Author Topic: NFL 2023 Season  (Read 115399 times)

Re: NFL 2023 Season
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2023, 09:44:22 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2023, 12:56:51 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Jared Goff is undefeated against Mahomes. My goodness. Lions went in and played spoilers on KC's home opener...love it.

Maybe Goff is to Mahomes as Eli was to Brady  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2023, 12:57:34 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
What an idiot.  One of the dumbest talking heads on TV.

https://awfulannouncing.com/fox/nick-wright-fs1-first-things-first-chiefs-hot-take.html

His show only gets ratings from the TVs that play in bars or gyms that just leave all the channels on. I doubt people actually watch that show tbh lol. Maybe clips from it on YouTube but that's it.

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2023, 01:04:09 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Chiefs will still win the division and be fine in the long run, BUT my gut feeling is they'll be a team with a bit of a SB hangover and they could fade a bit this season sort of like how Buffalo did last year. If people remember, BUF was seen as the "team to beat" in 2022 and it was "their year" with a majority of bets and predictions having them in the SB and winning it. They started well but then sort of faded, and some of it was also due to injuries including to Allen, but still.

Chris Jones is going to be a tough loss for them for a while. Even last night, while I know DET's O-Line is fantastic, the Chiefs really couldn't get to Goff nor could they stop the run in the 2nd half. The Chiefs won the Bengals game last year in the AFCCG primarily due to Jones wreaking havoc and getting to Burrow at crucial times. Everyone obviously talks Mahomes/Kelce but Jones on the defensive side is also massive for that team.

This feels like that kind of year where there's a lot of excuse making for Mahomes and we talk a lot about the lack of talent around him (Kelce might not be 100% for a while too). And that could hurt them. Brady and the Pats had a few of those kinds of years too.

Also if you're an opposing team, idk how the gameplan isn't "double Kelce and force these other bums to beat you". Toney probably won't drop all those passes again BUT Detroit's passing defense is actually one of the worst ones KC will face this season, so it might become more difficult for all their TEs/WRs not named Kelce going forward

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2023, 02:14:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Chiefs have had the luxury of hosting the last 5 AFC Title games with mixed results.  Home field advantage in the AFC is going to loom large.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is finally the year that Mahomes has to play a road playoff game or two. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2023, 10:14:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Chiefs will still win the division and be fine in the long run, BUT my gut feeling is they'll be a team with a bit of a SB hangover and they could fade a bit this season sort of like how Buffalo did last year. If people remember, BUF was seen as the "team to beat" in 2022 and it was "their year" with a majority of bets and predictions having them in the SB and winning it. They started well but then sort of faded, and some of it was also due to injuries including to Allen, but still.

Chris Jones is going to be a tough loss for them for a while. Even last night, while I know DET's O-Line is fantastic, the Chiefs really couldn't get to Goff nor could they stop the run in the 2nd half. The Chiefs won the Bengals game last year in the AFCCG primarily due to Jones wreaking havoc and getting to Burrow at crucial times. Everyone obviously talks Mahomes/Kelce but Jones on the defensive side is also massive for that team.

This feels like that kind of year where there's a lot of excuse making for Mahomes and we talk a lot about the lack of talent around him (Kelce might not be 100% for a while too). And that could hurt them. Brady and the Pats had a few of those kinds of years too.

Also if you're an opposing team, idk how the gameplan isn't "double Kelce and force these other bums to beat you". Toney probably won't drop all those passes again BUT Detroit's passing defense is actually one of the worst ones KC will face this season, so it might become more difficult for all their TEs/WRs not named Kelce going forward

This could be one of those Pats 2009, 2013 and 2019 years for the Chiefs. Mahomes leading the offense but no other offensive weapons that could spark them. Hm, if the Pats D is as good as they're advertised to be, they could pull an upset in Foxboro when Mahomes come to town.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2023, 06:31:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If Kelce was out there, I think the Chiefs win that game comfortably.  They had so many drops and no one Mahomes could rely on in the passing game.  Without Kelce they are one of the worst catching units in the sport (if not the worst).  Kelce makes such a difference for them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2023, 11:12:46 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the "emergency 3rd QB rule".

Because seeing the Pats making all these transactions involving Zappe and Corral have me confused. It looks like Belichick found a loophole in the rule and was trying to exploit it, but the league shut it down saying that the 3rd QB has to be on the active roster.

But doesn't that literally defeat the whole purpose of the emergency rule??? Like yeah, if teams had 3 QBs on their roster it'd be fine and the 3rd QB comes in when the other two go down, but some teams don't carry 3 QBs so they'll only have two for gameday anyways. I don't get it's significance anymore then as an "emergency rule".

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Because seeing the Pats making all these transactions involving Zappe and Corral have me confused. It looks like Belichick found a loophole in the rule and was trying to exploit it, but the league shut it down saying that the 3rd QB has to be on the active roster.

But doesn't that literally defeat the whole purpose of the emergency rule??? Like yeah, if teams had 3 QBs on their roster it'd be fine and the 3rd QB comes in when the other two go down, but some teams don't carry 3 QBs so they'll only have two for gameday anyways. I don't get it's significance anymore then as an "emergency rule".

Not everyone on the 53-man active roster dresses for game day, only 48 of them do. The new rule allows you to keep your 2 QBs and 46 other players on the game day roster, while your Emergency 3rd QB stays off the game day roster. Every week you can use 2 of the 48 game day slots on practice squad players without adding them to the 53-man roster (just to the 48-man roster)

Belichick wanted to keep Zappe on the practice squad (not the 53-man active roster), and then add him to the game day roster as a second QB. Corral would have stayed on the 53-man active roster, but stayed off the game-day roster and been designated as the emergency QB. So we would basically get 3 QBs while only using 2 spots on the 53-man roster, which the NFL didn't like. I guess they want the rule to almost never be used (basically only when teams have 3 QBs anyway, likely for development reasons, or maybe if you have a QB that's injured but on the active roster and you could bring him in in an emergency. But the rule probably will only come in to play once every year or two)

Of course, each practice squad player can only be called up to the game day roster 3 times during the season, so it only would have matter for 3 weeks (or 6 if we then put Corral on the practice squad and added Zappe to the active roster). It's dumb that the NFL didn't have the rule fully fleshed out until after rosters were cut down, but it's not like Belichick's moves we're gonna have some huge impact.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2023, 11:35:51 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Not everyone on the 53-man active roster dresses for game day, only 48 of them do. The new rule allows you to keep your 2 QBs and 46 other players on the game day roster, while your Emergency 3rd QB stays off the game day roster. Every week you can use 2 of the 48 game day slots on practice squad players without adding them to the 53-man roster (just to the 48-man roster)

Belichick wanted to keep Zappe on the practice squad (not the 53-man active roster), and then add him to the game day roster as a second QB. Corral would have stayed on the 53-man active roster, but stayed off the game-day roster and been designated as the emergency QB. So we would basically get 3 QBs while only using 2 spots on the 53-man roster, which the NFL didn't like. I guess they want the rule to almost never be used (basically only when teams have 3 QBs anyway, likely for development reasons)

Of course, each practice squad player can only be called up to the game day roster 3 times during the season, so it only would have matter for 3 weeks (or 6 if we then put Corral on the practice squad and added Zappe to the active roster). It's dumb that the NFL didn't have the rule fully fleshed out until after rosters were cut down, but it's not like Belichick's moves we're gonna have some huge impact.

TP, thanks so much! This makes things a lot more clearer  :)

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2023, 11:38:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I mean it seems obvious the intent was to have the 3rd QB be on the active roster. It was only because BeliCheat was in full force and effect that clarity was even needed.  Mister straddle the line strikes again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2023, 01:55:12 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I know the season technically already opened up this past Thursday, but watching the first set of NFL games on Sunday for the first time this season has me feeling:

(until the Pats probably lose later today lol)

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2023, 02:51:00 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Baker Mayfield throwing darts already in his first game donning a Bucs jersey.

Mayfield to Evans for TD, 10-10 half.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2023, 03:56:57 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Wow, the Bengals benched Burrow.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2023, 03:59:19 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow, the Bengals benched Burrow.

Great way to play after signing that huge extension, LOL.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis