Author Topic: Hansbrough Returns UNC Senior Year; Ellington, Lawson Declare  (Read 7823 times)

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
April 25, 2008

CHAPEL HILL - Tyler Hansbrough, the 2007-08 National Player of the Year, will return to the University of North Carolina for his senior year and sophomore guards Wayne Ellington and Ty Lawson will declare for the NBA Draft but not hire agents, allowing for the possibility for them to return to school at a later date.

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042508aab.html

Though I'd love to see Tyler in green next year, I feel this is a great move, and hope others will follow his lead to stay in school.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Hansbrough Returns UNC Senior Year; Ellington, Lawson Declare
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 10:20:29 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I felt he should all alone...and after the final four,it reinforced my thinking,because he definitely could use that 1 yr.of maturity as a player,and he will probably go higher in the draft next year,by staying.He probably will be in the final four again next season,if not win it all.If they win,it would only raise his stock in the draft.

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I felt he should all alone...and after the final four,it reinforced my thinking,because he definitely could use that 1 yr.of maturity as a player,and he will probably go higher in the draft next year,by staying.He probably will be in the final four again next season,if not win it all.If they win,it would only raise his stock in the draft.

Yup ... good points, JJ ... TP. I think it's a wise move for him, though the chances of him being in green probably lessens, (though the odds weren't that high anyway). I think it will benefit him in experience and, as you say, should increase his NBA value next year. Time will tell.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 12:04:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I doubt this move will improve his stock or that the experience will benefit him. I really don't see him playing next year any better than he played this year.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:09:31 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i respect his decision and his dedication towards his education and team.  however, if it were me, i would have "cashed in" and established financial security for my future. you can always go back to school and finish ur degree.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:09:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I doubt this move will improve his stock or that the experience will benefit him. I really don't see him playing next year any better than he played this year.
Completely Agree.

He's already accomplished as much as possible as an individual player in the college system. Now he has to turn pro and learn how to play with all his flaws and how to be a role player. Won't learn that in college.

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:12:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I tend to agree.  Still, Hansborough really loves playing at UNC, and he wants to win a championship.  I admire his dedication to his school, and I'll never get down on a player for spending for years in college. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 12:37:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I tend to agree.  Still, Hansborough really loves playing at UNC, and he wants to win a championship.  I admire his dedication to his school, and I'll never get down on a player for spending for years in college. 

I'm with you, I was simply pointing out the motivations for doing so and the reasons for doing so has little to do with the draft and more to do with personal goals, etc. I'm glad he's staying (in a personal level), but speaking of the effects on the draft is another thing.

For NBA implications, sure he might improve, but in the scale of things I think it would be just about what is expected him to improve from one year to another... I don't think those types of things really improve one's stock.  I think though that there's bigger risk of him not impressing as he did this year.

With that said, I'm glad he's staying in school.  If for some reason he doesn't make it in the NBA, he can always look back to his college career and say he did everything he could to win the National Championship.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 12:40:43 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Though I usually agree with you BC, I'm not quite on the same bead with you here. I think the extra experience is almost always a plus. Sure, there have been many to come straight from high school who have had amazing careers, (like KG, Kobe, LeBron, etc.), but I've also always wondered what they would have been like with some college experience.

Maybe I should rephrase it to say that it's different for different players: I'm sure there are those who may actually benefit from going straight into the draft, and whose personalities might not mesh with the whole college thing, and I guess only the players themselves can make that decision. But there's so much more to college than just the playing experience, and having the maturity, (not just physically, but emotionally and psychologically as well), that develops in college, when going into the NBA, I feel is priceless.

I just feel the overall product is much more complete ... stronger in every aspect, and more able to adapt to interacting with other players and creating positive bonds, as well as dealing with being subordinate to a coach, which are things that many who skip college sometimes have trouble acclimating to. I could name examples, and comparisons to those who have made the college trip, but I think most here are aware of the differences.

As much as I love the guy, even KG has not had a smooth journey in some of these areas, and I think the whole college experience helps with those things, (though not with everyone, obviously). There's no clear-cut answer, but to say that staying in college makes no difference to the quality of the player, is not correct, I feel.

I also think most coaches and managements see the value in the experience and maturation process of higher education, and therefor find the value of these players to sometimes be much higher than it may have been otherwise. Please don't say that I'm making a blanket statement here about everyone, as I don't feel it always applies, but it certainly does in many cases, and I think Hansbrough's is one of those.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 12:55:21 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Though I usually agree with you BC, I'm not quite on the same bead with you here. I think the extra experience is almost always a plus. Sure, there have been many to come straight from high school who have had amazing careers, (like KG, Kobe, LeBron, etc.), but I've also always wondered what they would have been like with some college experience.

Maybe I should rephrase it to say that it's different for different players: I'm sure there are those who may actually benefit from going straight into the draft, and whose personalities might not mesh with the whole college thing, and I guess only the players themselves can make that decision. But there's so much more to college than just the playing experience, and having the maturity, (not just physically, but emotionally and psychologically as well), that develops in college, when going into the NBA, I feel is priceless.

I just feel the overall product is much more complete ... stronger in every aspect, and more able to adapt to interacting with other players and creating positive bonds, as well as dealing with being subordinate to a coach, which are things that many who skip college sometimes have trouble acclimating to. I could name examples, and comparisons to those who have made the college trip, but I think most here are aware of the differences.

As much as I love the guy, even KG has not had a smooth journey in some of these areas, and I think the whole college experience helps with those things, (though not with everyone, obviously). There's no clear-cut answer, but to say that staying in college makes no difference to the quality of the player, is not correct, I feel.

I also think most coaches and managements see the value in the experience and maturation process of higher education, and therefor find the value of these players to sometimes be much higher than it may have been otherwise. Please don't say that I'm making a blanket statement here about everyone, as I don't feel it always applies, but it certainly does in many cases, and I think Hansbrough's is one of those.

My thinking is that Hansbrough doesn't have many areas he can improve much more upon, hence his stock won't really improve; and those areas he can improve, I don't see him significantly improving them... sure his experience might help him, but he's not going to show much more of what he has already shown in 3 years of college basketball (which is quite good already as many young players are jumping into the draft).  And as I said above, the risk of him impressing less than what he's already shown this year is greater than he actually improving his stock with any degree of significance.

He is what he is, a hard worker and player... a hustler; everyone knows that.  They don't need another year of him doing it to realize this.

But that's purely NBA basketball oriented, I like that he's staying to chase the National Title.

I am going to disagree. 

There is the outside chance that the NBA does increase the age limit next year.  The will push him up higher in the draft.

Well this are external factors that he doesn't have control over nor what I was concerned about.  His stock value might change also because the talent level of the draft decreases.  I was arguing more of his intrinsic value.

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I am going to disagree. 

There is the outside chance that the NBA does increase the age limit next year.  The will push him up higher in the draft.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:25:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

My thinking is that Hansbrough doesn't have many areas he can improve much more upon, hence his stock won't really improve; and those areas he can improve, I don't see him significantly improving them... sure his experience might help him, but he's not going to show much more of what he has already shown in 3 years of college basketball (which is quite good already as many young players are jumping into the draft).  And as I said above, the risk of him impressing less than what he's already shown this year is greater than he actually improving his stock with any degree of significance.

He is what he is, a hard worker and player... a hustler; everyone knows that.  They don't need another year of him doing it to realize this.

But that's purely NBA basketball oriented, I like that he's staying to chase the National Title.

I am going to disagree. 

Well this are external factors that he doesn't have control over nor what I was concerned about.  His stock value might change also because the talent level of the draft decreases.  I was arguing more of his intrinsic value.
The extra year of college experience will do nothing for him. He's not playing against Durant and Oden of their third years. He's playing against boys. All the top talent is either a boy or has left. The standard isn't high enough for Hansbrough to make any large gains from experience. He's already completely dominated the competition.

He doesn't need more college experience. He's done it already.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 02:14:03 AM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
I don't understand the argument that more college experience is good. For one, if you are a guy that can get drafted, you are going to be playing 95% of your minutes against inferior, and in many cases vastly inferior, competition. How does that make you any better? Why not move up and play real players? I'd say that 10 minutes of playing against Kevin Garnett is equivalent to 10 games against North Carolina State.

Plus, the coaching in a lot of college basketball is just terrible. You are not going to learn anything from those coaches, particularly ones in the Pac 10 and the Big 12. Hansborough's conference and school is better than most, but not enough to make it worth it. To pick on my local coach, two of Texas' players announced this week they are going pro. Neither will be lottery picks, but I'd take the payday before I'd suffer through another year of Rick Barnes's coaching. That kind of experience is useful to no one.

That said, in Hainsborogh's case, it doesn't matter. He's not going to make it as a pro. Either he doesn't even make a roster or his ceiling is Matt Bonner's.

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 09:19:36 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
maybe ur right.. if wer talkin bout "Hainsborogh".. but wer not.. and i think psycho t would be a good addition to any team.. esp play off teams.. i really think his value would be higher on playoff teams than on lottery teams..

i applaud the move.. much like magic did in college (he couldve gone to the nba after his freshman yr but didnt want to leave college without giving his school a title).. shows his heart