Author Topic: Cleveland signs Lauri in sign and trade with Bulls per Woj  (Read 7189 times)

Re: Cleveland signs Lauri in sign and trade with Bulls per Woj
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2021, 04:51:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Markkanen is better than Nance, by a pretty good margin.  He is younger and a better fit with Allen.  Easy trade for Cleveland to make.

Care to elaborate on why he is better by a wide margin? He doesn't have a clear NBA position, possibly unplayable in a playoff series because of his defense. Has had a lot of durability issues (his three full seasons not counting covid shortened season are 68, 50, 51). He is at best an average rebounder and not a particularly good passer. Also for being such a "shooter" his 3 point numbers his first 4 seasons in league have not been that much better than  what Nance has been doing the last 3 seasons (LM 36% for career, LN 35% last 3 seasons). When you say by a pretty wide margin would be interested in some stats cause that is certainly not the consensus around the NBA (and you yourself have admitted Nance was a pretty hot commodity at times. A report at the deadline, don't know if true, indicated the Cavs received multiple first round pick in an offer for him and declined. This seems like a much worse return.
I'd much rather have Markkanen then a couple of late 1st's or Nance.  Markkanen is a significantly better all around shooter than Nance.  His TS% last year was an excellent 61.9%.  He can hit from basically anywhere on the floor at a high level (except long 2's, he isn't good at those).  Nance is a better rebounder, but not significantly.  Markkanen doesn't turn the ball over either.  Nance is a hustle role player type guy, he is very good in that role, but he doesn't have top level starter type talent.  Markkanen has that.  Markkanen also has been healthier the last couple of seasons and is a lot younger.

Are you intentionally just leaving out the entire defensive side of the game? This is why nance had interest from contenders and playoff teams while markkanen was one of last players on market. He is terrible on defense, perhaps unplayable. (And like I said doesn’t really have a position).
No.  Nance is a better defender, but he isn't some world beater.  I just think what Lauri provides offensively far exceeds the boost Nance gets defensively.
Nance is also a better passer and rebounder, as well as being superior on defence. Markannen has more upside, but is injury-prone and inconsistent
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2021, 05:29:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Markkanen is better than Nance, by a pretty good margin.  He is younger and a better fit with Allen.  Easy trade for Cleveland to make.

Care to elaborate on why he is better by a wide margin? He doesn't have a clear NBA position, possibly unplayable in a playoff series because of his defense. Has had a lot of durability issues (his three full seasons not counting covid shortened season are 68, 50, 51). He is at best an average rebounder and not a particularly good passer. Also for being such a "shooter" his 3 point numbers his first 4 seasons in league have not been that much better than  what Nance has been doing the last 3 seasons (LM 36% for career, LN 35% last 3 seasons). When you say by a pretty wide margin would be interested in some stats cause that is certainly not the consensus around the NBA (and you yourself have admitted Nance was a pretty hot commodity at times. A report at the deadline, don't know if true, indicated the Cavs received multiple first round pick in an offer for him and declined. This seems like a much worse return.
I'd much rather have Markkanen then a couple of late 1st's or Nance.  Markkanen is a significantly better all around shooter than Nance.  His TS% last year was an excellent 61.9%.  He can hit from basically anywhere on the floor at a high level (except long 2's, he isn't good at those).  Nance is a better rebounder, but not significantly.  Markkanen doesn't turn the ball over either.  Nance is a hustle role player type guy, he is very good in that role, but he doesn't have top level starter type talent.  Markkanen has that.  Markkanen also has been healthier the last couple of seasons and is a lot younger.

Are you intentionally just leaving out the entire defensive side of the game? This is why nance had interest from contenders and playoff teams while markkanen was one of last players on market. He is terrible on defense, perhaps unplayable. (And like I said doesn’t really have a position).
No.  Nance is a better defender, but he isn't some world beater.  I just think what Lauri provides offensively far exceeds the boost Nance gets defensively.
Nance is also a better passer and rebounder, as well as being superior on defence. Markannen has more upside, but is injury-prone and inconsistent

Yeah, definitely not clear that Markannen is or will ever be a better player than Nance. I guess you take the upside if you are a young team, but seems like a lot of money for a guy who it is unclear what his role is in the NBA.

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2021, 05:53:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Trying to think of teams where Markkanen could play a starring role on a contender.

Markkanen would be a nice fit on a team like the Brooklyn Nets as a center replacing Kyrie or Harden as the third star. That is a title caliber team I could see Markkanen playing a starring role on. Durant at PF and Markkanen at C. A creative ball-handler next to them (Harden or Kyrie). Plus some shooters.

I do think Markkanen is difficult to place on a title contender. His offensive game is not well geared to being a 1st or 2nd option because of his lack of both one-on-one scoring & passing / playmaking ability. So more of a 3rd option and most teams do not like defensively deficient centers as their third option. But he could work on that Brooklyn team.

Markkanen would be interesting on the Suns instead of Ayton. Completely different outcome for the Suns. Their offense would be on steroids but they'd lose their defensive base. Not necessarily better (or worse for that matter) but a title contender all the same.

Could also be a 3rd star on the LA Clippers next to Kawhi and PG13. Not a great fit because they have less ball-handling wizardry than CP3 or Harden / Kyrie but it would still be good. I like that ball-handler with Markkanen's PnP game.

He could be a 2nd star (or 3rd star) in Dallas next to Doncic. Then again so could Porzingis if he used properly. That base could form a title contender.

The teams I would be worried about are the ones with star bigs (Giannis, Zion) who are the center of attention and would force Markkanen too much off the ball. I like him near the ball. Around the ball. Engaging the defense.

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2021, 07:23:33 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
ESPN Trade Grades

POR - B+
CHI - B+
CLE - D

At first blush, it certainly seems as if the Cavaliers have made a trade that gives them the weaker player on a more expensive contract who fits worse.

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2021, 07:53:04 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
ESPN Trade Grades

POR - B+
CHI - B+
CLE - D

At first blush, it certainly seems as if the Cavaliers have made a trade that gives them the weaker player on a more expensive contract who fits worse.

Grades I agree with.

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
ESPN Trade Grades

POR - B+
CHI - B+
CLE - D

Grades I agree with.
Me too. I might even go A- for Portland.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2021, 02:06:42 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Lauri will fit very well in Cleveland next to Jarrett Allen. I expect Kevin Love will get moved soon.

I’d bet my car that Kevin Love ends up on the Lakers with LeBron..and I love my car.
They still owe him $60 million.....

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2021, 02:23:50 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
ESPN Trade Grades

POR - B+
CHI - B+
CLE - D

Grades I agree with.

I agree with the trades too. Been confused by the over value of mark on this thread.