Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238830 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #840 on: July 15, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, enough with the talk regarding Eddie20 and rollie. Eddie and rollie, refrain from commenting on the other's posts. Eddie stop the stalking. Failure to abide by this will result in long term bans. And I want to see zero posts questioning or reacting to this post.

« Reply #841 on: July 17, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Brad should ask RW3 to watch all the film on Bill Russell, and read his books about competition and how to win. Russ was a genius on this subject. More than any athlete I have ever observed. Including Jordan.

Now before you roll your eyes about this, let me be clear, there will never be another Bill Russell. I will go to my grave knowing he will always be my GOAT.

But the similarities in physique and playing styles are uncanny. Watch video highlights of each of them and tell me what you think.

P.S. I saw Russell play live, albeit towards the end of his career.  It is not sacreligious to draw this comparison. Premature? Sure. But if he pans out, we’ll all be able to laugh.

« Reply #842 on: July 17, 2018, 08:58:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not going to get my hopes up

It was a risky pick that may pay dividends down the line....but don't bank on it

Plus roster is congested from top to bottom except at pf/c position

I still wish Danny chose Spellman (safer choice but lower ceiling). Either way both could be out of the league in a few years

« Reply #843 on: July 17, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not going to get my hopes up

It was a risky pick that may pay dividends down the line....but don't bank on it

Plus roster is congested from top to bottom except at pf/c position

I still wish Danny chose Spellman (safer choice but lower ceiling). Either way both could be out of the league in a few years
Which is why I’m fine with the pick.  What better time to make a high risk/high reward pick than when you have a deep team with very few weaknesses?

« Reply #844 on: July 18, 2018, 12:18:35 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Yeah when you can have a player whose ceiling is Bill Russel you take it, no question asked

« Reply #845 on: July 18, 2018, 12:30:59 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Yeah when you can have a player whose ceiling is Bill Russel you take it, no question asked
I hope you aren't suggesting Robert Williams has a Bill Russell level ceiling
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #846 on: July 18, 2018, 01:39:59 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I hope you aren't suggesting Robert Williams has a Bill Russell level ceiling

Yea. Major disrespect.

At least Russell + Wilt, maybe a bit of MJ after he hit that mid-range jumper in summer league.

« Reply #847 on: July 18, 2018, 05:37:53 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The play that most impressed me was a missed shot with very little time on clock he was forced into a baseline floater.It showed time awareness and a fluidity ending with a soft touch.Earlier he also received the ball with little time and hit a mid range jumper.
This undercoached 20 year old has tested as the second highest vertical reach "ever" and his bio mechanics have been tested and allow him to cover even point guards both tests at P3 sports science.
So it is safe to say a physical anomaly with a 7-6 wingspan and a 240 lb frame..

Immaturity doesn't make a 20 year old a bad person but it may lead to some poor choices or lack of organization skills leading to mistakes that doesn't mean uncoachable. Life experiences are unique in a small town in Louisiana much simpler and manageable.
We put expectations of professional behavior on an just drafted immature,inexperienced kid.Terry Rozier jumped in a pool draft night,he ate spaghetti sandwiches and got up to all sorts of stuff at college but was instrumental in leading the Celtics when Kyrie went down -this took three seasons. Then he punked Danny on live TV not a good move immature one might say'
Jaylen had his car filled to the roof with popcorn-some would say immature.Those actions were not accidents like misplacing a wallet that results in a missed flight

Russell had length and was a high jumper in track and field-Dave Cowens was a surprisingly good jumper also rugged and quick for his size .So Williams athletic tools put him in a different league to most big men.So it is safe to say we will see some athletic feats not seen in Boston since the days of these two Hall of Fame centers.
So we have a young raw talent that loves defense surrounded by young talent Boston drafted and some impressive all star vets.
The Celtics have responded with a personal coach an assistant ex coach from home while gaining life experiences in Boston.
We don't want him to" forget how to jump".
Jaylen had his friend from home living him and that ended tragically.
Jason had his mom in same building  and mid season pulled up with a new baby.
The Celtics have been fortunate to have this happen so early and the press had a missed flight,a relocated wallet and an overslept conference call to write about.
I can't wait for huge block 2 feet above the rim, he has a standing vertical reach of 12 feet-again that is" standstill" and measured at P3.
We have seen the athletic feats of Jaylen and a" Kobesque" Jason, the defensive "slam dunks" of Marcus and play of "Scary Terry".
I can't wait for training camp and to hear the reports of Roberts blocks and athletic ability.
By the way Lemon has a 48inch vertical better than Lavine and Wiggins

« Reply #848 on: July 18, 2018, 08:03:32 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think we should ever compare a guy to Russell especially one this unproven.   Yes, his metrics are great but Russell had about the best mind of anyone who ever played in terms of will to win coupled with great basketball IQ and psychological manipulation.

« Reply #849 on: July 18, 2018, 08:55:40 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
I understand and watched Russell win all those championships.Russell played in an era of slow twitch and with Red assembling a dynasty-i actually played against Cousy in an exhibition game
Go back and look at his early days foul shooting and his almost set shot.
I am only presenting athletic givens on a 20 year old starting a long journey
The realty of a kid from standstill getting 2 ft above the rim is hard to digest.
I stated jumping ability not seen since days of russell and Cowens-he is a physical anomaly  and will at NBA level make monster dunks and blocks .You heard Larranaga he dunks with his elbows--i have a saying a dunk is only 2 points but the crowd loves them.
I prefer Kyries skill level but above the top of box is a WOW.
I used to go to Jungle Jims(loscy) Camps,saw Sam Jones put on a shooting exhibition that was crazy good all banks .

Remember the furor when Dr J was taking off from foul line  or Chocolate Thunder shattering backboards a first then a 2nd time or Pistol Pete and floppy socks.
Robert is already special from his bio mechanics to his vertical and wingspan how he uses it  will be guided by the Celtics .But in the 6 minutes he played i remember a flying closeout that will be very disruptive.

« Reply #850 on: July 18, 2018, 10:09:08 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I understand and watched Russell win all those championships.Russell played in an era of slow twitch and with Red assembling a dynasty-i actually played against Cousy in an exhibition game
The realty of a kid from standstill getting 2 ft above the rim is hard to digest.
I stated jumping ability not seen since days of russell and Cowens-he is a physical anomaly  and will at NBA level make monster dunks and blocks .You heard Larranaga he dunks with his elbows--i have a saying a dunk is only 2 points but the crowd loves them.
I used to go to Jungle Jims(loscy) Camps,saw Sam Jones put on a shooting exhibition that was crazy good all banks .

Remember the furor when Dr J was taking off from foul line  or Chocolate Thunder shattering backboards a first then a 2nd time or Pistol Pete and floppy socks.
Robert is already special from his bio mechanics to his vertical and wingspan how he uses it  will be guided by the Celtics .But in the 6 minutes he played i remember a flying closeout that will be very disruptive.

Hey Rollie, I posted about the same play that impressed me the most about RW in his limited minutes in SL. It was that play with the shot clock expiring, it showed really good court presence.  Even though he missed the shot, he creates something out of nothing with time expiring.

« Reply #851 on: July 18, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

Hey Rollie, I posted about the same play that impressed me the most about RW in his limited minutes in SL. It was that play with the shot clock expiring, it showed really good court presence.  Even though he missed the shot, he creates something out of nothing with time expiring.
TP he wasn't panicked went baseline put up a runner with soft touch.Glad you spotted it also.It was my COOL moment-i said to myself i saw everything i needed to see in 6 minutes.

« Reply #852 on: July 18, 2018, 11:56:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

TP he wasn't panicked went baseline put up a runner with soft touch.Glad you spotted it also.It was my COOL moment-i said to myself i saw everything i needed to see in 6 minutes.

co-sign/TP

« Reply #853 on: July 18, 2018, 11:59:54 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

That move showed his amazing agility for a man his size. Hakeem-esque. Now for everyone freaking out that I'm saying he will be Hakeem settle down. Just saying he is supremely athletic for a man his size..

« Reply #854 on: July 18, 2018, 01:52:06 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If he can stay healthy he will be the Jaylen brown of centers