Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 29221 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2021, 08:08:22 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
ESPN: Boston Celtics: B

"... [because of other roster additions there was] little room for Dunn -- or Edwards, a holdover on the roster -- to earn regular minutes. As a result, sending both of them out for a forward who can hypothetically provide floor spacing made sense for the Celtics."

"It's important to note that Hernangomez's stretch ability hasn't really shown up much in practice since he made 41% of his 3-point attempts as a rookie."

"Hernangomez's 2022-23 salary is entirely non-guaranteed through the day before free agency. So the Celtics aren't taking on additional long-term salary with this deal and could pay Hernangomez less than Dunn and Edwards if he fails to reach the performance incentives."

"A 2-for-1 trade opens up a roster spot for Parker, who otherwise would have had to beat out a player with a guaranteed contract to make the team. However, Parker fills a similar role to that of Hernangomez, and Boston might now prefer to add a guard or keep the 15th roster spot open for midseason deals."

===

IOW is a low-cost move to shore up the PF and provide more flexibility. MEM got a C. They now have 18 players under contract after buying out Rondo earlier this week.

He shot 42% from 3pt in the 2019-2020 season... so the year before last. Hopefully he can back to that.

That was just for the 14 games after he was traded.  He shot 34% for the year.

« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2021, 09:22:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
After this trade, I feel we have achieved great roster balance for the first time in very long time. Very satisfied with our roster today.

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2021, 09:40:44 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like it.  Hernangomez is a nice stretch 4 off the bench.  That really addresses adding more shooting to the lineup.

We didn't need Dunn with Schroeder signed.  Brad is making MONEY moves this offseason!  I like it!  :)

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2021, 09:50:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
At minimum we got rid of Carson Edwards so it’s an automatic win for me. Getting a legit PF for two useless players is also an automatic win. On top of it we preserved next year’s salary flexibility.

Bingo ….. ;D

« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2021, 09:52:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
After this trade, I feel we have achieved great roster balance for the first time in very long time. Very satisfied with our roster today.

Agree ..
….   Danny seemed to have a stranglehold on everything ,   Coachs opinions be dipped .

Bit of fresh air for sure.

« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2021, 10:14:03 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
ESPN: Boston Celtics: B

"... [because of other roster additions there was] little room for Dunn -- or Edwards, a holdover on the roster -- to earn regular minutes. As a result, sending both of them out for a forward who can hypothetically provide floor spacing made sense for the Celtics."

"It's important to note that Hernangomez's stretch ability hasn't really shown up much in practice since he made 41% of his 3-point attempts as a rookie."

"Hernangomez's 2022-23 salary is entirely non-guaranteed through the day before free agency. So the Celtics aren't taking on additional long-term salary with this deal and could pay Hernangomez less than Dunn and Edwards if he fails to reach the performance incentives."

"A 2-for-1 trade opens up a roster spot for Parker, who otherwise would have had to beat out a player with a guaranteed contract to make the team. However, Parker fills a similar role to that of Hernangomez, and Boston might now prefer to add a guard or keep the 15th roster spot open for midseason deals."

===

IOW is a low-cost move to shore up the PF and provide more flexibility. MEM got a C. They now have 18 players under contract after buying out Rondo earlier this week.

He shot 42% from 3pt in the 2019-2020 season... so the year before last. Hopefully he can back to that.

That was just for the 14 games after he was traded.  He shot 34% for the year.

I think of Hernangomez as a lottery ticket. You never know - you might win! - but probably you won't. It didn't cost much, so it was worth a try.

« Reply #96 on: September 03, 2021, 11:22:55 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
If Hernangomez can beat out Grant Williams for the PF spot, then this is a huge win. GWill was more playable than Edwards. There was no way Dunn was seeing the floor either. This is a roster balancing move with upside. It’s a super solid move IMO
- LilRip

« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2021, 12:03:36 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375
Coming in late but I approve! Got rid of two deadbeats for a useful bench player in a position we need depth in, and he's a stretch 4 as well, I will take it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2021, 01:15:49 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
A lot of Hernangomez's looks from 3 last year were contested/late clock heaves, given Minny's awful ball movement. I think there is a good chance he gets his % back up in the mid-high 30s.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2021, 02:32:17 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
We need a guy who can shimmy

https://youtu.be/iKewYPBBaAU
- LilRip

« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2021, 07:51:39 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Confused by this trade. No, I don't care about Dunn/Edwards, but we'd be better off trying to duck the tax this season by trading those guys with cash/a 2nd, rather than bringing in another PF. I agree with others in saying that Parker's days with the Cs may be limited, but I'd rather keep Parker, duck the tax, and sign a pro-rated vet min player later in the season.

Maybe that's still the plan and Hernangomez will be more desirable for other teams down the road. Always better to try and trade one player rather than two (either in a cost cutting move or as part of a bigger trade), but not sure I see the logic in this quite yet.

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2021, 08:39:56 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Confused by this trade. No, I don't care about Dunn/Edwards, but we'd be better off trying to duck the tax this season by trading those guys with cash/a 2nd, rather than bringing in another PF. I agree with others in saying that Parker's days with the Cs may be limited, but I'd rather keep Parker, duck the tax, and sign a pro-rated vet min player later in the season.

Maybe that's still the plan and Hernangomez will be more desirable for other teams down the road. Always better to try and trade one player rather than two (either in a cost cutting move or as part of a bigger trade), but not sure I see the logic in this quite yet.

You duck the tax at the deadline if your season warrants it.  Before then it makes sense to try to be competitive by balancing out your roster.

Besides, the cost here is super low, if any.  In 2026, we’ll get the lesser pick of ours and the better of Miami and Indiana — in other words, in 5 drafts from now, if we finished below both Miami AND Indiana, our 2nd rounder would get a bit worse.  Meanwhile, if Hernangomez completely doesn’t pan out, he actually costs less than Dunn and Edwards because I presume he wouldn’t hit his performance bonus.  In other words, if he offers as little to the team as the guys he was traded for, the C’s will save money and be closer to getting under the tax (by about $600k).  Pretty much a no lose for the C’s.  Either they get better (which I think they will) or they save money.

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2021, 09:27:23 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
So...

Horford / Timelord / Kanter / Fernando
Tatum / Hernagomez / Jabari / Williams
Brown / Nesmith
Richardson / Romeo
Smart / Schroder / Pritchard

It's interesting that so many people are talking about "roster balance".  We've got eight guys at the big positions, although Tatum can obviously thrive at SF.

Jabari is 100% gone, right?  There's no need to pay more than the subsidized minimum for the deep bench, is there?

You know who would have brought balance to that lineup?  Evan Fournier. ;)

Depth chart looks pretty [dang] good to me. Will take that starting lineup over Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Thompson every day of the week. Bench is so much better too. Smart can take a lot of the backup minutes at SG/SF as well.

I wonder if this means more playing time for Tatum at SF, and if so how much. Let’s say Tatum splits his time between PF and SF it will open much more playing time between Hernagomez, Parker, and G Williams if coach Ime chooses to. At least have the flexibility to play bigger.
Is that better? By Roy's breakdown I'd rather play the smaller guys.
I think we don't have a good PF option, so buy more lottery tickets. Maybe one fits.

Yeah you’re right.  I was someone that wanted to keep Dunn around because of his defense capability, but having Schroder on the team he was going to have a hard time finding playing time.  Letting this move sink in more it does really help with the roster balance.  I’m ready for the preseason to start. 😊

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2021, 09:53:17 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've always liked Hernangomez  and have wondered why he wasn't appreciated more.  Maybe there's issues with him that I'm not aware of him because I only watched him play maybe 2 or 3 times a season.   I'm pretty happy with the roster now. 

There's 1 thing I still don't understand.  Weren't we counting pennies just a couple of weeks ago?  What happened to that?  The inflation reports?

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Am I the only one just getting the Dunn Edwards thing?