Author Topic: Lawrence Taylor was arrested ,charged with third-degree rape of 15 yr old  (Read 10050 times)

Re: Lawrence Taylor was arrested ,accused of raping a 15 year old girl
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:45:59 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5167613

Wow ... this is stunning ... really. Just saw him on a NutriSystem commercial, and was thinking how good he looked, like he'd finally gotten his life together. Double-wow. When a troubled life belongs to a celebrity, it seems much harder to overcome, (though I'm sure that's just impression of it). Geez.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:01:32 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Man I hope this turns out to not be true.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Yikes :o
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Lawrence Rothlishberger is a crazy man.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty despicable if true.

Certainly hope it isn't.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Man I hope this turns out to not be true.
Same here.  Wow.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not that this makes it all better, but this is statutory rape, not violent rape, right?

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Not that this makes it all better, but this is statutory rape, not violent rape, right?

I wondered the same thing.

The thing about statutory rape that I have always found kind of unforgiving, is the notion that a girl would lie about her age, especially to a famous person.

If a girl that is 16 lies and says she is 19 to get close to a musician or movie star she is a fan of, and she looks the part, I dunno how it is such a faux pas for the movie star there.

But, on the other hand, I guess it's part of the package. The have to live a different, more black and white, life. I don't think it is right that paparrazi follow these people around either, but I guess at some level its the price you pay.

EDIT: That comes off as pretty slimy, and even if LT was tricked he has no business hanging out with a 15 year old girl in any kind of capacity. I'm not saying I approve of it, I disapprove.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:24:14 PM by IndeedProceed »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
EDIT: That comes off as pretty slimy, and even if LT was tricked he has no business hanging out with a 15 year old girl in any kind of capacity. I'm not saying I approve of it, I disapprove.

I don't think it sounds slimy at all (your comment, not LT's situation) - it's not a good thing for a 51 year old guy to be hanging around with anyone anywhere near the age of consent.  But "tricked" or not, consensual sex with an underage girl is a different animal than violent rape.  Doesn't make it a good thing by any means, but it's a much different sort of crime.

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

I don't even think there's much of a difference. That's the point of the law. It's 100% the responsibility of the adult to think with their head and ensure the safety of children. The point is there can't be consensual sex with an underage person because they are not able to truly consent; they have not fully developed those emotional and intellectual parts of their brains. And any rape is an act of violence, power, and predation. 

It's amazing how easy it is to get through life without raping anyone if you just, you know, stay out of the predatory mindset.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I don't even think there's much of a difference. That's the point of the law. It's 100% the responsibility of the adult to think with their head and ensure the safety of children. The point is there can't be consensual sex with an underage person because they are not able to truly consent; they have not fully developed those emotional and intellectual parts of their brains. And any rape is an act of violence, power, and predation. 

It's amazing how easy it is to get through life without raping anyone if you just, you know, stay out of the predatory mindset.

I am not arguing advocating statutory rape by any means.

But I don't think it is always that cut and dry, or always that 'simple', especially for celebrities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America#State_laws

Age of consent varies from 16-18 across the US. In LT's case, he's up a creek anyways..and 15 is kind beyond the pale regardless of what any state law says.

However, if lets say Joakim Noah, a pretty well known lothario in the NBA, got involved with a girl in NYC who claimed to be 21, who he met in a nightclub, but who was actually 16...

I mean that's one of those situations where you have to ask what you would do. Do you ask for ID? Get her to sign an affidavit?

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

But I don't think it is always that cut and dry, or always that 'simple', especially for celebrities.

Age of consent varies from 16-18 across the US. In LT's case, he's up a creek anyways..and 15 is kind beyond the pale regardless of what any state law says.

However, if lets say Joakim Noah, a pretty well known lothario in the NBA, got involved with a girl in NYC who claimed to be 21, who he met in a nightclub, but who was actually 16...

I mean that's one of those situations where you have to ask what you would do. Do you ask for ID? Get her to sign an affidavit?

Well, i'd say avoiding slimeball situations is a good place to start. But if you can't resist, maybe try avoiding girls that look a little young to be 21. I'd say 99% of the time you can kind of tell when someone is in a borderline age range, unless your trying not to notice it.

But yeah, i guess if there's a question, don't have sex and hope it all works out. Find someone you know is of age. You have to be doing something pretty predatory to "accidently" rape someone. And if you're going to be trolling in those types of places, you lose the right to be surprised if you rape someone. It'd kind of be like shooting bullets through tinted windows then killing someone and saying "how was i supposed to know someone was behind that window?

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Well, i'd say avoiding slimeball situations is a good place to start. But if you can't resist, maybe try avoiding girls that look a little young to be 21. I'd say 99% of the time you can kind of tell when someone is in a borderline age range, unless your trying not to notice it.

But yeah, i guess if there's a question, don't have sex and hope it all works out. Find someone you know is of age. You have to be doing something pretty predatory to "accidently" rape someone. And if you're going to be trolling in those types of places, you lose the right to be surprised if you rape someone. It'd kind of be like shooting bullets through tinted windows then killing someone and saying "how was i supposed to know someone was behind that window?

Well, in my hypothetical situation they met at the hotel bar at the Waldorf Astoria. And she totally looked 21.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and your common sense approach to it is pretty solid.

But how much common sense do celebrities have. I just think the word predatory is awful menacing..and isn't a fit word to use to describe a gullible idiot who can get easily manipulated.

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

But if you can't trust the girls pimp, who can you trust?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class