Author Topic: Celtic's Memories  (Read 3169 times)

Re: Celtic's Memories
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 02:57:13 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Speaking of 1981, I vividly remember watching that entire Philly series where they came back from a 3-1 deficit. Every game was close but for one. Games 5, 6 and 7 we're slugfests...each decided by a bucket in the last seconds of the game. Bird, McHale, Parish, Tiny, Cornbread, Chris Ford vs Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney, the Jones boys. Man those Celtic-Sixer playoff games in the 80's were special.

I lived in Everett, which is about as close to the Garden as you can get without living in Boston proper, and when the C's beat Houston for the title, it sounded like every car in the city started honking their horns, screaming out the car windows. Kids in the park next to where I was watching the game went wild. Bird and those Celtics cemented themselves as the most popular team in Boston sports for the first time ever during those two series.

I skipped school and went to the celebration on City Hall Plaza along with every other high school male anywhere close to the city. It was truly awesome.
I loved those sixers series.
In 82 when we blew them out in Game 1. Remember Charles Bradley, the dunk machine? He got in late in game 1 and had a monster dunk.
Not the best outcome as Toney roeched us in game 7.
Wow, Charles Bradley. There's a name I haven't heard in years. He was like Bill Fitch's version of the Auerbach cigar. Put him in late in games and feed him on fast breaks for amazing dunks because he could literally do nothing else good, or even average. 

TP4U
Perfect description TP back at you.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 05:31:38 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Thanks everyone.

I think with the exception of footey's 60's games I have some memory of all them.

Since cable in 1980? I think I've watched 70+ games a season. Probably got to see more in person than my fair share.
From when I was a kid, with my stepdad, to my wife today, its must watch TV.
An awful lot of joy, and some pain. Its an interesting dynamic, I root for many ex-celtics, just not tonight against us.
Gee, what is us?

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 07:15:59 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Speaking of 1981, I vividly remember watching that entire Philly series where they came back from a 3-1 deficit. Every game was close but for one. Games 5, 6 and 7 we're slugfests...each decided by a bucket in the last seconds of the game. Bird, McHale, Parish, Tiny, Cornbread, Chris Ford vs Dr J, Darryl Dawkins, Mo Cheeks, Andrew Toney. Man those Celtic-Sixer playoff games in the 80's were special.

I lived in Everett, which is about as close to the Garden as you can get without living in Boston proper, and when the C's beat Houston for the title, it sounded like every car in the city started honking their horns, screaming out the car windows. Kids in the park next to where I was watching the game went wild. Bird and those Celtics cemented themselves as the most popular team in Boston sports for the first time ever during those two series.

I skipped school and went to the celebration on City Hall Plaza along with every other high school male anywhere close to the city. It was truly awesome.

I was at the Plaza celebration too, Nick. Took a break from my job at ECA in Cambridge to enjoy. 

Wasn't that you standing next to me, LOL??
Lol...I think I was standing next to everyone that day, at one point or another. Me and my buddies walked up from North Station(back when the Green line was above ground, remember that) and had to bully threw thousands just to get a decent central location along the Cambridge street sidewalk on the plaza side. Could not get any closer. Ended up walking home through Charlestown because the T was such a mess. Good times.

TP4U

Right back atcha.