Author Topic: No suspension for Smart; fined $35k  (Read 2285 times)

Re: No suspension for Smart; fined $35k
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 11:53:33 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
for me , yeah or most fans it would hurt .

So.....kinda tells you what the NBA thinks of wrongs.....not much

to make it hurt ,  maybe 125,000.00  for Smarts level

Curry , even more.

so the players are not hurt ,  and fans think 35 grand is a big deal......smoke n mirrors

He got off really good ...but i thought it was peanuts call anyway , give em a tech each and play ball . nothing compared to 70-80's ....this happened 10 times a game , and not much was said after a few mi utes , it was all forgotten,  unless there was blood and a fight like DA and Tree had....thats a fight !  ;D

Put aside the underlying point -- that society has changed and perhaps has become a little wimpier than you'd like -- I think that the Ron Artest in the stands incident stands out to me as the big game-changer.  The potential impact on the league when rage is triggered and not de-escalated became a different story after that incident. 

I don't think anyone was concerned about an all-out in the stands eruption when Bird and Dr. J went at it, when McHale clotheslined Rambis, when Tree bit Danny, or when Kermit punched Rudy.  After the Detroit incident, they had to clamp down on any risk of escalation, so they try to be proactive.  With that said, the Ref clearly escalated the incident unnecessarily -- and I think that the optics spoke for themselves.  Marcus looked pretty calm until the ref T'd him.  The NBA did not want to get into having to hold a mirror to the ref's role in this one. So they went light -- I guess.   

Agree, except in terms of the Kermit/Rudy incident. That and The Malice were big inflection points in how the NBA deals with fighting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008