Author Topic: Jets trade 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes  (Read 3612 times)

Jets trade 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Story here:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqVDR0_4PLuZm53R_kTOitpDubYF?slug=ap-jets-steelerstrade

Obviously, the Jets have made a lot of headline trades/acquisitions this offseason.  It remains to be seen how this translates onto the field.

My first reaction to this news was positive in that it improves the ability of the Pats to get a quality WR with one of their 2nd round picks, since the Jets were widely thought to use their 1st round pick on a WR.  That now seems unlikely.

(I think the Pats need to get a DE with the first pick, and a quality WR with one of the 2nd round picks).
Celtics fan for life.

Re: Jets trade 5th round pick for Santonio Holmes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Absolute steal for the Jets. Even with his baggage he's worth that.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:02:47 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
4 game suspension on it's way. 

Of course that means the Steelers are more likely to grab a WR in the 1st.

The Jets have alot of baggage with their receivers. 

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:11:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Of course that means the Steelers are more likely to grab a WR in the 1st.

Good point.  I am brain dead this morning -- didn't even think about that.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »

Online heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
absolute steal for the Jets. I think the Patriots dominance and reign in the AFC will come to an end this year. 1 shut down corner, another possible shut down corner signed - Cromartie. and now adding ANOTHER above average WR. ok so they took a step back with LT at RB, but....they're still good. I hope the Pats don't try to win with their legacy and Patriot mystique - cuz this year it won't work

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hate to say it but great move by the Jets.  Only costing them a 5th rounder?  That's a no-brainer.  If he's trouble, you dump and the cost is minimal.  If it works out, its an absolute steal.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 01:35:52 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
absolute steal for the Jets. I think the Patriots dominance and reign in the AFC will come to an end this year. 1 shut down corner, another possible shut down corner signed - Cromartie. and now adding ANOTHER above average WR. ok so they took a step back with LT at RB, but....they're still good. I hope the Pats don't try to win with their legacy and Patriot mystique - cuz this year it won't work

It sure is a steal for the Jets.  But too early to write off the Pats.  The offseason isn't over yet.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 01:41:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's a good move, but until the Jets prove that they can have a consistent running game without Thomas Jones, I'm not going to take them as seriously as maybe I should.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the guy is too major a headache and that the Jets could get him for just a fifth rounder, I feel, tells you just how much of a headache he is. He'll be unavailable for at least the first 4 games or until he gets out of jail after his next arrest, which ever is later. And, let's face it, we all KNOW another legal problem is coming.

Whether is be for drunk and disorderly, possession, possession with intent to distribute, domestic violence, assault, weapons charges, whatever. This guy is bad news and the farther a GM can keep him away from a locker room, the better the job that GM is doing, IMHO.

I'm glad the Jets got him. He will only cause trouble and problems for their PR department and in their locker room and they now have one less draft pick. Good. If the Jets want to pick up every felon in the league, be my guest. Just more reason to hate them.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It's a good move, but until the Jets prove that they can have a consistent running game without Thomas Jones, I'm not going to take them as seriously as maybe I should.
I still can't believe they basically chose LDT over Thomas Jones.

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »

Online heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
ok...let it be known that I'm not a JETS fan, however, I am a realist - with a white, blue and silver heart (Pat's fan).
Lets just say that the Jets use a spread offense 4/5 WRs, to both stretch the field while opening up short passes. Who says they need a very good RB. Remember that's sorta the same strategy that worked for the Pats a few years ago. Good WRs and a serviceable RB.
But remember the Jets do have one of the stingiest secondaries and they just got better.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
ok...let it be known that I'm not a JETS fan, however, I am a realist - with a white, blue and silver heart (Pat's fan).
Lets just say that the Jets use a spread offense 4/5 WRs, to both stretch the field while opening up short passes. Who says they need a very good RB. Remember that's sorta the same strategy that worked for the Pats a few years ago. Good WRs and a serviceable RB.
But remember the Jets do have one of the stingiest secondaries and they just got better.

Solid point. 

I'm just not that sold on Sanchez and Braylon Edwards still has a tendency to drop passes and show inconsistency. 

Their defense should definitely be a force to be reckoned with, thouh.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Jets have 'Oakland Raiders' written all over them. Sanchez is probably a little better than Russell, but I am not sold at all- and I think this whole thing could blow up...which is great if you are a Pats fan.

That being said, a 5th round pick is worth a shot on a solid WR.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 04:27:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Shonne Green is a good RB.