Author Topic: Kevin Garnett: "This will be my last All-Star Game, you don't know what I know"  (Read 12809 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I may be a super reader between the liner but don't be shocked if Danny told KG tonight that he's gonna trade him.
What makes me say that you say? Well, knowing KG the two comments he made speaks volumes. The first of this being his last all star game. He doesn't strike me as one who would forego the final two years of his contract if he was gonna be here in Boston, but the most cryptic of quotes was the one where he said looking back he should have taken the night off. That's not KG. That sounds like anger. Especially after getting the W for him to make a comment like that just doesn't sound right. This dude will play every night if we had a game every night this week. That quote just doesn't sit well with me. Lastly the final quote..."ya'll don't know what I know." I hope it's not true, but I think he's gone by the deadline.
Since KG has a no-trade clause, I'd say no... but how about taking it a step further: maybe it's not him that Danny is dealing, maybe it's Rondo! We all know how bonded they are... if Rondo is traded, KG will retire at the end of the season no doubt!

But yeah, probably it's nothing and we're reading between the lines too much...

I’m going to keep reading between the lines.  When I first heard it, I thought it meant that Danny told KG a trade was going to happen after the all-star break, presumably including him and Pierce, which would likely push him to retire after the season.  I would also buy the Rondo-getting traded possibility, which would likely result in the same reaction.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Love KG, he has a couple more years left in him, but it would probably best for the organization if true.

In absolutely no way would it be best for the organization if KG retired after this year.  He is still one of the best big men in the game, arguably a top 5 defensive player, and he makes less money than Omar Asik.

People forget how much he means to this team.

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I have a hard time believing that KG would accidentally hint at retirement this way.

It occurred to me last night- maybe what KG knows is that he is going to need an off-season procedure. He obviously won't be an all-star next year if he has to sit out a chunk of the first half.

it's actually the simplest explanation, no?

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Forgive me for not reading all 7 pages, but...

KG has commented several times this season, moreso over the past couple of months, that he didn't expect to be carrying a team at this point in his career, and that essentially it isn't what he expected (signed up for), and that his body has been hurting due to the challenges of age.  That's my paraphrasing, of course.

I don't think he signs up to be top dog, all-star, go-to franchise leader again.

It'll take some Popovich-like coaching for KG and Pierce to stick around much past this season.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I have a hard time believing that KG would accidentally hint at retirement this way.

It occurred to me last night- maybe what KG knows is that he is going to need an off-season procedure. He obviously won't be an all-star next year if he has to sit out a chunk of the first half.

it's actually the simplest explanation, no?
I don't think why anyone takes this as "hinting at retirement". It may well mean that he simply plans to reject Allstar invitations, if he's selected in subsequent years.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
would be surprised if KG hung it up after this year.  I could see him hanging in for one more year to take a shot at it with Rondo, Sully and possibly Barbosa with Danny having a chance to add on a hopefully-decent big in free-agency this summer.  THEN, retire with PP after next year possibly. 

(most everyone will be an expiring deal at that time and Danny can make some decent deals to unload JET, Bass, Lee and Green if necessary).

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Sounds like a player who is tired from the last three games and wishes he could get the same rest as Paul is getting. I take it as message to the fans that he won't play next season if he is voted in. And his loyalties to the fans are the reason why he is going to Houston.

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
I think the y'all don't know what I know comment is the most interesting one. Implying that something is happening that is guaranteeing its his last ASG.

Hopefully when he does retire he stays on as a big man coach or something. I don't want him to disappear after retirement.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Hopefully what KG knows is that we are getting Josh Smith in a trade, and smith will be taking his  allstar roster spot next year ;)