Author Topic: Allonzo Trier waived - Any interest?  (Read 2131 times)

Allonzo Trier waived - Any interest?
« on: June 26, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Just curious, I liked him last year, but apparently he rubbed a lot of his teammate's off by having a 'ball dominant style,' but considering how much the team sucked last year, I'd take that issue with a grain of salt.

But when you take into account, he was waived in exchange for Theo Pinson, then it looks even worse... Hmmm..

Pinson, 24, spent his rookie season in 2018/19 on a two-way contract with the Nets, then got a guaranteed contract from the team this season. However, he struggled to produce, averaging 3.6 PPG on 2.90/.188/.938 shooting in 33 games (11.1 MPG).

Is he worth it as an reclamation project? I'd think he could come off the bench and score in short spruts, and he's been a decent 3P shooter too with decent size at 6'4.

As for Trier, he was a two-way success story in 2018/19, having his deal converted into a two-year contract worth nearly $7MM. But after averaging 10.9 PPG in 64 games (22.8 MPG) as a rookie, the 24-year-old fell mostly out of the rotation in his second year in New York, posting just 6.5 PPG in 24 games (12.1 MPG). There were whispers at the end of his first season that some of Trier’s teammates were put off by his ball-dominant style.

Trier was facing potential restricted free agency this offseason and it appears the Knicks’ new front office – led by Leon Rose – didn’t see him as part of the club’s future. He’ll become an unrestricted free agent if he clears waivers, which seems like a safe bet.

The Pinson/Trier swap represents the second roster change made by the Knicks this week. The team also claimed Jared Harper and waived Kadeem Allen on Thursday.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Allonzo Trier waived - Any interest?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 06:16:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If you mean for next year, there will already be a bit of a roster crunch with 12 roster spots guaranteed, 3 first round picks and decisions to be made on Semi, Tacko and Waters. Don't see room for him there

If you mean this year, are you going to cut Semi for him? Not a chance with Semi's defensive ability on 3s and 4s.

Edwards? And throw away $3.2 million? Nope.

Wanamaker? Wanamaker is a much better player. Nope.

Javonte? Maybe but I love the athletic scoring he gives and I think you reward Javonte with a postseason after a solid year as the 14th/15th guy on the roster.

So I would say no.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If you mean for next year, there will already be a bit of a roster crunch with 12 roster spots guaranteed, 3 first round picks and decisions to be made on Semi, Tacko and Waters. Don't see room for him there

If you mean this year, are you going to cut Semi for him? Not a chance with Semi's defensive ability on 3s and 4s.

Edwards? And throw away $3.2 million? Nope.

Wanamaker? Wanamaker is a much better player. Nope.

Javonte? Maybe but I love the athletic scoring he gives and I think you reward Javonte with a postseason after a solid year as the 14th/15th guy on the roster.

So I would say no.

Valid points. I don't really get the love for Javonte here though, I mean he's very limited, and he's about to be 27 next month...

So we can't sign him this year for the post-season? Is he not eligible? 

EDIT: Apparently he isn't, so that point is moot. Still I think taking a flier on him could be useful, I have to think next year will be some roster changes. I think Ainge will certainly go after a big man.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Just curious, I liked him last year, but apparently he rubbed a lot of his teammate's off by having a 'ball dominant style,' but considering how much the team sucked last year, I'd take that issue with a grain of salt.

But when you take into account, he was waived in exchange for Theo Pinson, then it looks even worse... Hmmm..

Pinson, 24, spent his rookie season in 2018/19 on a two-way contract with the Nets, then got a guaranteed contract from the team this season. However, he struggled to produce, averaging 3.6 PPG on 2.90/.188/.938 shooting in 33 games (11.1 MPG).

Is he worth it as an reclamation project? I'd think he could come off the bench and score in short spruts, and he's been a decent 3P shooter too with decent size at 6'4.

As for Trier, he was a two-way success story in 2018/19, having his deal converted into a two-year contract worth nearly $7MM. But after averaging 10.9 PPG in 64 games (22.8 MPG) as a rookie, the 24-year-old fell mostly out of the rotation in his second year in New York, posting just 6.5 PPG in 24 games (12.1 MPG). There were whispers at the end of his first season that some of Trier’s teammates were put off by his ball-dominant style.

Trier was facing potential restricted free agency this offseason and it appears the Knicks’ new front office – led by Leon Rose – didn’t see him as part of the club’s future. He’ll become an unrestricted free agent if he clears waivers, which seems like a safe bet.

TP for the thread, Monk!

I like Trier and have since his days at 'Zona. The two PED suspensions there seemed pretty innocuous.

His playing time went way down under Mike Miller compared to the time he got from Fizdale who liked him.

Also, there seems to be some representation issues/jealousy that could have made it more likely the Knicks would release him.

This from CBS Sports:

The Knicks have so much money to work with, though, that they likely wouldn't need Bird Rights to bring Trier back. They could simply dip into their cap space if they want to re-sign him.

The elephant in the room, though, is Trier's representation. He signed with Klutch Sports in February. Knicks president of basketball operations Leon Rose comes from CAA, where Klutch CEO Rich Paul got his start in basketball. There has been something of a rivalry between the two ever since. While the Knicks wouldn't waive a player simply based on who represents him, that underlying tension could have played a role in this decision.

I think that Miller's lack of respect for Trier (which may have a basis in fact or not) combined with his representation made him getting cut likely.

I like him and his ability to handle the ball for a 2 and his ability to score in bunches...I'd give him a shot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:52:47 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 12:37:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If he can't crack the rotation on the Knicks I'm not sure what purpose he would serve here.

Especially if there are already concerns on his ball dominance in just two seasons.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I would take a pass.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He's got more talent than the normal fringe NBA/G-league all-star type player. I've heard he's not a great lockerroom guy and that's why he was undrafted and the Knicks cut him.

Still, what's the reward that goes with the risk? His type of NBA talent is a scorer on the wing. He can make some good passes and distributes pretty well. But he's not all-star type player. His talents are fairly easy to duplicate with a player that is a better lockeroom guy. For example, Wanamaker can produce at a similar level, but he's a solid veteran presence on a minimum contract. Turners, Wanamakers, and Larkins (etc.) are ever available, especially with CBS system.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 11:19:05 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He is a chucker that isn't a good locker room guy. Hard to think he would be added to this team that supposedly now wants only "good character" guys.

He could be a good over seas player though. They could use scoring and language barriers could excuse his character flaws for a year or two.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline Tomo122

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I think he could be a future Lou Williams at the right organisation.

NY is just a disaster and he outperformed his draft stock/college projection by a ton despite coming on strong later in Arizona.

One player I'd like to get hold of (for cheap hopefuly) is Dorian Finney-Smith.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 09:15:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think he could be a future Lou Williams at the right organisation.

NY is just a disaster and he outperformed his draft stock/college projection by a ton despite coming on strong later in Arizona.

One player I'd like to get hold of (for cheap hopefuly) is Dorian Finney-Smith.
I agree completely about Finney-Smith, except those dang Mavs have him locked up on a 3 year $12m contract. Great value contract, but he will probably be looking at a solid payday when he comes off this contract.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)