Author Topic: Hossa Signs with Red Wings  (Read 4117 times)

Hossa Signs with Red Wings
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:06:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  Best just got better.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3470849

The defending Stanley Cup champion Detroit Red Wings have signed forward Marian Hossa to a one-year, $7.4-million contract, TSN of Canada reported on its Web site.

Marian Hossa

Hossa

Hossa played last season for the Atlanta Thrashers and Pittsburgh Penguins, who acquired him from the Thrashers at the trade deadline. He had 29 goals and 37 assists in the regular season and had 12 goals and 14 assists in 20 playoff games as the Penguins advanced to the Stanley Cup finals.

A first-round draft pick of the Ottawa Senators in 1997, Hossa has 299 career goals and 349 assists in 701 career games. He was dealt to the Thrashers in 2005 as part of the trade that sent Dany Heatley to Ottawa.

Hossa was reportedly contemplating offers from the Canucks, Canadiens, Oilers and Penguins, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The Boston Bruins also were among the contenders, but the signing of forward Michael Ryder on Tuesday took them out of the bidding because of tight cap space.

The Oilers were willing to overpay, at least $9 million per year, to lure Hossa north, according to the Edmonton Journal. The Penguins still had a standing offer -- believed to be more than $7 million per year for five years -- on the table for Hossa, but hadn't raised it since the signing period began, according to the Tribune-Review.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Hossa Signs with Red Wings
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:18:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Interesting.  He must not have liked the market too much.  One year, $7.4 million, huh?  I figured he'd get a lot more security than that.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:30 PM »

Offline wildo05

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I feel bad for Bruins fans. The owner is a complete disgrace. He has no desire to win. Imagine he would only let Peter Chiarelli sign Michael Ryder! That is their big splash! Wooohoo!

The Revs are more relevant. They atleast make the MLS Cup each year!

Free Food anyone?
A winner is someone who recognizes his God- given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Joe Bird

"Anything is Possible!" - KG

"I'm just surprised he wasn't whining about the foul calls." - Glen "Doc" Rivers (6-11-08)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
This is the kind of thing C's fans who want Magette are hoping for.  Don't get me wrong, Detroit has probably been the best orginization in Hockey for the last decade at least but he was getting better offers from really good teams.  I know he wants to win but the Pens were in the finals last year and offered him 5 years (I'm sure he could have gotten them up the extra 400K).  Maybe the fact that Detroit did win was the deciding factor.  He definitly could have gotten more money and obviously years from a number of other teams.  Definitly a head scratcher.    

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I feel bad for Bruins fans. The owner is a complete disgrace. He has no desire to win. Imagine he would only let Peter Chiarelli sign Michael Ryder! That is their big splash! Wooohoo!

The Revs are more relevant. They atleast make the MLS Cup each year!

Free Food anyone?

The Bruins had no play here.  Money wasn't going to get it done, years wasn't going to get it done.  Hossa wanted to be a Red Wing, that's all there is to it.  Other teams offered more money and years and he turned them all down.  And for the last time...THERE IS A SALARY CAP!!!!!!