Author Topic: Starbury interested in Boston? (From the Daily Dime)  (Read 14428 times)

Re: Starbury interested in Boston? (From the Daily Dime)
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2008, 01:01:42 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I bet a Lakers fan wrote this......

The article or the original post?!
If you mean the original post
please go see who wrote it and see
if that doesn't change how you feel.
Thanks!

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2008, 01:38:47 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Marbury to the Celtics? I think I'll just quote KG on this one. "Get that (bleep) outta here!"  ;D

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2008, 02:57:41 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
It looks like I'm in the minority on this one (lol) but i think the Cs could win another championship with a healthy and happy (big ifs) as a backup PG, assuming he gets bought out and signs for the vet minimum. 

I know this guy has had his troubles in NY, but I also know he loves basketball.  Most players get to a point in their careers and lives where winning a championship means more than anything else in the game (luckily the Cs had 15 of those guys on one team in one year). 

Marbury, who will have made a tidy $150 million after the buyout, certainly won't be motivated by money in his next NBA stop.  I think that the examples set by KG, Ray Allen, and even PJ Brown had to be noticed with envy by all the ringless vets looking at the last few years of their careers.

I think the Cs' locker room is strong enough to handle a strong personality and possible troublemaker like Marbury.  As long as the guy still loves basketball, would be willing to take on a complimentary role, and really wants a ring, it could work out.  Talent-wise, it's an brainer.  Despite diminishing productivity and effectiveness the past few seasons, a (properly motivated) Marbury at the minimum is a steal.

I remember the last two times the Cs acquired a legendary NYC point guard with a me first persona and questionable career.  The first was Tiny Archibald, who many thought was too selfish to be a Celtic.  He did OK here.  The second was Kenny Anderson, who acquitted himself quite well here too. 

Now, if Marbury isn't 100% committed to playing in a backup role, all bets are off.   

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 03:01:00 AM »

Offline celt4ever

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 2

Jason Williams and Stephon Marbury don't seem like people you'd want sitting on the bench most of the time. They seem like chemistry disrupters, not exactly stabilizers.

Jason Williams seemed fine for the chemistry when he was the starting point guard on a championship team.
But he wouldn't be starting for the Celtics, which would mean he could cause problems if he isn't being given "starters" or even "second unit" minutes. I'd much rather have a wily veteran like Lindsey Hunter in that role. Not to say I want a Piston, but that kind of player is what we should be looking for
heyyyyyyyy i like to have a backup pt like hunter he is the perfect one for rondo, i prefer house at the point than marburry

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 06:17:26 AM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
i wouldnt want steph here.
but regardless of us arguing if he should come here.
i don't think steph would accept the going from 20 mil a yr, to taking the vets min, and being a second unit player.
there is no way he would do this, too degrading to him.
so im not really worried of this rumor actually happening

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2008, 08:12:16 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
no offense to Marbury's game,  but he's not a risk worth taking in my mind.  It's funny, I actually play in his starbury shoes and think that its great he wanted to do something that would be priced affordably for people, even tho they're obviously low quality. Ben Wallace is on board for those as well, which is ironic cause those two are the last players I would want on this team.

Some Starbury!!!!
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2008, 11:52:09 AM »

Offline BdaBostonBum

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 5
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07082008/sports/knicks/steph_making_his_point_118998.htm

His friends say Marbury isn't worried about future employment if released. The Celtics would be on his radar, considering they need point-guard help and former teammate Kevin Garnett respects his game more than anyone.

Really, I can't think of anyone who encaptures Ubuntu better. If we lose Pose at least we can bring in someone with Posey's mental toughness and great D. I'm sure the Cs will jump on the chance to sign a player who shoots more bad shots than Sam Cassel and is absolutely insane. I just hope there's no bidding war.

Re: Some Starbury!!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The Celtics may be on his radar, but he isn't on the Celtics.  I'd bet just about anything on that.

The "point guard help" the Celtics need is somebody to contribute 15 minutes or so off the bench.  That's not Starbury.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Some Starbury!!!!
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I'm sure the Cs will jump on the chance to sign a player who shoots more bad shots than Sam Cassel and is absolutely insane.

and is absolutely insane, that made me laugh - nice work
When you love life, life loves you right back