Author Topic: LeBron James: "I'm the Greatest Player of all Time"  (Read 7854 times)

Re: LeBron James: "I'm the Greatest Player of all Time"
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 07:06:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Lebron has already played more seasons than Jordan.  He has played over 4000 more regular season minutes and 2500 more post season minutes.  How exactly is that a fair comparison?

Still has not caught him in points either.

LeBron is more like Wilt than anyone.  Individually dominated his era, yet not a winner.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 07:34:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Lebron has already played more seasons than Jordan.  He has played over 4000 more regular season minutes and 2500 more post season minutes.  How exactly is that a fair comparison?

LeBron is more like Wilt than anyone.  Individually dominated his era, yet not a winner.

TP

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

LBJ scores 3ppg less than MJ but dishes 2 assists more with better efg.

In my mind the discussion is pointless .. there is no need for one GOAT. and there is no way to determine objectively such a thing.

MJ with the current rules would score 40 every night but we don't know if he could have had the same long carrier LBJ has. And although MJ got 2 3peats, James carried   to the finals a couple of awful teams that couldn't beat Jordan's bench warmers.  I don't know how people dismiss that just because he lost to the finals. Regardless of talent this still is a team sport

Even if LBJ is like Wilt (tbh i like the comparison) that is not a small thing. And this definitely keeps him in the GOAT discussion

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Whatever helps him sleep at night, however incorrect
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 10:30:42 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Curry was hurt and Draymond was curiously suspended at the most opportunistic time.

This is the craziest line that I read in this thread.

Curry was hurt? He played the second most minutes (246) in the series for the Warriors and was only one minute behind Thompson (247). Or did you just consider he must be hurt because Kyrie got the best of him?

Draymond was curiously suspended? He was consistantly kicking opponents in the nuts every round during the playoffs that year. He was getting called for flagrant fouls because of it each time, so he and the team knew where he stood before the league was forced to suspend him. The same thing happened to Perkins (arguing). After a certain amount of flagrant/technical fouls during the playoffs, you're automatically suspended.

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Curry was hurt and Draymond was curiously suspended at the most opportunistic time.

This is the craziest line that I read in this thread.

Curry was hurt? He played the second most minutes (246) in the series for the Warriors and was only one minute behind Thompson (247). Or did you just consider he must be hurt because Kyrie got the best of him?

Draymond was curiously suspended? He was consistantly kicking opponents in the nuts every round during the playoffs that year. He was getting called for flagrant fouls because of it each time, so he and the team knew where he stood before the league was forced to suspend him. The same thing happened to Perkins (arguing). After a certain amount of flagrant/technical fouls during the playoffs, you're automatically suspended.

Curry was actually hurt that series, there were some interviews about how he shouldn't have even been playing after rushing back from his knee injury. He also just didn't look right in the series and was missing a bunch of layups cause he was jumping weird. On the flip side, the cavs got really lucky the year before when Love and Irving were both hurt. The Cavs could have definitely had a chance to win that series if those guys played.

Every single team that wins a championship is really good and also has luck on their side along the way somewhere (unless they completely steamroll the competition in every single playoff series which is really rare).

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:13 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
the whole LEbron vs Jordan thing needs to go away.

Lebron will never be in the same class as the all time greats who played in an era where math and science did not help an athlete and where games closer resembled hockey than the Snowflake mouth guard chewing, non touching, three point lobbing era of today.

If Jordan, Magic or Bird all played in today's game they would be unstoppable. period. All would average near a triple double and in the case of Bird and Jordan would also be perennial all NBA defensive player of the year threats.

If Lebron played against the bully ball pistons in the 80s he would have retired.

and yay, no more robot testing to my posts.

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2019, 08:41:31 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
If he played in the 80s he wouldnt be in top 20
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Michael Jordan explains why he would never call himself the GOAT.

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1080590782283812864

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2019, 12:15:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Michael Jordan explains why he would never call himself the GOAT.

https://twitter.com/Ballislife/status/1080590782283812864
of course he did state his greatest teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEL4CDWXR8

I bet you can imagine which 6 teams he stated.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2019, 12:35:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Lebron will never be in the same class as the all time greats who played in an era where math and science did not help an athlete and where games closer resembled hockey than the Snowflake mouth guard chewing, non touching, three point lobbing era of today.

If Jordan, Magic or Bird all played in today's game they would be unstoppable. period. All would average near a triple double and in the case of Bird and Jordan would also be perennial all NBA defensive player of the year threats.

If Lebron played against the bully ball pistons in the 80s he would have retired.

he would have been viewed as soft .  his staying 100 % healthy is not an accident .  He avoids alot of rebounding and defense , only chipping in at the end of a game where he is needed mostl.  Send everybody else out to get heir brains beat out , while he watches and picks his spots to give effort,  just what is required to win the game.   Lebron could easily be the best defensive stopper and double his rebounds .  He chooses not to, to avoid contact . i notice this alot and it irks me his coasting and whining , i turn he TV off when he is on.    The old school coaches 30 years ago would not have let him give effort like he does. 

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2019, 12:58:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

he would have been viewed as soft .  his staying 100 % healthy is not an accident .  He avoids alot of rebounding and defense , only chipping in at the end of a game where he is needed mostl.  Send everybody else out to get heir brains beat out , while he watches and picks his spots to give effort,  just what is required to win the game.   Lebron could easily be the best defensive stopper and double his rebounds .  He chooses not to, to avoid contact . i notice this alot and it irks me his coasting and whining , i turn he TV off when he is on.    The old school coaches 30 years ago would not have let him give effort like he does.
All of the great players coast on defense as they age because quite frankly they have to.  During the title runs, Jordan coasted for 3 quarters and only really played defense in the 4th quarter of close games (or the playoffs).  This is especially true of the guys that carry the offensive load for their teams.  It is very taxing to handle a very high offensive usage, let alone if you add in full defensive effort all game.  They just can't do it for long periods of time as it just wears them down.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Seems like Lebron going to LA for business reasons and not basketball is something Jordan would not have done? Jordan certainly could have made some more money somewhere when he got sick of the owners

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Any think Lebron could've survived the 80's and 90's? You touch him and he goes down like he got shot by a .50 caliber rifle. Stays on the floor holding his face or whatever....please....then gets up and plays like nothing happened. He'd really have gotten knocked on his a$$ so often back then that he wouldn't dare go to the hole because he is a sissy. Sissies aren't GOATs.....better yet, GOATs aren't sissies.

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2019, 02:56:15 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I think that's fair.  He did pass Wilt in points recently.  Like Wilt, LBJ is one of the greatest of all time, just not THE greatest, yet.