Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20682 times)

Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« on: March 12, 2019, 12:21:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Russell Westbrook confronted a male fan and his wife Monday night during the Oklahoma City Thunder's win at Utah, telling the man he would "f---" him up and do the same to his wife.

The exchange was caught on video and posted to Twitter by a reporter for Utah's Deseret News. It was unclear what prompted the exchange.

According to the Deseret News, five fans received "warning cards" related to the Westbrook incident. The cards cited comments, gestures and/or behaviors directed at players in violation of the NBA's code of conduct for fans. Each of the fans were able to return to their seats, the Deseret News reported.

pic.twitter.com/hIStzRz0y0

— Ute Believer (@UteBeliever) March 12, 2019
"I promise you," Westbrook says in the exchange. "You think I'm playing. I swear to God. I swear to God. I'll f--- you up; you and your wife. I'll f--- you up."

Someone off-camera then appears to attempt to verbally intervene.

"No, f--- that! f--- that!" Westbrook shouts, pausing before resuming his initial exchange.

"I promise you, everything I love," Westbrook says. "Everything I love n----, I promise you."

Players can’t threaten fans with violence. They particularly can’t threaten female fans.

Of course, the NBA’s reaction here will be based almost entirely upon how much media attention the incident receives.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:36:39 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:45:07 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:46:18 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .
it doesn't depend on anything

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:47:18 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.
he could have simply reported it to the security and moved on. Now we have westbrook on video threatening to kill people. Good job! Way to make the city of Oklahoma city proud!

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:50:28 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Westbrook doesn't get a pass either just because he's a player and didn't need to buy a ticket.. Didn't Westbrook violate the conduct policy of the arena  as well by threatening this fans life? By the way I want to make a point that it isn't westbrooks first time saying something like this

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:53:08 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I know this is completely wrong and awful thing to say.

But I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE Westbrook saying that to me. Ultimate high five.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 12:53:41 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

he could have simply reported it to the security and moved on. Now we have westbrook on video threatening to kill people. Good job! Way to make the city of Oklahoma city proud!
I think Westbrook should be fined. Not a good reaction, regardless of the nature of the heckling.

I also think that if he's telling the truth, and I'm going to assume he is, then those fans should have been thrown out and are a bigger embarrassment than him.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 12:57:29 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I agree. Fans can be very disrespectful. Just root for your team and then keep your mouth shut!

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 12:58:32 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I think Westbrook should be fined. Not a good reaction, regardless of the nature of the heckling.

I also think that if he's telling the truth, and I'm going to assume he is, then those fans should have been thrown out and are a bigger embarrassment than him.
what the fan said didn't sound racial at all

Just another race card incident.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 01:01:10 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I didn't need any other reasons to dislike Westbrook.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 01:01:55 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.  .

You can call me any racial or derogatory slur in the book. I respect peoples freedom of speech, so I'd never threaten anyone's life or physical well being. If someone threatened my life, then id have to defend myself but words like those aren't threats

This is just another unprofessional moment in the life of Westbrook,  guy with history of being trashy with fans and media

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:38 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

I agree with this take.  Westbrook can’t react like this, but at some point fan behavior needs to clean up.  People can’t be allowed to spew filth at these players just because they bought a ticket.

Utah has gotten quite a rep for this kind of thing. 

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:08:40 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Westbrook isn't going to follow through with taking someone's life, so wouldn't his words just fall under freedom of speech too? Or do the goalposts get moved for him?
yeah. Ron Artest was never going to go attack fans either

because Malace at the Palace never happened

Threats of violence are not protected under the first amendment (only exceptions are like in a rap song or some art form ). 

If I was the fan if file criminal assault charges against westbrook. In many states, the simple act of telling someone you will commit violence

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 01:10:23 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
people take undue liberty to say stuff to folks they would never confront in public...anyone blaming Westbrook on this one is out to lunch.