Author Topic: Why we need to overpay this summer  (Read 9178 times)

Re: Why we need to overpay this summer
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 10:12:09 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Overpaid...hmmm....

Vin Baker
Raef LaFrentz
Mark Blount

Tell me why we want to "overpay" again?

I'm fine offering top dollars to top players. But the "spend it or lose it" mentality is a short trip to long-term problems.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 10:27:41 PM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Great thoughts LarBrd33.

I am just not keen on Greg Monroe as a player not necessarily because of his contract. I am still hopeful that Jared Sullinger can be 90% of what Greg Monroe is but on a better contract.  I'd prefer to have a player with more defensive capabilities at the PF.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
That's the thing. The jump in salary cap pretty much guarantees that when when Durant becomes a free-agent in 2017, even if we blow our load salary wise THIS summer, we'll have enough to offer a max deal to Durant.

He becomes a free agent in 2016.

Right, my mind said next Summer, but kept thinking of 2017 as in 2016-2017 season. You're correct, premise remains the same.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
you never overpay for anyone.  just don't know when you might need the room.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 10:55:02 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@LarBrd33
Per the graph: everything worth posting in this world is plagiarism anyway (Plato).

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
No, the OP is correct. Usually you don't want to over pay, but the cap increases change everything. This summer, the one after and the one after we could add a big talent. If we miss one step, we will miss the next.

Hopefully Danny makes big offers for stars like DMC and Melo on draft night. This way we can already have a star to get another in free agency this summer and then hope to get Durrant next summer. Now is the time to cash in.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
you never overpay for anyone.  just don't know when you might need the room.
Yup. There is a misconception that the NBA is a 'free market'. Actually it is a highly regulated oligopsony (and when it comes to high caliber talent - oligopoly too). One of the best examples of the first was the trouble Bledsoe and IT had resigning last summer. And of the the latter that virtually all teams would be willing to offer Lebron a max, so his decision depends on factors entirely beyond the control of the market (like his mom in Ohio).

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Great thoughts LarBrd33.

I am just not keen on Greg Monroe as a player not necessarily because of his contract. I am still hopeful that Jared Sullinger can be 90% of what Greg Monroe is but on a better contract.  I'd prefer to have a player with more defensive capabilities at the PF.

The interest in going after Monroe is not to play him at PF, but at center.

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2015, 11:06:54 PM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
Great thoughts LarBrd33.

The interest in going after Monroe is not to play him at PF, but at center.

Fair comment, but playing Monroe at Center doesn't seem to fit Brad Stevens desire to be great defensively.

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2015, 11:12:51 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Great thoughts LarBrd33.

Would much rather have Monroe. I am surprised how many people still want to give Sully the benefit of the doubt. Forget the contract and money. Sully is nothing more than a role player.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 11:22:22 PM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
Great thoughts LarBrd33.

Would much rather have Monroe. I am surprised how many people still want to give Sully the benefit of the doubt. Forget the contract and money. Sully is nothing more than a role player.

Fair comment. I don't want either player, so using Sully on a rookie contract feels better than paying Monroe a stack of money. I'm much more interested in a PF that can play some D, play with hustle and genuinely space the floor.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Overpaid...hmmm....

Vin Baker
Raef LaFrentz
Mark Blount

Tell me why we want to "overpay" again?

I'm fine offering top dollars to top players. But the "spend it or lose it" mentality is a short trip to long-term problems.

If you want to field a competitive team on the court, then you need to air out the wallet and dish out the cash to get some talent here.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 03:12:25 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
TP to the OP.
For the people who their principle is to never overspend on player, you have to understand the exception to the rule here.
Project what will happen in the next 2 years... all the top teams and the top destination city will have money to spend. It is easy to realize that during this 2 years, if Boston is not a contender in the east, we'll have almost 0 chance to get a good player. I mean, FA will go to top teams and the trade market will be dead (any team will be able to resign their top players without any concern with their cap space). So we'll end up with the left over players.
To sum it up, if you are not overpaying this year, we'll end up adding average players during 3 years at least.

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Every other team is coming out with the same plan.

That is why I think someone like Robin Lopez can get a near max contract this summer.

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 09:13:20 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Every other team is coming out with the same plan.

That is why I think someone like Robin Lopez can get a near max contract this summer.
All teams will be ready to 'overpay' bigs and scorers.
This might be one of the reasons why we might go after role players like Tristan Thompson who excel in one or two skills and can fit well in our rotation.