Author Topic: LeBron James: "I'm the Greatest Player of all Time"  (Read 7845 times)

Re: LeBron James: "I'm the Greatest Player of all Time"
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2019, 02:57:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Lebron has already played more seasons than Jordan.  He has played over 4000 more regular season minutes and 2500 more post season minutes.  How exactly is that a fair comparison?

Still has not caught him in points either.

LeBron is more like Wilt than anyone.  Individually dominated his era, yet not a winner.
I think that's fair.  He did pass Wilt in points recently.  Like Wilt, LBJ is one of the greatest of all time, just not THE greatest, yet.

I honestly think this is what 90% of people think...

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2019, 03:02:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kevin McHale thought it pretty disrespectful of players like Russell, MJ, Kareem, Bird and Magic for LeBron to call himself the GOAT.

Boston.com Logo
NEWS
WEATHER
SPORTS
 Share  Tweet
Morning sports update: What Kevin McHale had to say about LeBron James calling himself the ‘GOAT’
Also: The unwritten part of the Patriots' playbook, Craig Kimbrel's status, and Antonio Brown's Tom Brady DM.
Kevin McHale Kevin McHale when he was coach of the Houston Rockets.   –AP
By Hayden Bird  9:30 AM
The Celtics beat the Timberwolves on Wednesday night, 115-102. Gordon Hayward led the team with 35 points.

Kevin McHale on LeBron James’s ‘greatest of all-time’ comments: Celtics legend Kevin McHale recently spoke about LeBron James calling himself the “greatest player of all-time” during an ESPN special.

“We all sit at this table all the time and sing his praises, I think LeBron is a great player. I just think that’s disrespectful honestly to Bill Russell,” McHale explained. He went on to list other past greats.

“Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan,” McHale added. “There are just so many. Two of my good…Larry and Magic, just led teams and turned the league around. You don’t need to say that about yourself. Let other people say that for you. I mean I was kind of surprised because I’d read about it, but that’s the first time I’d actually heard him say it, ‘Made me the GOAT.’ I’m like, [dang].”

https://www.boston.com/sports/sports-news/2019/01/03/kevin-mchale-lebron-james-goat

Heck, even MJ in an interview with Michael Wilbon in 2009 said being labeled as the GOAT was disrespectful to others that came before.

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Kevin McHale thought it pretty disrespectful of players like Russell, MJ, Kareem, Bird and Magic for LeBron to call himself the GOAT.

Boston.com Logo
NEWS
WEATHER
SPORTS
 Share  Tweet
Morning sports update: What Kevin McHale had to say about LeBron James calling himself the ‘GOAT’
Also: The unwritten part of the Patriots' playbook, Craig Kimbrel's status, and Antonio Brown's Tom Brady DM.
The Celtics beat the Timberwolves on Wednesday night, 115-102. Gordon Hayward led the team with 35 points.

Kevin McHale on LeBron James’s ‘greatest of all-time’ comments: Celtics legend Kevin McHale recently spoke about LeBron James calling himself the “greatest player of all-time” during an ESPN special.

“We all sit at this table all the time and sing his praises, I think LeBron is a great player. I just think that’s disrespectful honestly to Bill Russell,” McHale explained. He went on to list other past greats.

“Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan,” McHale added. “There are just so many. Two of my good…Larry and Magic, just led teams and turned the league around. You don’t need to say that about yourself. Let other people say that for you. I mean I was kind of surprised because I’d read about it, but that’s the first time I’d actually heard him say it, ‘Made me the GOAT.’ I’m like, [dang].”

https://www.boston.com/sports/sports-news/2019/01/03/kevin-mchale-lebron-james-goat

Heck, even MJ in an interview with Michael Wilbon in 2009 said being labeled as the GOAT was disrespectful to others that came before.

Love it. Great job McHale

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2019, 04:24:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Boston.com Logo
NEWS
WEATHER
SPORTS
 Share  Tweet

Of course MJ disrespected Kareem, Magic, Bird, Dr. J, Moses, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, and everyone who came after him in his little talk.  So what's the real difference. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
From 1983 to 1986 Larry Bird was the best player in the game.

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2019, 04:49:14 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It backfired on LeBron a bit don't you think?

I think that's fair.  He did pass Wilt in points recently.  Like Wilt, LBJ is one of the greatest of all time, just not THE greatest, yet.

Only a fool would think otherwise and he is running out of time and he knows it.  It has taken him more seasons to catch Jordan in points, plus he played in the no hand check era, but he is so big and strong, I wonder if that would have mattered.   I think if he were in the 80s and he was clothes lined, he would have a fair chance to bust out of it, but I think he would react poorly and in a negative fashion.   I could see him whining as he is a beast but not necessary tough.   You see, there has never been a more entitled player than LeBron in regards to refs and travels.  He think he is the league.

I wager he never catches up to Jordan in rings.

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2019, 04:54:09 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Lebron really screwed himself with the GOAT tag. Bill Russell has 11 Championships. And none would have been possible without him. Lebron will never get there. Besides, in my view, there was no greater player I've seen than Wilt Chamberlain. Ask Russell. Didn't he average 50ppg in his career?

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2019, 05:20:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Boston.com Logo
NEWS
WEATHER
SPORTS
 Share  Tweet

Of course MJ disrespected Kareem, Magic, Bird, Dr. J, Moses, Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, and everyone who came after him in his little talk.  So what's the real difference.

I was wondering if you were going to be less of a super fan of Lebron after he left Cleveland. Didn't you say it was a pretty non-winning weak move to do? Do you think Jordan would have been interested in going to the Lakers or Clippers to make space jam two? Serious question.

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2019, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Boston.com Logo
NEWS
WEATHER
SPORTS
 Share  Tweet

edit double post
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:33:10 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2019, 05:48:02 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
From 1983 to 1986 Larry Bird was the best player in the game.

Thank you. TP. People need to talk about this more in greatest ever talks.

Was LeBron ever as good as Super prime Larry over a three year span?

No.

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
greatest whiner of ALL TIME ....rivals former tennis star John McEnroe .

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Greatest player of all time to have a 3-6 NBA Finals record. Three rings coming from free agency forming superteams.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2019, 09:00:08 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Greatest player of all time to have a 3-6 NBA Finals record. Three rings coming from free agency forming superteams.

In a sport where one player can dominate like no other...

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2019, 09:05:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Hope Kyrie is taking notes.

MUST. BEAT. LAKERS. KYRIE---------for YOU and for BOS.

Russell did it...Larry did it.....Pierce did it....now it's YOUR turn, Kyrie.

Stop these Lakers from adding to LeBron's trophy chest but ADD a title or two to BOS's - and sweeten your legacy.

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
there are a lot of reasons why MJ is considred the GOAT and most of them do not concern his game.

1. Luck. He just happened to play at a time when the NBA was entering its boom period

2. MOST IMPORTANT REASON: He came after two of the more humble superstars, Magic and Larry, who both humbly proclaimed Michael as better than them.

3. NIKE: made MJ larger than life...they spent a fortune promoting MJ. This influenced people.

4. Luck. He had no competition and those who could have competed he charmed into submission. Barkley made a comment about players joking with MJ while he burned them over and over again.

5. Jerry and Jerry really built excellent teams around MJ.

6, Luck. The other players that could have competed with him at his height had no personality. Hakeem and Ewing were just too shy and not media savvy.

7. Luck. After Magic and Bird and the showtime Lakers the NBA decided to sell MJ.

All the above combined to make MJ thought of as the GOAT.