Author Topic: Pats Sign Torry Holt  (Read 5767 times)

Re: Pats Sign Torry Holt
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 03:29:38 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Holt obviously isn't the star he used to be, but he'll be fine as a second or third receiver.

Agree completely. He caught 50 balls last year with a mediocre Qb throwing to him.

If the Pats draft Bryant in the 1st or Tate in the 2nd, when Welker comes back I believe their WR corps will be one of the best in the league.

They won't draft Dez Bryant.  He'll be gone before #22, and the Pats VERY rarely trade up to pick someone - and Bryant's not the guy they'll trade up for.  Golden Tate, maybe in the second.     Not sure about him since he seems to project as a slot guy, and they've got Welker coming back and Welker II in Edelman.  Maybe with the last 2nd rounder if he's still on the board, but I'm thinking they address their needs at TE, LB, and maybe RB before grabbing a wideout.  

Don't forget the other Tate (Brandon?) that we drafted last year, they seem to be reasonably high on him.

EDIT: As to Torry Holt....   meh.  Maybe he's got enough left to be a fourth wideout, but we'll have to see.  He's spent most of his career indoors, too, let's see how he does in January (or ideally... February ;)).

A game played in February would be played indoors  ;D and in a warm location  ;D!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Holt obviously isn't the star he used to be, but he'll be fine as a second or third receiver.

Agree completely. He caught 50 balls last year with a mediocre Qb throwing to him.

If the Pats draft Bryant in the 1st or Tate in the 2nd, when Welker comes back I believe their WR corps will be one of the best in the league.

They won't draft Dez Bryant.  He'll be gone before #22, and the Pats VERY rarely trade up to pick someone - and Bryant's not the guy they'll trade up for.  Golden Tate, maybe in the second.     Not sure about him since he seems to project as a slot guy, and they've got Welker coming back and Welker II in Edelman.  Maybe with the last 2nd rounder if he's still on the board, but I'm thinking they address their needs at TE, LB, and maybe RB before grabbing a wideout. 

Don't forget the other Tate (Brandon?) that we drafted last year, they seem to be reasonably high on him.

EDIT: As to Torry Holt....   meh.  Maybe he's got enough left to be a fourth wideout, but we'll have to see.  He's spent most of his career indoors, too, let's see how he does in January (or ideally... February ;)).

A game played in February would be played indoors  ;D and in a warm location  ;D!

not really a concern right now, this team has alot to prove before you can start worrying about January games.  Namely replacing Richard Seymour and whether or not Darius Butler steps up this season to be a starting caliber corner.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
Let's hope he doesn't turn into Joey Galloway (he shouldn't).

+1

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
prediction: 70 catches, 850 yards (if healthy all year).

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

Not a chance, he won't get that many targets.  Best-case, he'll be the third wideout at the start of the season and fourth once Welker's back.

An optimist looks at Holt's numbers last year and adjusts upwards because he had a crappy QB throwing him the ball.  A pessimist adjusts downward because there wasn't really anyone else to throw the ball to.  Count me in the latter camp.

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Not a chance, he won't get that many targets.  Best-case, he'll be the third wideout at the start of the season and fourth once Welker's back.

An optimist looks at Holt's numbers last year and adjusts upwards because he had a crappy QB throwing him the ball.  A pessimist adjusts downward because there wasn't really anyone else to throw the ball to.  Count me in the latter camp.

Personally im going to balance the optomist view and pessimist view and say he puts up this year close to what he put up last year. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I'm thinking forty-ish catches, 500-ish yards.  Jabar Gaffney numbers from '07 and '08.  Donte Stalworth, the third wideout in Brady's 5000-yard season, still only had 46 catches that year.  

In any case, Holt will HAVE to be better than Galloway!  

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 05:22:09 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

YOu need to hope and pray this doesn't happen. If that's the case it means Welker probably didn't come back until very late in the season if at all.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I love it. It means instead of being tempted to reach for a WR in the 1rst, they can wait till the 2nd round and get a Damian Williams, or even the the 4th or something and get a Taylor Price or someone

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I love it. It means instead of being tempted to reach for a WR in the 1rst, they can wait till the 2nd round and get a Damian Williams, or even the the 4th or something and get a Taylor Price or someone

Count me as happy if the Pats get Damian Williams in the 2nd round.
Celtics fan for life.