in points, and Tim Thomas and Manny Fernandez are both dominating in goal.  Pretty much, the team is on fire...

... and yet, nobody is talking about them.  Is the NHL really that much of a forgotten sport?  Will the city be excited about the Bruins if they carry their play into the playoffs?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: 24-5-4
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I actually tried watching the end of the game last night and found myself more interested in the Futurama 2 hour movie.  I'm trying, I really am.  They're good.  They play hard.  They have bruisers, speedsters, and a good goalie. 

I still think its going to take a good playoff run to get me committed again.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 11:23:43 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I'll be honest.  I'm not a fan of hockey.  Never have been.  So I'm not gonna jump on the bandwagon just because the team is doing good. I'm happy for the Bruins because it's a local team, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if they started losing.

But I've noticed a lot more people wearing Bruins gear around than I've ever noticed before.  And more people are mentioning them in random sports conversation.  NESN Sportsdesk devotes a lot more time to the Bruins than the Celtics, which makes sense since they broadcast there games.

I don't know what kind of attendance they're getting at their games, but I'm sure if they keep it up, the place will be packed soon enough and will definitely be a lot more buzz come playoff time.

Just don't count me as one of the fake fans that will be running around Causeway Street if they win a playoff series and cheering when in reality I know very little about the team.

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:25:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think you're already slowly seeing a buildup of excitement in the city right now.  Its much like the Celtics last season where people were taking a "wait and see what we have here" approach and slowly got drawn into it.

What I've noticed, at least around here, is that people are actually talking about the Bruins and are watching Bruins games. The games are on at bars and people are actually paying attention for once. There is intrigue.  You're seeing casual fans getting drawn back in.  I know my friends and I are actually talking about the B's.  My roommate actually bought one of the mini-packages.  That would've been unheard of even last year.  

The deeper the season gets, the interest will only build. Bruins fans have always been the most diehard of the 4 sports here and if they keep playing this way, it'll really come out.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I think you're already slowly seeing a buildup of excitement in the city right now.  Its much like the Celtics last season where people were taking a "wait and see what we have here" approach and slowly got drawn into it.

What I've noticed, at least around here, is that people are actually talking about the Bruins and are watching Bruins games. The games are on at bars and people are actually paying attention for once. There is intrigue.  You're seeing casual fans getting drawn back in.  I know my friends and I are actually talking about the B's.  My roommate actually bought one of the mini-packages.  That would've been unheard of even last year.  

The deeper the season gets, the interest will only build. Bruins fans have always been the most diehard of the 4 sports here and if they keep playing this way, it'll really come out.

It will build.  But they need to win a series or two in the playoffs.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 11:28:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

It will build.  But they need to win a series or two in the playoffs.

Worked for the C's last year.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 11:31:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I was a giant fan of the Big Bad Bruins of the 70's but when Orr and Espo were sent packing I vowed never to get involved with hockey ever again. That said I admired from afar some of the Bourque teams that made it to the Finals with Neely and that group. I couldn't tell you who any of the current Bruins are if you showed me pictures of them.

That said, Boston has hockey deeply ingrained into its fabric and if this team continues to dominate and makes a run at the Stanley Cup in the playoffs, this town will start to see a ton of black and gold crazies come out of the woodwork.

Interesting fact. The Bruins and Celtics both currently own double digit home win streaks and are both rated #1 in ESPN's Power Rankings. Actually I think all 4 Boston teams are in the top ten of the latest ESPN Power Rankings in their respective sports. That's a pretty amazing thing.

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:41:27 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
It's been wayyyyy too long since this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9eAsbA0SoU
Yup

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 12:44:12 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Most of the Bruins familiarity in my life has come to me through osmosis. I've always been surrounded by B's fans, while alone having little to no interest in the NHL outside of Sega's NHL 94, quite possibly the best video game ever.

That being said, I shamelessly hopped on the bandwagon during last years playoff series. What can I say? This is the first B's team that has actually inspired me enough to tune in on my own. There's a lot to be optimistic about besides the record. Given that such a large part of the core of this team are barely old enough to drink ( well, in the US.  Actually, Lucic is 20), they figure to be more than just a one-year wonder. Hopefully Bergeron comes back strong.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:03:36 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
The Bruins are like the Atlanta Hawks of the NHL.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I only watch Hockey during the Playoffs, and that's IF they decide to televise the games (last year I couldn't watch a single Bruins' game). Always rooted for the team, like to check the standings whenever I can... but as far as following the team actively... that would be asking too much of me since I really don't enjoy watching the sport much.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:33:02 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I got into the Bruins a bit before the playoffs started last year (so I'm a total bandwagon jumper) but I'm loving whats happening with them.. .we are so lucky to live in such an amazing era of Boston sports.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Yeah...  19th in home attendance.  For a first place club, that's pretty sad.  Some of it is ticket prices, but I think another part is indifference.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 02:50:08 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Yeah...  19th in home attendance.  For a first place club, that's pretty sad.  Some of it is ticket prices, but I think another part is indifference.

I think a lot of fans turned there backs based on principle due to their disdain for the Jacobs ownership.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

jacobs did all he could to murder the franchise through his incompetance in the front office and with pricing, its going to take more than two months of a good group of younger guys winning dispite thier owners miserly ways and exorberante price hikes to draw the fan base back in to the garden.

That said, i would say im now a casual bruins fan again. If i see them on and nothing else has my intrest, i will watch a period or two, they are fun to watch.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion