Author Topic: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez  (Read 28849 times)

Re: Edwards & Dunn Traded for Juancho Hernangomez
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2021, 10:17:27 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Finally gotten rid of Carsen..now do the same with Grant & Romeo

That’s not really fair to lump Romeo in with Grant and Carson. Langford at least has the talent, size, and athleticism to be a solid role player in the NBA. The other two do not.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2021, 10:32:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Was looking through some NBA youtube channels at player highlight reels and came across at Juancho one if anyone is interested in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNPbNf8f-IU

« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2021, 10:40:11 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
This guy is terrible. I can see why the trade was made but at least Dunn was good at a couple of things. This guy is pretty much useless. Say all you want about him being active and shooting 3's but he's good for one minute per game.
And yet he has been a rotation level player every year of his career.  Even a spot starter for a Denver team that made game 7 of the WCS.  And earned himself a contract well above the minimum in the process. 

Just not a take borne in reality.
Yeah, a Denver team with Jokic and Plumlee as their only bigs? Maybe Milsap. Did he really spot start? That's tragic.
And I don't know what reality you're talking about. I see it, the bad contracts given to mediocre players, every day.
As long as this trade means that Grant will be dealt or relegated to player #12 off the bench I'm ok with it.

« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the moves by PBS show that he was not satisfied with the players he had as a coach.

« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2021, 11:55:55 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Was looking through some NBA youtube channels at player highlight reels and came across at Juancho one if anyone is interested in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNPbNf8f-IU

I haven't seen mush of Juancho before this.  I like what I saw: drives with both hands, finishes with both hands has a nice looking shot.   Did not notice him shooting jumpers off the dribble?   Hope he is a hard worker, seems like we should have some minutes for him.

And he is wearing # 41 - a number I think is available?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2021, 12:41:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This guy is terrible. I can see why the trade was made but at least Dunn was good at a couple of things. This guy is pretty much useless. Say all you want about him being active and shooting 3's but he's good for one minute per game.
And yet he has been a rotation level player every year of his career.  Even a spot starter for a Denver team that made game 7 of the WCS.  And earned himself a contract well above the minimum in the process. 

Yeah, a Denver team with Jokic and Plumlee as their only bigs? Maybe Milsap. Did he really spot start? That's tragic.
And I don't know what reality you're talking about. I see it, the bad contracts given to mediocre players, every day.
As long as this trade means that Grant will be dealt or relegated to player #12 off the bench I'm ok with it.
He started 25 games for Denver playing 19.4 mpg.  He played 17.3 mpg last year starting 6 games.  No one is saying he isn't mediocre or a bench player, but he isn't worthless and can give you a lot more than one minute a game.  That is what I was responding to, your take that he has no value and shouldn't play at all.  He is a nice solid bench player that can start in a pinch if needed.  That isn't worthless.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2021, 12:56:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Not a fan of having Juancho on our payroll for $7,419,505 in 2022/23. Anyway, it's a minor trade. I guess we finally have our 15-man roster.

Bye, Bye, Grant Williams. He was due $4.3M next year on a team option. Juan’s $7.4M isn’t really a big deal with him off the books. Plus, no more Edwards who had a team option for $2m.

Is he actually even any better then Grant? 

I haven't seen Juancho play, but his physicals don't look impressive (modest size for a PF and about as skinny as Tatum was as a rookie) and I dont see a single statistical category that jumps out at me as above average.  Mediocre FG% for a big, mediocre FT%, mediocre rebounding, mediocre shotblocking and steals, merely average 3PT%, and im not seeing any indication of improvement / progression as his career has gone on. 

Seems like the ultimate poster boy for the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach to basketball.  I guess that gives him versatility at least?

Per 36mpg, Juan is at 15pts and 8Reb. He’s also a legit 6’9” with a 7’ wingspan. Grants per 36 is 9pts and 5 rebs which is awful. He’s also very undersized. I don’t think he’s even 6’6” and has poor athleticism/lateral quickness. Grant gets abused trying to guard just about anyone one on one at the PF or C position. Players just shoot right over him. 
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2021, 01:00:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

He started 25 games for Denver playing 19.4 mpg.  He played 17.3 mpg last year starting 6 games.  No one is saying he isn't mediocre or a bench player, but he isn't worthless and can give you a lot more than one minute a game.  That is what I was responding to, your take that he has no value and shouldn't play at all.  He is a nice solid bench player that can start in a pinch if needed.  That isn't worthless.

Yeah, He's a solid NBA role player. Your roster should have a lot of these kinds of guys to support your stars and starters. They might help you win you a playoff game or a couple of regular season games. If he can play some decent defense he'll see time.

« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Is he actually even any better then Grant? 

He’s a better scorer and rebounder.  He’s quite a bit better inside the arc.  Williams shoots 3PTs at a higher percentage, but at a lower volume.  Williams is a more proficient passer, but also turns the ball over more.  Part of that is that Williams just isn’t confident in his shot, and wants to get the ball out of his hands.  So, he passes more, and shoots less.

Grant has better defensive technique and can rotate, but his size hampers him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2021, 01:19:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I view Juancho as a useful 3rd string PF. Arguably the same as Grant Williams (3rd stringer or non-NBA?). And better than Jabari who I view as a non-NBA level player.

Basically, we just have three 3rd string PFs. None of whom are good enough to be playing regular minutes. Each offers a different skill set as an end of the roster player.

« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2021, 01:30:57 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772
I view Juancho as a useful 3rd string PF. Arguably the same as Grant Williams (3rd stringer or non-NBA?). And better than Jabari who I view as a non-NBA level player.

Basically, we just have three 3rd string PFs. None of whom are good enough to be playing regular minutes. Each offers a different skill set as an end of the roster player.

Yes, but they are playing behind arguably one of the best PFs in the league...Tatum.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2021, 01:49:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Yes, but they are playing behind arguably one of the best PFs in the league...Tatum.

Agreed

« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

How is Jabari a “Non-NBA” level player?  His defense is below average, but everything else looked decent enough for a backup, Plus he has good size and looks strong. His per 36 in 10 games for the C’s was 17pts, 9reb, 3ast, 1blk. He may end up being the best back up PF on the team this year.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 02:13:12 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2021, 02:11:06 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

How is Jabari a “Non-NBA” level player?  His defense is below average, but everything else looked decent enough for a backup, Plus he has good size and looks strong. His per 36 in 10 games for the C’s was 17pts, 9reb, 3ast, 1blk. He may end up being the best back up PF on the Team this year.

I agree.  I like Jabari.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2021, 02:29:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

How is Jabari a “Non-NBA” level player?  His defense is below average, but everything else looked decent enough for a backup, Plus he has good size and looks strong. His per 36 in 10 games for the C’s was 17pts, 9reb, 3ast, 1blk. He may end up being the best back up PF on the team this year.
His defense is terrible. Not just below average but terrible. And his offense is useful but not good enough to make up for his terrible defense.

His offense is limited by his lack of outside shooting & middling scoring efficiency which makes him both a (1) bad fit as a supporting player due to lack of outside shooting (2) a bad fit as a leading shot creator due to middling efficiency.

He is just an empty stats guy for bad teams. He doesn't impact winning positively. A loser player for loser teams.