Author Topic: I bought Celtic tix as Xmas presents and I am mad  (Read 1517 times)

I bought Celtic tix as Xmas presents and I am mad
« on: December 29, 2021, 04:04:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This year I did my Xmas shopping early, like last week of October to first week in November and I bought each of my sons Celtics tickets. My sons live in the Providence, Tampa and New Orleans areas, so I bought the following tickets:

New York vs Boston 1/8/22
Boston @ New Orleans 1/29/22
Boston @ Orlando 2/6/22

But, since my purchases that I spent $300 per pair of tickets, COVID has gone nuts and teams are now fielding G-League quality clubs as not only their regular players are hitting protocols, but even the guys they are signing for 10 days are hitting protocols. The quality of play across the league has deteriorated dramatically.

I am now stuck hoping the players on these teams can stay healthy from and avoid like crazy people that have Covid in hopes my boys will see high quality NBA basketball watching their favorite team.

It's p!ssing me off that the NBA has decided to sign emergency players, who don't deserve to be near an NBA roster, to play games that count in the standings. And they are providing these games at the same cost as completely healthy teams.

It's corporate capitalist greed at it's very best and I find it disgusting. If I buy a ticket and my team is missing a star, or the opponent is missing a huge star, well, that stuff happens. But that's not what this is. It's mostly end of bench guys and G-Leaguers or worst playing against mostly end of bench guys and G-Leaguers or worst for the hefty price of an NBA game

I find the decision of the NBA to play this way rather than shutting the league down for a short while, like the NHL did, pathetic and disgusting and a genuine disservice to their customer base.

I can only hope that COVID has receded by the time these games come about and my presents to my children will be exciting NBA action starring a healthy Celtics team vs a fully healthy opponent that will be losing to our beloved team

Re: I bought Celtic tix as Xmas presents and I am mad
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 04:17:21 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
That stinks for sure. I was way more hesitant and haven't spent more than $20/ticket on any games I've been to (or am going to). I'm local to Orlando, but also get down to Miami for games.

Funny enough, I'm actually going to that NO game. Roundtrip flight was only $46/person and the tickets were cheap. Haven't been there in years after sitting in a jail cell for 24 hours on Mardi Gras only to be let go with no charges. You haven't been to jail until you've been in a New Orleans jail.

Hopefully it works its way through the league and they can get back to mostly normal soon enough. That Minny game - especially for Minny - was an abomination.

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Corporate greed?  Its called running a business and many lower/middle class people depend on these games to make a living.  What should they do in the meantime?  How is it compassionate to disrupt their livelihood for a better product? 

Yeah it sucks.  I bought tix for the Twolves game for my kids and 5 of top 6 guys were out.  These protocols are overly restrictive.  If you dont test positive you should play.  Covid isnt going away anytime soon and just need to deal with it until its is mitigated. 

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 04:37:25 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
And this is why I didn’t buy tickets to any games this season. First year in 15 seasons that I have not gone to a game and it sucks. Just not interested in paying $300 for a couple of decent seats, with a strong possibility of players missing time due to Covid. Also not super comfortable being at the TD Garden with nearly 20k other people and having to wear a mask the whole time.

I’m a huge NBA fan and I haven’t watched any games other than the C’s in almost a month. So many teams are missing their best players, It’s just terrible to watch.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 04:39:44 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
While I understand your complaint in general, I think you should probably find that the games aren't terribly disrupted, albeit more due to luck than anything else.  The Celtics should be near full strength for the Knicks game, as should the Knicks (they're more likely to be down guys due to injury than Covid).  Likewise they should be good for New Orleans and Orlando.  As for their opponents in those two later games, the Pelicans seem to be starting to hit their Covid spike, which should also make them mostly clear of this by January, and the Magic have also had at least half their roster infected in the past few weeks, so I'd expect the same for them.  The latter two games are near the trade deadline, so someone might be held out for those reasons, but your kids should get to see full Celtics teams against reasonably full opponents, barring the usual injuries.

It sucks for the people who had tickets to games in December (although honestly, I think the real issue with playing the games was that we shouldn't have been encouraging 10-20k people into arenas this past month), but because this spiked so rapidly, the other side of the spike should be pretty smooth sailing for the rest of the season, with an occasional guy out here and there, but not the utter decimation of teams.

I'd also note that, at least in case of the Celtics, the emergency players have barely seen the court.  The Celtics have signed 5 such players, only 3 of them have played, and none for more than 2 minutes (and it was a fun story for a night when Joe Johnson got his two minutes).  I've seen a bit more Juancho Hernandez than I'd have liked to in December, but he's not a replacement player (this year).

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 04:45:15 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Corporate greed?  Its called running a business and many lower/middle class people depend on these games to make a living.  What should they do in the meantime?  How is it compassionate to disrupt their livelihood for a better product? 

Yeah it sucks.  I bought tix for the Twolves game for my kids and 5 of top 6 guys were out.  These protocols are overly restrictive. If you dont test positive you should play.  Covid isnt going away anytime soon and just need to deal with it until its is mitigated.

With very limited exception, players aren't put into protocols without a positive test.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I came to this thread thinking the OP was mad about the poor play.   :angel:

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 05:25:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I feel for you.

Me personally, I’ve held off on tickets because the team sucks.  I bought my wife tickets to Wicked instead.

And, since we stink and aren’t winning a title, I’ve enjoyed seeing guys like Joe Johnson, IT, Greg Monroe, Darren Collison, etc., etc. get back in the league.

But, it definitely hampers the quality of product.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
NHL probably felt more pressure to shut down given the significant amount of cross border travel, which really would have been impossible to navigate.

But sorry for you, Nick. That really stinks.  I attended one Celtic game this year, the double OT loss vs the Wizards with my daughter.  I won't buy tickets anymore, and while I will continue to watch them, I no longer have the same anticipation before tip off. 

This team is just not any fun.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 07:05:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This year I did my Xmas shopping early, like last week of October to first week in November and I bought each of my sons Celtics tickets. My sons live in the Providence, Tampa and New Orleans areas, so I bought the following tickets:

New York vs Boston 1/8/22
Boston @ New Orleans 1/29/22
Boston @ Orlando 2/6/22

But, since my purchases that I spent $300 per pair of tickets, COVID has gone nuts and teams are now fielding G-League quality clubs as not only their regular players are hitting protocols, but even the guys they are signing for 10 days are hitting protocols. The quality of play across the league has deteriorated dramatically.

I am now stuck hoping the players on these teams can stay healthy from and avoid like crazy people that have Covid in hopes my boys will see high quality NBA basketball watching their favorite team.

It's p!ssing me off that the NBA has decided to sign emergency players, who don't deserve to be near an NBA roster, to play games that count in the standings. And they are providing these games at the same cost as completely healthy teams.

It's corporate capitalist greed at it's very best and I find it disgusting. If I buy a ticket and my team is missing a star, or the opponent is missing a huge star, well, that stuff happens. But that's not what this is. It's mostly end of bench guys and G-Leaguers or worst playing against mostly end of bench guys and G-Leaguers or worst for the hefty price of an NBA game

I find the decision of the NBA to play this way rather than shutting the league down for a short while, like the NHL did, pathetic and disgusting and a genuine disservice to their customer base.

I can only hope that COVID has receded by the time these games come about and my presents to my children will be exciting NBA action starring a healthy Celtics team vs a fully healthy opponent that will be losing to our beloved team

Nick first of off, really to sorry to hear this. Definitely understand your frustration I am been saying the integrity of the standings and games have generally become half meaningless when you randomly have g league standings. On the plus side, I do actually think we have a good chance of there being less cases by the times these games are. with the 5 day limits now. At least I hope so. If there are 6 weeks of the season played like this the standings really become absolutely meaningless.

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2021, 07:08:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
At the time I bought the tickets, Omicron hadn't been discovered and COVID hadn't re-exploded onto the sporting world. If Boston stunk, so be it, my boys and I have suffered through going to see bad Celtic teams before. You just hope for a great game, win or lose.

But I feel like the league is doing a huge disservice to ticket holders that are paying premium prices to watch bargain basements players and teams. The NHL refused to do this. It's hard to do in the NFL because of the nature of the game and because non-Covid injuries that can devastate teams happens on the regular in football. But the NBA seem hellbent on not cancelling games during these times, and I think that decision sucks.

This will turn into just another asterisk season, IMHO. The 3rd in a row.

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2021, 09:31:31 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
At the time I bought the tickets, Omicron hadn't been discovered and COVID hadn't re-exploded onto the sporting world. If Boston stunk, so be it, my boys and I have suffered through going to see bad Celtic teams before. You just hope for a great game, win or lose.

But I feel like the league is doing a huge disservice to ticket holders that are paying premium prices to watch bargain basements players and teams. The NHL refused to do this. It's hard to do in the NFL because of the nature of the game and because non-Covid injuries that can devastate teams happens on the regular in football. But the NBA seem hellbent on not cancelling games during these times, and I think that decision sucks.

This will turn into just another asterisk season, IMHO. The 3rd in a row.

Would it be less of an asterisk if they paused for a month?  Would they cancel games?  Make them up so there are a ton of 3 games in 4 nights situations that leads to players taking off for injury maintenance?  The NHL could take a quick pause because they had built in some time to the schedule for the Olympics, which they’ve decided not to send players to.  The NBA didn’t have that calendar flexibility.

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2021, 08:35:55 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Lol imagine having season tickets like I do.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2021, 09:44:40 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't blame you one bit.  You have every right to be upset about the scam that's going on.  State AG's need to investigate this bait and switch. 

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 10:10:42 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don’t promote bad products , sports , music , what ever .  NBA is awful right now .

I rather turn else where than waste time , emotion and money on such a dismal product.