Author Topic: Magic Johnson disses Pelicans FO: "they didn't act in good faith"  (Read 4559 times)

Re: Magic Johnson disses Pelicans FO: "they didn't act in good faith"
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 12:41:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What a hypocrite....

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 02:36:52 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He is right.. Those NO clowns should have bought out AD... Instead they are trying to force the Lakers to a  trade!! Unbelievable nerve!

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21:05 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Is being complicit in a media campaign to sabotage two franchises (New Orleans and Boston) “good faith”?

I really hope the NBA investigates if there was any collusion between Klutch Sports and anyone from the Lakers.  If the league finds any evidence, the Lakers should face serious consequences.

Minnesota was fined $3.5 million and 4 first round picks back in 2000 for their illegal contract with Joe Smith.  The Lakers should face a similar fine considering the impact it has had on two other organizations mid season.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
He is right.. Those NO clowns should have bought out AD... Instead they are trying to force the Lakers to a  trade!! Unbelievable nerve!

lol

Exactly.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 08:36:38 AM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think Magic is just butt hurt the Pelicans didn't take their best offer.

I mean the Lakers offered to take on bad contracts, all their prospects, expiring contracts, AND first round picks for ONE injury prone star.

I mean that's borderline suicide.

I don't know why the Pelicans DIDN'T take that deal wow.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
What exactly WAS the best offer?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. (Funny if true that they asked for six to eight draft picks as well)

The Lakers agreed to send their entire young core of Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and Ivica Zubac to the Pelicans, as well as veteran guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, the two people said.
The Lakers’ final offer did include two first-round draft picks, they said. Los Angeles also offered to give New Orleans the salary-cap relief it wanted by acquiring Solomon Hill, who has another year left on hiscontract after this season for $12.7 million.

Over the course of their talks, the Lakers made several changes to their proposals, one person said.

“They wanted more and more and more,” one person said. “There was no more to give. They had cap relief with Hill being in the deal. But the more they wanted, the more it became outrageous and unrealistic.”
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 10:08:08 AM by GreenShooter »

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 10:07:07 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
deletd

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
What exactly WAS the best offer?

Edit: Nevermind, found it. (Funny if true that they asked for six to eight draft picks as well)

The Lakers agreed to send their entire young core of Lonzo Ball, Kyle Kuzma, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and Ivica Zubac to the Pelicans, as well as veteran guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, the two people said.
The Lakers’ final offer did include two first-round draft picks, they said. Los Angeles also offered to give New Orleans the salary-cap relief it wanted by acquiring Solomon Hill, who has another year left on hiscontract after this season for $12.7 million.

Over the course of their talks, the Lakers made several changes to their proposals, one person said.

“They wanted more and more and more,” one person said. “There was no more to give. They had cap relief with Hill being in the deal. But the more they wanted, the more it became outrageous and unrealistic.”
The Lakers problem was one that every team has, they overrated their own players.  The simple reality is that they just didn't have any surefire All NBA level prospects and they had no good draft capital to throw in.  The Pelicans knew this and knew that in the summer they would have a chance at both of this things from other teams (i.e. Tatum and maybe Sacto/MEM and then the Knicks could be in play with their high lotto pick, Smith, Knox, etc.), which is why they asked for so many 1st round picks as they hoped by extending them out long enough that they might end up with a high pick or two.  I actually don't think that was an unreasonable ask by the Pelicans given they weren't getting any super high end young players.  I also don't think it was unreasonable for the Lakers to balk at giving up that much.  But that doesn't mean there is bad faith, it just means the Lakers don't have the means to acquire a top 5ish level player. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Is being complicit in a media campaign to sabotage two franchises (New Orleans and Boston) “good faith”?

I really hope the NBA investigates if there was any collusion between Klutch Sports and anyone from the Lakers.  If the league finds any evidence, the Lakers should face serious consequences.

Minnesota was fined $3.5 million and 4 first round picks back in 2000 for their illegal contract with Joe Smith.  The Lakers should face a similar fine considering the impact it has had on two other organizations mid season.

Here's the struggle. There probably is no collusion. James probably never talked to Rich Paul directly about it. Rich Paul probably never talked to Magic directly about it.

The problem is that everyone was definitely on the same page. Rich Paul acting in the interest of Lebron. Magic acting in the interest of Anthony Davis. Lebron making indirect comments to the media. Nothing needed to be said to one another, and in that sense, there was no tampering by the letter of the law. However, this sets a terrible precedent moving forward. Were any of them really following the spirit of the law? The spirit that outside organizations cannot tamper with players under contract? The spirit that contracts matter? The spirit that big market organizations may be able to recruit FAs easier, but they shouldn't have control over the landscape of the NBA?

In that sense, I think there should be some level of punishment. Stripping draft picks would mean very little. I think they should lower the Lakers' salary cap for 2-3 years. Nothing prohibitive, but enough to make it hurt a bit. Or they could strip the Lakers of their MLE and Biannual Exceptions for the next few years.

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He and Bron are just whining and putting out excuses to save their necks . 

Magic is TOO impatient,  he gave away Russell, bombed out on PG , Kawhi and all that.  He ran his mouth to Lake nation media how he was gonna have Lakers in finals in 3 years OR he 'd Leave !   

Bron Screwed up,big time ....he. d be looking at another ring had he signed at Philly , Bucks , Raps ...   Bron too greedy for money tho .

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Whiner and cry baby .

Bron and Camp of mobsters

They deserve are the turds that land in their lap.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
So Magic is dissing the people he will be negotiating with this summer.

That doesn't seem very smart.

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Where does this idea come from that HOF players make great coaches or GMs?  Just add Magic to Isaiah Thomas and Michael Jordan off the top of my head.

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Malika Andrews

Verified account

@malika_andrews
Follow Follow @malika_andrews
More
Bucks co-owner Marc Lasry has been fined 25K for his comments about Anthony Davis, league sources tell ESPN. The comments violated league tampering rules.

Here are his comments:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/did-bucks-owner-break-nba-tampering-rules-anthony-davis-comments

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2019, 03:05:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Where does this idea come from that HOF players make great coaches or GMs?  Just add Magic to Isaiah Thomas and Michael Jordan off the top of my head.
Larry Bird says hi.  Heck Bill Russell was so good he coached and played at the same time.  I'd like to argue all Celtics are great, but then you have McHale mucking things up. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip