Author Topic: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season  (Read 46083 times)

NFL 2023-24 Off-Season
« on: January 18, 2024, 08:48:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Use this thread for all things related to the off-season, including free agency and pre-draft discussion.  Closer to the draft we'll get a "game thread" up to discuss.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 08:52:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
While fans nitpick Caleb Williams, scouts seem to be all in:

And while skepticism remains to some, ESPN's Pete Thamel reports scouts don't see it that way.

"The debate surrounding Williams in scouting circles isn't whether he's the No. 1 pick in the draft, but rather whether he is a once-a-decade type prospect or a generational one," Thamel wrote.

"'I'd be shocked if he wasn't [the No. 1 pick],' one veteran scout said. Another added: 'He's the best player at the most important position,'" Thamel reported from the scouts.

Williams showed a lot of his off-script, elite improvisational skills this season. But there were several head-scratching performances Williams had this season that turned spectators the wrong way.

In particular, his performances against Notre Dame (199 yards, 1 touchdown, 3 interceptions), Utah (256 yards, 0 touchdowns) and Oregon (291 yards, 1 touchdown) were bewildering.

But still, scouts aren't convinced Williams' talent isn't the best in the class. If anything, they'd be ecstatic if other scouts weighed his 2023 season heavily against him. Scouts appear to be starved for Caleb Williams, according to Thamel's report.

The Bears are the only team, as of this writing, who have the outright chance of drafting him. They own the No. 1 pick in the draft. But, they're fighting an internal battle. Should they draft Williams or keep Justin Fields?

The predominant thinking around the league appears to be centered around the Bears drafting Williams.

"I don’t know what he’ll [Ryan Poles] do, but I can tell you what other NFL teams believe he’ll do: trade Justin Fields and draft a quarterback at No. 1. This is as much a financial decision as it is a football decision," Dane Brugler wrote.

“I just think he’s a rare, rare talent and I can’t see the Chicago Bears bypassing that,” NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said about Williams.

“He’s got an unbelievable amount of horsepower in terms of how he can generate velocity with arm, what he can do with the force with his legs, the creativity we all know about. I just think every quarterback has some risk. Do I wish he played on time a bit more? Sure. But I think (Patrick) Mahomes is the greatest example of that. You can kind of corral that without taking away the magic.”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 09:09:55 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
While fans nitpick Caleb Williams, scouts seem to be all in:

And while skepticism remains to some, ESPN's Pete Thamel reports scouts don't see it that way.

"The debate surrounding Williams in scouting circles isn't whether he's the No. 1 pick in the draft, but rather whether he is a once-a-decade type prospect or a generational one," Thamel wrote.

"'I'd be shocked if he wasn't [the No. 1 pick],' one veteran scout said. Another added: 'He's the best player at the most important position,'" Thamel reported from the scouts.

Williams showed a lot of his off-script, elite improvisational skills this season. But there were several head-scratching performances Williams had this season that turned spectators the wrong way.

In particular, his performances against Notre Dame (199 yards, 1 touchdown, 3 interceptions), Utah (256 yards, 0 touchdowns) and Oregon (291 yards, 1 touchdown) were bewildering.

But still, scouts aren't convinced Williams' talent isn't the best in the class. If anything, they'd be ecstatic if other scouts weighed his 2023 season heavily against him. Scouts appear to be starved for Caleb Williams, according to Thamel's report.

The Bears are the only team, as of this writing, who have the outright chance of drafting him. They own the No. 1 pick in the draft. But, they're fighting an internal battle. Should they draft Williams or keep Justin Fields?

The predominant thinking around the league appears to be centered around the Bears drafting Williams.

"I don’t know what he’ll [Ryan Poles] do, but I can tell you what other NFL teams believe he’ll do: trade Justin Fields and draft a quarterback at No. 1. This is as much a financial decision as it is a football decision," Dane Brugler wrote.

“I just think he’s a rare, rare talent and I can’t see the Chicago Bears bypassing that,” NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said about Williams.

“He’s got an unbelievable amount of horsepower in terms of how he can generate velocity with arm, what he can do with the force with his legs, the creativity we all know about. I just think every quarterback has some risk. Do I wish he played on time a bit more? Sure. But I think (Patrick) Mahomes is the greatest example of that. You can kind of corral that without taking away the magic.”

The financial part is a good point.  Fields will be looking for big money a couple of years sooner.  If you draft Williams, you kind of reset the clock on that.  You have maybe a better QB on a rookie deal for a couple of extra years.  The Bears already have a stockpile of extra picks from the Carolina trade.  This article convinced me, the Bears should pick Williams and trade Fields.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 11:52:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think it would be interesting if the Bears traded back to 2 and took Maye.  Cash in with an extra 1st and still take a QB.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 08:40:08 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I was just looking through the 2024 free agents. I'm a little underwhelmed at OT and WR options. The Patriots have a lot of money to spend. Guys that I think they should target.

Defense:
Brian Burns, Panthers   or
Josh Allen, Jaguars
Kyle Dugger, Patriots

Offense:
Mike Onwenu, Patriots
Hunter Henry, Patriots
Gabe Davis, Bills
Jacoby Brissett, Commanders   or
Gardner Minshew, Colts

Draft:

-Trade 3 to Atlanta at 8 (they pick Jayden Daniels), Patriots pick the best left tackle (Olu or Alt)
-Keep moving around the board to select three premier WR (!!!) and a running back.

This approach could yield Joe Alt, Keon Coleman, Tez Walker and Ladd McConkey. They miss out on one of the top 3 quarterbacks, but the rest of the offense begins to develop.

Alternatively, they could draft Jayden Daniels, but he looks awfully skinny behind this offensive line.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 09:52:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler reports that Mike Onwenu isn’t likely to return. Onwenu just wrapped up the final season of his four-year rookie deal.

“Many teams view Onwenu as the top offensive lineman in free agency because of his physicality, quickness, and ability to play guard or tackle,” Fowler wrote. “The Patriots essentially know Onwenu isn’t coming back, and he will have high bidders.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 03:34:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Raiders are working to finalize a deal to hire Antonio Pierce as their head coach, per sources.

Raiders made Pierce their interim HC on Halloween night and now are closing in on making it a full-time job. Players who campaigned for Pierce soon are expected to be happy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 03:52:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Raiders are working to finalize a deal to hire Antonio Pierce as their head coach, per sources.

Raiders made Pierce their interim HC on Halloween night and now are closing in on making it a full-time job. Players who campaigned for Pierce soon are expected to be happy.
Hey they did something right.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 03:53:12 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Think a lot of Raiders players wanted him back, if not, players would revoke
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 07:55:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Think a lot of Raiders players wanted him back, if not, players would revoke
Biascci (sic) should still be their coach. Should have dropped the interim tag on him and never gone to McDaniels

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2024, 12:02:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Kiper just dropped a mock draft.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39358096/2024-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-first-round-predictions-32-picks-qb-fits

He had Daniels going 2 leaving Maye for the Pats at 3.  McCarthy went 16 as the only QB outside the 3 at the top.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2024, 03:22:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Brian Callahan to Tennessee.  One job off the market.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2024, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yikes

Yahoo Sports

@YahooSports
Former LSU football player Kayshon Boutte has been arrested on charges related to illegal online gaming, per
@WAFB

Boutte is accused of illegally gambling while a minor and placed thousands of bets (some on LSU football). The wagers and payouts amount to “several hundred thousand dollars."

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 07:00:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Falcons hired a defensive coach and it wasn't Bill. Weird

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 07:05:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Yikes

Yahoo Sports

@YahooSports
Former LSU football player Kayshon Boutte has been arrested on charges related to illegal online gaming, per
@WAFB

Boutte is accused of illegally gambling while a minor and placed thousands of bets (some on LSU football). The wagers and payouts amount to “several hundred thousand dollars."

And he can’t get two feet in bounds.