Author Topic: LeBron James: "I'm the Greatest Player of all Time"  (Read 7853 times)

Re: LeBron James: "I'm the Greatest Player of all Time"
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 06:35:43 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Whether Lebron is the best of all time or not is debatable, he is going to end up on the Mount Rushmore of NBA players and is easily the best player of my generation. In order to be the best you have to believe you are best so I have no problem with Lebron thinking that, whether or not he needs to say it to the media is another story.

I have over the years really come to appreciate Lebron as a player and as a person, I know I will get a lot of hate here for saying that but he has been a really good role model to the younger generation, much better than players of the 80s and 90s. He plays the game the right way, try's to get his team involved makes the right play at the end of games instead of forcing up shots to try to be the hero.

His downsides are things that are attributed to 95% of superstars (Remember Paul Pierce saying he was the best player in the league in the summer of 2008). Nobody is perfect but expecting someone like Lebron not to have an ego is completely unreasonable and I will appreciate the person that he is over the person waiting to take over the mantle of best player in the game(Durant).

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 07:30:43 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I have always found the contrast between Jordan and LeBron very interesting.  They're opposites in many ways. 

LeBron is always telling or trying to convince people he's the greatest while Jordan just carried himself like he was.  Lebron cares what people think of him and is a bit thin skinned while Jordan didn't seem to care. 

LeBron is a good husband and father and does a lot for the community by donating and raising funds for good causes.  Jordan was a bad husband and father and as far as I know did little for the community.  LeBron speaks up on social causes while Jordan was famous for avoiding politics (Republicans buy sneakers too).

LeBron is always wearing the latest fashion fads such as shorts with his suits, man purses, and lenseless glasses while Jordan was always wearing tailor made expensive classy suits. 

LeBron spends his free time with family or hanging with other NBA players while Jordan spent his free time gambling and golfing. 

LeBron is always trying to befriend other great players while Jordan wanted to crush them. 

LeBron often whines on the court and gets down when things don't go his way.  Jordan seemed to be above such things. LeBron is also passive aggressive towards his teammates when he's frustrated with them while Jordan would confront them directly on and off the court.

LeBron shrunk away from many basketball challenges (switching teams, game 6 against the Celtics in 2010, the finals in 2011, etc.). To be fair he's had great moments too especially against GS.  Jordan always rose to the occasion and was inspirational to watch.

I think because of all these things LeBron is the better human being while Jordan was "cooler" and more liked as a player, personality, and icon.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 09:13:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
All great players think they are the best. Let's just listen to Jordan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEL4CDWXR8

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 09:58:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Nuhhh. Not for me anyway. He's definitely in the conversation though.

As far as I'm concerned, these are the GOAT candidates:

1. Magic (imo he's the GOAT)
2-8 (random order)
Russell
Wilt
Kareem
Oscar
Bird
Jordan
LeBron
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:04:57 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This guy has always had security issues. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 10:18:29 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Once a player starts praising his past accomplishments instead of talking about his current goals, it means he knows in his mind his era is over.

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 10:47:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
All great players think they are the best. Let's just listen to Jordan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqEL4CDWXR8

In Jordan's case one can make a stronger argument.  He won rings and has great stats.   LeBron is a loser in the finals and falls short in that category.  He puts up some of the best stats we have ever seen.   I wonder if his head hurts or is concussed with that groin injury????

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 11:13:41 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I remember when he said this before. "not 1, not 2, not 3".

the difference between Jordan and LeBron(besides class) Jordan let his legacy speak for itself. if you have to run around telling everyone about your legacy nobody will take you serious.

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2019, 11:31:44 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Self-promoting, tattoo-covered, carpetbagging, nitwit. Who happens to excel at basketball.

When you're the greatest player of all time, it's unnecessary to continually remind everyone. The greatest player of all time helps to build other players, he teaches others for the benefit of the fans and the City of fans that support the team. They don't desert an organization because you personally are not in contention to score another ring.

In the business world, they call them "Corporate raiders." They speculate, slip in the back door and destroy.   

Greatest of all time? Hardly.

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
This is laughable.

If Ray Allen misses that 3-pointer, the Spurs are winning that game and the Finals. And while CLE still had a chance at winning even if Kyrie misses the 3... that shot was VITAL as both teams were trading bricks but I tend to think if Kyrie doesn't hit it, GSW wins. CLE seemed to be running out of luck defensively.

And Lebron remembers the comeback in 2016, but not those other 3 teams he LOST the Finals to them? (2 of them being in dominant fashion including 1 sweep)

Also the underdogs in Dallas (w/Dirk) beat the "heavily favored Big 3 of Miami" in 6 games... ON THEIR COURT.

If Lebron wins one more ring, he's got a legit case, but I do think the 3-6 Finals Record combined with literally switching teams 3 times in his career (3 teams total) hurts his case. I mean hell, some folks still think Joe Montana > Tom Brady because Brady is 5-3 in SBs while Montana was undefeated at 4-0 (but you know, 5 > 4 also).

In a way, you could probably see why Kyrie wanted to leave Lebron when he did. He knew Lebron was leaving again anyways so he didn't want to stay in a bad situation, but he also didn't want to be the scapegoat of that team (which Love and JR Smith ended up being that year, although the latter did deserve it for that Game 1 blunder).

Oh yeah, and "not 1, not 2, not 3..." LOL  ::)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 03:59:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If Lebron wins one more ring, he's got a legit case, but I do think the 3-6 Finals Record combined with literally switching teams 3 times in his career (3 teams total) hurts his case. I mean hell, some folks still think Joe Montana > Tom Brady because Brady is 5-3 in SBs while Montana was undefeated at 4-0 (but you know, 5 > 4 also).

Nope.    6 -0 Trumps 3-6, your fooling yourself if you actually believe this comment.

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
All I’ll say is that I don’t think prime Michael Jordan gets the cavs to the finals last year

Playing in today’s game? He would have averaged 50 a game

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2019, 04:25:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
All I’ll say is that I don’t think prime Michael Jordan gets the cavs to the finals last year

I don't think so.

What does prime Jordan do better than LeBron?  Bron has all the speed, explosiveness, scoring, shooting... Bron has more range... Bron is significantly bigger (Barkley claims Jordan was actually 6'4... LeBron is 6'9 270), Bron has greater court vision...  Without Bron's elite level 3-point shooting, Jordan would struggle a bit dealing with the defensive length of teams like Boston ... he'd struggle to get his teammates involved in the same way... 

Honestly, I get why people hate on LeBron and Jordan's resume is sort of impeccable... I mean... in the sense that if you don't count the fact that he never even had an above .500 season his first three years in the league and it wasn't until the arrival of Pippen that his team was above average... and when he initially retired, the Bulls went from a 57 win team with him to a 55 win team with Pippen running the show without him... On the flip side, essentially every team Bron has joined has gone from 20 win garbage to 50+ win juggernaut... and has promptly gone back to a lotto team as soon as he's left - and we have multiple instances of this as proof.

But yeah... people hate Bron.  Jordan is a pre-internet god who is untouchable.   Bron's Finals resume isn't spotless in the same way.  That said, Jordan never successfully beat a 73 win defending champion.  And I genuinely don't think prime Jordan gets last year's Cavs team to the Finals. 

Bottom line is Bron is definitely top 2 and this era belongs to him.  He deserves respect and admiration.  You should feel lucky you get to watch this guy play basketball.  Sucks he joined the Lakers, though. 

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2019, 05:27:43 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I don't think so.

What does prime Jordan do better than LeBron?  Bron has all the speed, explosiveness, scoring, shooting... Bron has more range... Bron is significantly bigger (Barkley claims Jordan was actually 6'4... LeBron is 6'9 270), Bron has greater court vision...  Without Bron's elite level 3-point shooting, Jordan would struggle a bit dealing with the defensive length of teams like Boston ... he'd struggle to get his teammates involved in the same way... 

Honestly, I get why people hate on LeBron and Jordan's resume is sort of impeccable... I mean... in the sense that if you don't count the fact that he never even had an above .500 season his first three years in the league and it wasn't until the arrival of Pippen that his team was above average... and when he initially retired, the Bulls went from a 57 win team with him to a 55 win team with Pippen running the show without him... On the flip side, essentially every team Bron has joined has gone from 20 win garbage to 50+ win juggernaut... and has promptly gone back to a lotto team as soon as he's left - and we have multiple instances of this as proof.

But yeah... people hate Bron.  Jordan is a pre-internet god who is untouchable.   Bron's Finals resume isn't spotless in the same way.  That said, Jordan never successfully beat a 73 win defending champion.  And I genuinely don't think prime Jordan gets last year's Cavs team to the Finals. 

Bottom line is Bron is definitely top 2 and this era belongs to him.  He deserves respect and admiration.  You should feel lucky you get to watch this guy play basketball.  Sucks he joined the Lakers, though.

LeBron is a physical specimen that impacts winning positively, that being said, he is not fun to watch. Every team Bron leaves turns to garbage because he takes James Jones with him when he leaves. lol.

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

I don't think so.

Lebron is listed at 6'8" in shoes.  Jordan was 6'6" in shoes.  There was an official measurement of Lebron when we was starting his career and he measured at 6'7.25" barefoot.  Jordan may have been a shade under 6'5" barefoot.  There's no more than 3 inches of a difference in their height and it might be closer to 2 inches. It's hard to take the rest of your post seriously when you begin this way.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:20:59 PM by knuckleballer »