Author Topic: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)  (Read 67213 times)

Re: Simmons Wants Trade / Not Going To Report To Camp (CBS Report)
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2021, 12:56:40 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'd love to trade for Ben Simmons.

Folks pay too much attention to noise made in a dispute. Too much focus on the cosmetic problems (TV back and forth) instead of the real problems (his shot).

« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Folks pay too much attention to noise made in a dispute. Too much focus on the cosmetic problems (TV back and forth) instead of the real problems (his shot).
His real problems are his mind and his competitive spirit. Those may not be able to be fixed, and hence, his shot may never get fixed.

« Reply #302 on: October 02, 2021, 03:31:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Without including Brown it would be difficult, but I think something like this might work near the deadline (if the Simmons saga extends that long)

Boston - Simmons, Looney
Golden St. - Horford, Smart
Philly - Wiggins, Nesmith, Langford, BOS 1st's (22, 24), GS 1st (earliest they can trade one)

Something like that I think makes for all 3 teams, but can't be done until Smart can be traded on January 20th. 

So Boston post-trade

Starters - Simmons, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, R.Williams
Rotation - Schroder, Pritchard, G. Williams, Parker, Kanter, Looney
Deep Bench - Hernangomez, Fernando

If this is still going on towards the end of the year, I can see something with GSW, PHI, and BOS, but a little different.  I don't think Phily wants prospects (Nesmith, Langford, Picks), I think they want players who plug in and help win now.  The result is Simmons ot GSW though, not to Boston:

Boston:    Wiseman
Philly:      Wiggins, Schroder (can be traded on Dec 15)
GSW:       Simmons

This is less than if Philly had just taken Brogdon and Warren from Indy so maybe you have to add in some picks but this is the general idea that to me, is more workable and provides Philly more what they want.  I also don't know how much GSW want Simmons.

Now to get Simmons to Boston, if we are going to give up Smart, why not send him to Philly?  This would be contingent on GSW actually wanting Al Horford but this is how I would see it:

Boston:   Simmons
Philly:     Wiggins, Smart (+ Boston 1st?)
GSW:      Horford

I am not sure when Horford can be traded and I know there are base year compensation issues with Smart (his salary did not increase by more than 20% so I think this is OK).  Philly probably does not do this as they could probably do better with other teams but I think they prefer this over Wiggins + prospects/picks.  And if it came to it, we could add a pick.

« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2021, 06:39:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think him being a terrible teammate is a real problem, as we should know all too well from our Kyrie fiasco
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #304 on: October 02, 2021, 09:38:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Same.

He's an incredible defender and passer. He'd fit in perfectly.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2021, 12:00:31 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 984

I think him being a terrible teammate is a real problem, as we should know all too well from our Kyrie fiasco

That and his complete lack of improvement going back to college.  Incredible talent — he should be a top 3 player, but instead he coasts to the point where he isn’t playable at the end of playoff games.  He doesn’t care to get better, no matter who his coach or teammates are.

« Reply #306 on: October 03, 2021, 12:02:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That and his complete lack of improvement going back to college.  Incredible talent — he should be a top 3 player, but instead he coasts to the point where he isn’t playable at the end of playoff games.  He doesn’t care to get better, no matter who his coach or teammates are.
His lack of improvement astounds me. Same player that he was in his rookie year
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #307 on: October 03, 2021, 02:27:54 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

His lack of improvement doesn’t bother me too much because he’s already pretty good as is. It’s how much he makes and everything else that bothers me. Imagine if Simmons was making Marcus Smart money and didn’t have a diva attitude (doesn’t even have to be an exceptionally hard working guy, just not a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.). But alas, he makes franchise level money and is a tool

- LilRip

« Reply #308 on: October 03, 2021, 10:45:50 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

His lack of improvement doesn’t bother me too much because he’s already pretty good as is. It’s how much he makes and everything else that bothers me. Imagine if Simmons was making Marcus Smart money and didn’t have a diva attitude (doesn’t even have to be an exceptionally hard working guy, just not a Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.). But alas, he makes franchise level money and is a tool

His lack of even attempting to improve is what gets me most. As a professional, his tail should be in the gym with a shooting coach taking thousands of shots a day. He owes it to his teammates and the organization.

If I were running the show in Philly, I'd trade him to the lowliest franchise in the NBA for a bunch of future firsts and forget his ungrateful (Edited for profanity, and I won't do it again) even existed. 

« Reply #309 on: October 03, 2021, 11:10:59 AM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I agree with the above comment.  if I were Simmons I would improve my shot if only to stop being a punchline for jokes.  He may have already cost himself a second max contract, and teams would be insane to give up too much value for him right now. 

If I were Simmons I would publicly retract my trade demand and rejoin the Sixers, with an understanding that the Sixers would move me eventually. 

I don't blame the Sixers for giving into Simmons.  This would set an awful precedent for the NBA if a team gives into such a public demand while the player still has a few years under his existing contract.

To me any statement Simmons makes regarding his unwillingness to play under his existing contract may constitute a repudiation of the contract, which gives the Sixers the power to declare a breach.  While I understand the Sixers ideally want to trade Simmons, I think the repudiation argument is a plausible Plan "B" and gives the Sixers the upper hand.  No one is going to sign Simmons to such a massive contract.

« Reply #310 on: October 03, 2021, 12:20:50 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
There is something the sixers can do that has not been mentioned much, and that is just refuse to trade him. Have him work for his money by showing up for work or not (if that is the team’s choice), and pay him as long as he is not disruptive to the team. They do not have to play him, but they pay him as long as he does not do anything against his contract.

« Reply #311 on: October 03, 2021, 12:31:22 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
There is something the sixers can do that has not been mentioned much, and that is just refuse to trade him. Have him work for his money by showing up for work or not (if that is the team’s choice), and pay him as long as he is not disruptive to the team. They do not have to play him, but they pay him as long as he does not do anything against his contract.

I think Simmons has been as disruptive as a teammate can be.  He is already in breach and keeping him around the team will only serve to damage it.

« Reply #312 on: October 03, 2021, 01:56:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

« Reply #313 on: October 05, 2021, 11:07:57 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Same.

He's an incredible defender and passer. He'd fit in perfectly.
Yep. And it's not just in his attitude, it's in his play as well. One of his best skills is as a passer so you'd think he should be able to make the players around him better but, as Embiid recently pointed out, the team was constantly trying to change things around Simmons to make him comfortable instead of Simmons elevating those players in some way.

He's an incredibly talent with some amazing skills so it won't surprise me if he finds success somewhere at some point but he has some serious growing up to do.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #314 on: October 11, 2021, 10:52:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Shams and Woj both reporting that Simmons return to the Sixers is looking more likely as the Sixers and Rich Paul have been discussing it all weekend and have gotten much closer to his return.

If Simmons comes back and actually gives effort, the Sixers will have played this perfectly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip