Author Topic: We need more assets!!! Let's make some more trades!!!  (Read 5991 times)

Re: We need more assets!!! Let's make some more trades!!!
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 11:22:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Btw, I've never liked calling players 'assets.'  It just gives off the wrong impression to me, but that's just my opinion.  So, are we talking about contracts and draft picks, or dudes who might as well live out of a trailer for two weeks before Ainge trades them again, lol? ;D Ugh.  I've said it once and I'll say it again - it looks like everyone is already ready to flip.  That.  Asset, lol. ;D
If you are talking about rebuilding a team, you need to look at everything as an asset. If you can move guys for better assets (players or picks that have more value for our future improvement or for future trades), you do it. You need some sort of abstract analysis when the team is so far from the stage where we are picking up guys to fill in the gaps for a team close to finished.

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 11:24:53 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think we need more assets to trade for one of the players mentioned, we need higher quality assets.  I don't think trading any of the players currently on our roster will accomplish that.

Marcus Smart, our 2015 (likely) lottery pick, and the Brooklyn picks have the potential to become highly valuable assets.  We need to be patient at this point and allow that to occur.
The Brooklyn picks can potentially be a windfall.

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 03:08:09 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
What assets can be gotten for James Young?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
What's it called when you keep collecting and trading assets without improving?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 08:01:38 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Giddens was #30th.

Blaming Ainge on not picking Jimmy Butler, Marc Gasol or DeAndre Jordan is to some degree pretty stupid. Why? Cause if GMs would have known how they develop Ainge wouldnt have had been able to pick them in the first place because they would have been gone allready.

You highlight, IMO, one of Ainge's worst decisions as GM -- he picked Giddens over Jordan, even tho Jordan was clearly the better pick at #30 in the NBA draft. 

I'm a staunch Ainge believer, but I screamed at the TV that night, and it bothers me to this day.
i read later that ainge had explained his pick by saying giddens was supposed more "nba ready" and since the celtics had a VERY small window with the big 3 he wanted to get them some help NOW. jordan was a project he thought.

i understand, but in doing this ainge broke a cardinal rule - always draft the BPA, never draft by team need.

Bingo, TP.  Although, you could argue that Jordan would have addressed an obvious deficiency at the center spot, but that's just me, and I've never been a fan of Perk.  We could have been lob city, lol. ;D Ugh.  Oh well, Rondo, Jordan, Matthews, Stephenson, Samuels, Sims, Wroten, and McDaniels - we'll always have 2k, lol. ;) ;D
That's the cardinal rule of a rebuilding team.  It's not always a rule of a contending team.  Many times contending teams draft the most nba ready or draft a position of need.

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
What assets can be gotten for James Young?
Another guy who is about as good as James Young.  Probably someone who is spending time in the d league or a vet with poor potential.  But I think Young is the kind of asset that we want, not the kind of asset we want to trade away.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:18:46 AM by moiso »