Poll

Are you happy with the Cassel/Vrabel trade?

Yes, they received fair value in return.
18 (48.6%)
No, they could have gotten more.
19 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Cassel Trade Poll  (Read 11300 times)

Re: Cassel Trade Poll
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 10:02:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No prob. Richard Seymore. That's almost 10 mill right there. If you press me further I'd say Bruschi who is entering his 14th season.

Then it's pretty clear jarvis Green is over paid at 5.4 mill considering he doesn't start although I'm not sure I cut him AND seymor

Then there's Matt Light who is about 29 years old and got paid 5.4 mill to let Justin Tuck clean his clock in the Super Bowl.

Then Stephen Neal at 3.4 mill for a guard seems pretty high when you can get a vet cheaper and draft a younger kid a lot cheaper to back up Russ hochsetin

Then there's 1.5 mill for Pierre Woods.

And David Thomas hasn't earned his salary either.

Plus you can cut $14 mill when you traded Cassell.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
No prob. Richard Seymore. That's almost 10 mill right there. If you press me further I'd say Bruschi who is entering his 14th season.

Then it's pretty clear jarvis Green is over paid at 5.4 mill considering he doesn't start although I'm not sure I cut him AND seymor

Then there's Matt Light who is about 29 years old and got paid 5.4 mill to let Justin Tuck clean his clock in the Super Bowl.

Then Stephen Neal at 3.4 mill for a guard seems pretty high when you can get a vet cheaper and draft a younger kid a lot cheaper to back up Russ hochsetin

David Thomas should not be paid period after that ridiculous late penalty that effectively cost us a playoff spot.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 10:20:44 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

you didnt read the chart correctly.  Cutting Seymour would result in a 2009 cap savings of only 3.3 million. 
Bruschi = 1.4
Jarvis Green = 2
Matt light = 3.8
Stephen neal = 2
Woods = 1
Thomas 74k.

but I am concerned you want to cut so many starters (and Neal is a starter on the o line when healthy).

with those listed players, you havent even cleared 12 million in 2009 cap space, yet we have lost 3 sure bet starters (neal, light, seymour) a top reserve (green), two important reserves (bruschi and woods)

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think it was a fair trade.  We got a high 2nd round pick for a QB who has had ONE successful season with two of the best wide receivers in the league.  There was not a chance we got a top 15-20 pick for him, especially with a contract of 14 mil a year and not knowing whether or not they were going to be able to renegotiate a contract with him.  Also, a pro of having the 2nd round pick is we get to pay that player less money and still get a solid player.  Also, Vrabel did not have much trade value, he's old, he was starting to slow down, he's a good locker room guy, but the Pats were fine in getting rid of him.  Do we really know how good Matt Cassel really is?  He showed promise, but promise doesn't always mean he's going to be a star.
do it

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 11:06:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I look at it this way, would I rather have Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel, a guy who won't play next year and another who at the end of last year looked like he couldn't play anymore or would I rather have Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Nathan Hodel and possibly a future centerpiece player chosen with that 2nd round pick?

The answer is easy for me, especially if that 2nd rounder turns into a Clay Matthews or Vontae Davis or James Laurinatis or Darius Butler. I think any or all of these guys could be on their radar and I think they all have the skills to make an impact immediately.

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 11:20:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I look at it this way, would I rather have Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel, a guy who won't play next year and another who at the end of last year looked like he couldn't play anymore or would I rather have Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Nathan Hodel and possibly a future centerpiece player chosen with that 2nd round pick?

The answer is easy for me, especially if that 2nd rounder turns into a Clay Matthews or Vontae Davis or James Laurinatis or Darius Butler. I think any or all of these guys could be on their radar and I think they all have the skills to make an impact immediately.

I agree.

The Pats probably could've gotten more if they had waited longer with moving Cassell.  However, I have no doubt it would've hurt them in free agency.  They needed the salary cap flexibility in order to get anything done.  This couldn't have been done without moving Cassel.  Moving Vrabel also helped.  There is a lot of action at the start of free agency and the Pats wanted to be active players.  I like a lot of these low cost free agent signings they made and they are loaded with high draft picks right now. 

This draft is one where the Pats can really extend their timeframe as one of the top teams in the NFL.  I've mentioned it before but I see them at a organizational crossroads much like the aging 49ers were in the mid-80s.  That team had won two Super Bowls but was an aging bunch.  Walsh & Co. were able to acquire draft picks and this enabled them to reload and stay ultra-competitive.  It also led to 3 more Super Bowl titles in the late 80s and early 90s.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 12:01:11 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I was thinking this was about Sam Cassell...silly me, this is a basketball blog.

Wait a minute...
God bless and good night!

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 12:05:09 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Nick and Donoghus both make good points.  I really like some of the signings done by the Pats so far this offseason, and am excited about the draft.  The Pats have a bunch of picks and the draft is supposed to be deep.

I really hope BB makes some more stellar draft picks (Asante Samuel).

{Edit: Mike Reiss has started to list some of the players the Pats have been looking at closely.  Possible 1st/ 2nd rounders include Safeties Chung, Delmas, and Moore and OT Jamon Meredith.}
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:22:41 AM by Cman »
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 07:11:06 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

you didnt read the chart correctly.  Cutting Seymour would result in a 2009 cap savings of only 3.3 million. 
Bruschi = 1.4
Jarvis Green = 2
Matt light = 3.8
Stephen neal = 2
Woods = 1
Thomas 74k.

but I am concerned you want to cut so many starters (and Neal is a starter on the o line when healthy).

with those listed players, you havent even cleared 12 million in 2009 cap space, yet we have lost 3 sure bet starters (neal, light, seymour) a top reserve (green), two important reserves (bruschi and woods)

True I did read it wrong. But doesn't this not matter cause you only have to be under the cap when you finish training camp and get down to 55 players? I'm pretty sure they could move Cassell by then.

Yep. getting rid of old, less productive, expensive starters and getting younger cheaper faster ones. That's definitely what the draft and free agency is all about.

I have my doubts that all these guys make it out of camp.

Also I think 3.3+1.4+2+3.8+2+1+.74 is about 14, right?

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Bruschi = 1.4
Jarvis Green = 2
Matt light = 3.8
Stephen neal = 2
Woods = 1
Thomas 74k.

True I did read it wrong. But doesn't this not matter cause you only have to be under the cap when you finish training camp and get down to 55 players? I'm pretty sure they could move Cassell by then.

Yep. getting rid of old, less productive, expensive starters and getting younger cheaper faster ones. That's definitely what the draft and free agency is all about.

I have my doubts that all these guys make it out of camp.

Also I think 3.3+1.4+2+3.8+2+1+.74 is about 14, right?

but in waiting you may miss out on fa's.  so its possible that in holding onto cassel in order to get a better draft would have led to fewer fa's they desired.

math: I guess I cant add in my head.

I doubt that we could find more productive players then most of those guys.

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 08:31:24 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
but I think you can go over the cap to sign anyone you want for any amount you want as long as you get under by the start of the seaosn, so if you trade him before the start you'd be back under.

I think we'll find several players more productive than these and cheaper in the draft. We did last year. Jerod Mayo is way better and more productive. And cheaper.

I'm not sure if we could get better FAs. I think we got a better TE in free agency. I'm a little curious to see what Al Johnson can do. I suppose Tully Banta Cain might be better than the LBs.

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 08:38:22 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
whoops wrong cassel

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 09:02:34 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
but I think you can go over the cap to sign anyone you want for any amount you want as long as you get under by the start of the seaosn, so if you trade him before the start you'd be back under.

I think we'll find several players more productive than these and cheaper in the draft. We did last year. Jerod Mayo is way better and more productive. And cheaper.

I'm not sure if we could get better FAs. I think we got a better TE in free agency. I'm a little curious to see what Al Johnson can do. I suppose Tully Banta Cain might be better than the LBs.

I guess we just differ on the skills of guys like Seymour, light, green, neal.  I dont think those guys are easily replaceable.

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I guess we just differ on the skills of guys like Seymour, light, green, neal.  I dont think those guys are easily replaceable.

Well I'm happy we don't need to get rid of them right now, but I'm not sure all these guys get out of camp.  I don't think Seymour was what he was. He's been hurt a lot and these guys aren't young pups anymore. Light and Seymour were like BB's first or second draft. And they get paid a lot. Neal is almost 30 and up for free agency next year. So is Mankins. I guarantee BB tries to address that and maybe Al Johnson is that. Green I also like, but he gets paid a lot like a starter, and I also guarantee that we pick up some good defensive players in this draft the same way we picked him up and he's no young pup either.

The only player on the list I kinda don't "like" is Light ever since he decided to make Justin Tuck look like an MVP in the Super Bowl. I thought I was watching Reggie White and Max Lane in the other Super Bowl. I think maybe they could move him to the right side.

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
With Donovan McNabb traded for a 2nd round pick, anyone want to revisit the idea that the Pats didn't get fair value (or better) in trading Matt Cassell?
Celtics fan for life.