Author Topic: "Crab dribble" and Doc's reaction  (Read 23757 times)

"Crab dribble" and Doc's reaction
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:41:30 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

Doc's reaction is just priceless, he stays calm but counts the number of steps taken by LeBron...

Re: "Crab dribble" and Doc's reaction
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166

Doc's reaction is just priceless, he stays calm but counts the number of steps taken by LeBron...

I quite enjoyed Tony's more or less preemptive reaction. He knew the crab dribble was on from the moment he picked up the dribble.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 07:28:02 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
One of these days, a player is just going to have to imitate the crab dribble while playing the Cavs and see what the refs do.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:11:48 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
This is hilarious. Even the commentators at the game called him out on that...
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
One of these days, a player is just going to have to imitate the crab dribble while playing the Cavs and see what the refs do.

They'll get called for traveling because their name isnt Lequeen James and they wont cry about it for 80 weeks to the media like Queen did during that 07 playoffs when someonehad the brains to call it for what it is

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i do not know whose reaction i like more. the bench player ( i believe tony allen), rivers, or thibidoeu.

all three were classic.

and yes if another player did it, surely it would be called a travel.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:41:05 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
As funny as this is... that was not a travel. He took the jump stop off the dribble, which is totally legal (but shouldn't be).

The elevation he got on the jump stop made it look awfully fishy though.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 08:46:51 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
As funny as this is... that was not a travel. He took the jump stop off the dribble, which is totally legal (but shouldn't be).

I think he had actually already picked up his dribble and taken a step before the jump stop.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Honestly guys, nothing is wrong with that play.  A Jump stop is a legal move, but counts as one of your two steps.

I see no other steps even besides the jump stop.

(And I don't think the jump stop is the crab dribble).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Not legal. He put the ball down on his left leg. Took a step with the right (1) to jump over the side of KG, and then both feet on the floor to jump. (2 and 3) . It used to be 1 and a half steps was legal and now evolved to 2. It has never been updated to 3 steps.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:31:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Honestly guys, nothing is wrong with that play.  A Jump stop is a legal move, but counts as one of your two steps.

This is not a jump stop, which is a move that occurs while you're dribbling. He picked up his dribble, went at least a step, and then jumped up and down.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
LOL. I thought he was going to facepalm for a minute there. Love Thibs reaction too. He and Doc can be so entertaining on the sidelines sometimes.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:35:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think he had actually already picked up his dribble and taken a step before the jump stop.
Yeah he picked up his dribble early, he did it very smoothly and low to the ground though so the refs missed it.

Travels like this are very hard to call because often it depends on when exactly the player gathers the ball. Clearly a travel, but I can see why the refs didn't see it.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Agreed, I didn't want to be the first one to say it, but seeing it the second time it does seem legal. He jumped immediately after picking up the ball no extra steps. It looks sketch because of the change of direction past KG and how hard he jumped, but it was a legal hop step. With that said, I don't think another player would get away with because of how sketchy it looked.

TP for being real about it.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
A progressing player who jumps off one foot on the first step may land with both feet simultaneously for the second step. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either returns to the floor.

I think it's legal.