Author Topic: NFL Draft 2010  (Read 59206 times)

Re: NFL Draft 2010
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 11:26:35 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Lots and lots of mock drafts have the Pats taking Brandon Graham but the Pats have had the opportunity to draft smallish OLB before and passed every time

They hate the little guys in on the outside in a 3-4 set

These mock draft guys will never learn

Ricky Sapp or Sergio Kindle is more like the type of player that Belichick likes as an outside linebacker

6'4", 250 lbs. with room to pack on some muscle while having the strength and quickness to rush the passer and the footwork, speed, height and size to get back in coverage and grab a TE or RB out of the backfield

If they don't trade the pick and either of those guys are there, I say they take one of them
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 10:09:59 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
My co-favorite magazine of the year has arrived...Lindy's NFL Draft. In two days the Sporting News one should be out.

Observations.

It's probably going to be a tad bit frustrating for the Pats to be drafting against Pete Carrol who obviously has all the inside info on the USC guys and a good general understanding of the PAC 10 players.

It must all be even tougher to draft against the Chiefs with three major coaches there that run the exact same system we do with the same needs.

On the plus side Notre Dame has made players for us like Golden Tate and Eric Olsen that have played in our offense for years now, and Alabama and good friend Nick Saban has made players on both sides of the ball (lots of prospects from there) in our system.

That said the Pats didn't draft a single player from either school last year.

With 4 picks in the first two rounds I think there's a good chance they take 2 WRs, especially since Belichek fudged up both the Bethel Johnson and Chad jackson picks.

You'd think they'd want a TE and Bama has a 4th round prospect, but from what I read Rob Gronkowski would be perfect and we may very well get a shot at him.

There should be several good college RBs available where they pick.

Navaro Bowman would be a great OLB.

I think our defense gets better just by getting older.

A young secondary with many recent picks (some showing more promise than others) should start to get better. I have some faith in Chung, a good deal in Butler, Wheatley hasn't been cut yet, Bodden seems to want to come back, and Merriwhether made a Pro Bowl. Hopefully it'll help.

Young LBers hopefully get better. A year of starting for Guyton. Hopefully a good offseason of health for Mayo. And most important between Crable and Tyrone McKenzie coming back from injury hopefully one of them helps.

3 draft picks on the DL hopefully grow.

That leaves most of the draft to go for offense.

I am hoping just by Vollmer becoming a starter plus two other draft picks last year on the line hopefully they get better.

But Belichek needs to use those 4th thru 7th round picks well, like he did last year. I could use another Edlemen.

I have given up on Tebow unless he falls  to later in the draft.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 11:05:47 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
so much talk on tebow, a guy who has zero, let me repeat, zero chance to be a good nfl player. 3rd round pick if he is lucky. let's talk about guys who have a chance to impact the nfl.

pats have so many holes and the list of needs will grow by one if bodden is signing with hou, as expected. graham may be the first round pick. true he does not fit their mold, but they have to be flexible and learn to adjust. they need to get faster. wr is a need, so is rb, oline, de, and lb, perhaps cb. and obviously TE, since they have none of them on the roster. for a playoff team, they have a ton of holes. hughes out of tcu might me a nice fir if he is there, as is weatherspoon out of mizzou.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 11:22:33 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Read reports on Tebow that he was having problems at the Senior Bowl practices just taking the ball from under center and learning 3,5,and 7 step drop backs

This stuff is just drilled into most pro quarterback prospects for years before being able to be drafted

Tebow has to now learn it and learn through his mistakes

Teams have seen and heard all this and because of it IF he's chosen as a QB, it will be in the 4th round or later

I think someone takes him in the 3rd or 4th and try to make him a TE or splitback

Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Todd McShay and Mel Kiper just came out with their latest Mock Drafts at ESPN Insider:

http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10054000/10054567.jpg

For those without:

Team - Kiper Pick - McShay Pick

1. Rams - Sam Bradford QB OU - Sam Bradford QG OU
2. Lions - Ndamukong Suh DT Neb - Ndamukong Suh DT Neb
3. Bucs - Gerald McCoy DT OU - Gerald McCoy DT OU
4. Redskins - Jimmy Clausen QB ND - Russell Okung OT Olka St
5. Chiefs - Eric Berry S Tenn - Eric Berry S Tenn
6. Seahawks - Russell Okung OT Olka St - Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa
7. Browns - Jason Pierre-Paul DE USF - Joe Haden CB Florida
8. Raiders - Bruce Campbell OT Maryland - Bruce Campbell OT Maryland
9. Bills - Trent Williams OT OU - Jimmy Clausen QB ND
10. Jags - Derrick Morgan DE GT - Earl Thomas S Texas
11. Broncos - Dez Bryant WR Okla St - Dez Bryant WR Okla St
12. Dolphins - Dan Williams DT Tenn - Dan Williams DT Tenn
13. 49ers - Joe Haden CB Florida - Trent Williams OT OU
14. Seahawks - Everson Griffen DE USC - CJ Spiller RB Clemson
15. Giants - Rolando McClain ILB Bama - Rolando McClain ILB Bama
16. Titans - Sergio Kindle OLB Texas - Derrick Morgan DE GT
17. 49ers - Mike Iupati G Idaho - Jason Pierre-Paul DE USF
18. Steelers - Anthony Davis OT Rutgers - Mike Iupati G Idaho
19. Falcons - CJ Spiller RB Clemson - Everson Griffen DE USC
20. Texans - Kyle Wilson CB Boise St - Kyle Wilson CB Boise St
21. Bengels - Arrelius Benn WR Illinois - Taylor Mays S USC
22. Pats - Brandon Graham OLB Michigan - Brandon Graham OLB Michigan
23. Packers - Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa - Anthony Davis OT Rutgers
24. Eagles - Maurkice Pouncey C Florida - Sergio Kindle OLB Texas
25. Ravens - Jermaine Gresham TE OU - Jermaine Gresham TE OU
26. Cards - Jerry Hughes LB TCU - Jerry Hughes LB TCU
27. Cowboys - Earl Thomas S Texas - Charles Brown OT USC
28. Chargers - Terrence Cody DT Bama - Ryan Matthews RB Fresno St
29. Jets - Taylor Mays S USC - Jared Odrick DE Penn St
30. Vikes - Devin McCourtney CB Rutgers - Brian Price DT UCLA
31. Colts - Brian Price DT UCLA - Maurkice Pouncey C Florida
32. Saints - Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri - Sean Weatherspoon OLB Missouri

I don't see how ESPN tries to portray these two guys off as separate guys with separate opinions because they have 14 guys being taken by the same team at the same position in the draft and of Kiper's top 22 picks 21 of those guys are in McShay's top 22

Glad to see neither has learned about the Pats abhorrence to small outside LBs

They have continually picked smaller LBs that could make play for the Pats and the Pats continually overlook them come game day

Belichick likes the huge athletic OLB that can sometimes go down in a three point stance and rush the QB when he needs them to

So if both McShay and Kiper say Brandon Graham for the Pats then the one thing I can count on is that graham will not be chosen by the Pats
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 01:54:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Clausen at #4 to the Redskins?  Yikes.  :o

Everyone and their mother has Graham going to the Pats in their mock drafts these days which means there's about a zero percent chance of that happening.  I'm not even sold on them addressing OLB/DE with that first pick and I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they moved around in the first round, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Yeah, Dons, I don't get the Graham choice

Last year Belichick passed over passed over two of the USC LBs when everyone had them taking either Matthews or Maualuga

But most locals guys felt the reason the were passed over is because the just weren't big enough or strong enough to fit into the Belichick LB mold

He likes them big and strong and fast 6'3"+ 250+

Graham is not in that mold
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 02:19:41 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Im no draft expert but I wouldnt mind if the Pats used their 2 of their 4 first and second round picks on OL. I am not sure who they should target but I know I like what the Jets have done by drafting O linemen. Our line was once elite but they are getting up there in age. Lets build a line starting with Mankins and Vollmer.

As much flack as Maroney and the other backs have gotten over the years, much of the inability to rush the ball has to fall on the shoulders of the offensive line. Even in 07 we did not controll the line of scrimage well when running the ball. Pass protection has been good but that has a lot to do with Brady's ability to get rid of the ball. He was on his back ALOT last year.

As far as the other 2 picks, I would go with a pass rusher and a D lineman.

Please no WR or RB early!

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 02:21:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Im no draft expert but I wouldnt mind if the Pats used their 2 of their 4 first and second round picks on OL. I am not sure who they should target but I know I like what the Jets have done by drafting O linemen. Our line was once elite but they are getting up there in age. Lets build a line starting with Mankins and Vollmer.

As much flack as Maroney and the other backs have gotten over the years, much of the inability to rush the ball has to fall on the shoulders of the offensive line. Even in 07 we did not controll the line of scrimage well when running the ball. Pass protection has been good but that has a lot to do with Brady's ability to get rid of the ball. He was on his back ALOT last year.

As far as the other 2 picks, I would go with a pass rusher and a D lineman.

Please no WR or RB early!

Yeah, personally I wouldn't be shocked if Belichick went OL in the first round.  We are aging and there are down the road FA concerns.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Every single time I think I have any idea whatsoever of what Belichek will do he does the oppositte.

We need recievers, TEs, OLBs, and a RB really bad.

Given what he does logic tells me to expect him to trade down a little and get some of these things.

Experience tells me he ends up taking a DB, OL, DL, and Tebow.

It's very scary being a Pat fan on draft day.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Every single time I think I have any idea whatsoever of what Belichek will do he does the oppositte.

Given what he does logic tells me to expect him to trade down a little and get some of these things.

Experience might tell you he takes a DB, DL and OL

I think your heart is hoping he takes Tebow
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:59 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Tebow is like Eric Montros.  Although I do think he'll go before the third round. 

I think we make a trade for an offensive player, Marshall, Olsen. 

I like Pierre-Paul but I think he'll be gone by our pick. 

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 03:50:26 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
don't be suprised to see bb trade out of the first.  he has three seconds, but gave up a third for burgess.  i say he trades out of the first and picks up a third and another pick, maybe a second next year.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Experience might tell you he takes a DB, DL and OL

I think your heart is hoping he takes Tebow

I see why you're saying that. I did do the Tebow cheerleading. However he's just not working out. He didn't do well at the Senior Bowl. He didn't do well on the wonderlic.

We have too many needs. I like him in the 4th or if they trade down and get more picks, but I just don't see it.

Time's running out on him. 

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Pat Kirwan at NFL.com also has us taking Brandon Graham.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816d8732&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lindy's has us taking

21 Sergio Kindle
2nd rnd #12  DT Terrence Cody from Bama
16 RB Jahvid Best
21 WR Damian Williams USC

I'd have to say the Terrence Cody thing will probably change since they got V Wilfork back and Brace is still around.

Personally I kinda like it when belichek trades down to the 2nd round to get more picks. I'd rather have Sean Weatherspoon AND Navarro Bowman than just Kindle. They could be just as good and for less money.

It's what he did last year in the 2nd round. Vollmer, Butler, Brace, and Chung were just as good of picks as many 1rst rounders