Author Topic: How much deeper has the east gotten the last few seasons?  (Read 4395 times)

Re: How much deeper has the east gotten the last few seasons?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 09:03:28 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Use to be the West was dominant for a long time.. now I think East may be getting there
Top tier:
Milwaukee
Brooklyn
Miami
Boston
Atlanta
Philadelphia

2nd tier:
New York
Indy
Washington
Toronto
Charlotte
Chicago

3rd tier:
Detroit
Orlando
Cleveland

West
1st tier:
Lakers
Phoenix
Golden State
Portland
Denver
Utah

2nd tier:
Clippers-no Kawhi
Dallas
Memphis

3rd tier:
Sacramento
Minnesota
San Antonio
OKC
New Orleans
Houston
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Use to be the West was dominant for a long time.. now I think East may be getting there
Top tier:
Milwaukee
Brooklyn
Miami
Boston
Atlanta
Philadelphia

2nd tier:
New York
Indy
Washington
Toronto
Charlotte
Chicago

3rd tier:
Detroit
Orlando
Cleveland

West
1st tier:
Lakers
Phoenix
Golden State
Portland
Denver
Utah

2nd tier:
Clippers-no Kawhi
Dallas
Memphis

3rd tier:
Sacramento
Minnesota
San Antonio
OKC
New Orleans
Houston

Yep. Only three teams projected to get less than 34 wins based on preseason win totals.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ah yes, the good old over/under preseason futures.  Because those are always accurate.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 08:55:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ah yes, the good old over/under preseason futures.  Because those are always accurate.

I’m not sure if you are just trying to be a general jerk here or what. That is the only data we have available right now. There are only three teams that I really don’t see making a serious effort to make the playoffs in Cleveland, Detroit and magic. The other teams like hornets (hayward), bulls (vucevic and derozen) and wizards (dinwiddie, keeping beal) and Knicks (randle’s development, signing Fournier and getting Kemba have all made moves to try and get in or stay in the playoff mix this year. The nets have obviously added harden and irving and kd the last three couple seasons. The hawks have obviously improved a ton. Big picture It’s the smallest concrete amount of total rebuilds/tanking we have had going on in the East. That is what it means to be deep. That there are less horrible teams. It has very little to do with how good the top 2 teams are or how many all nba players there are in the conference. If you honestly don’t think there are a few more competitive teams in the East than there were a few years ago, we can revisit at the end of the season. If the East doesn’t bank more wins than they did a few years ago I’ll proudly admit I was wrong on this.

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 08:07:01 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The East has definitely gotten deeper - so deep that we might be a play-in/lottery team if we don't come out firing with our new coach (I do agree with the general notion here that our team is top 4-6 on paper though).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2021, 08:57:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The East has definitely gotten deeper - so deep that we might be a play-in/lottery team if we don't come out firing with our new coach (I do agree with the general notion here that our team is top 4-6 on paper though).
In the 18-19 season, 9th and 10th in the East each won 39 games.  I'd be pretty surprised if both 9 and 10 this season have 39 or more wins (that doesn't happen very often for either conference). 

Now there is certainly a decent chance that there will be more than three 50 win teams which was all there was in 19 with only the Bucks (60), Raptors (58), and Sixers (51) winning at least 50 that season.  The C's won 49 and the Pacers 48 as the 4th and 5th seeds.  And there is also a pretty good chance there won't be two teams winning the teens like there was in 19 as that doesn't happen that often either.  But I just don't think there is a much difference between a 19 win team and a 24 win team.  They are both awful.  Same for a 30 win team and a 35 win team, both bad.  etc. 

There are only 2 teams in the East that could realistically make the Finals (Bucks, Nets - Sixers possibly if they get good value for Simmons), while out West there are 6 (Lakers, Suns, Nuggets, Jazz, Warriors, and Clippers with Kawhi - and that doesn't even account for Doncic's Mavs).  So when you are talking about path to the finals and the depth of the conference, I just don't think the East is really any deeper when compared to the West when looking at year to year.  The two best teams in the sport are in the East, but you'd take 3-15 from the West in a head to head like basically every time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2021, 09:31:03 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • International Superstar
On the Schefter- Wittgenstein Scale of Depth, I'd say the East is comfortably hovering around Malcolm Gladwell. Not particularly deep, but could easily be mistaken for being so. if you don't look too closely.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.