Author Topic: 96 Dream team vs All USA team today  (Read 4372 times)

Re: 96 Dream team vs All USA team today
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 11:44:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Do you mean if the Dream Team from '96 at their ages today versus the current squad? That still might be close.

If not, '96 is considerably better...obviously.
I want to see 50 year-old Shaq against Bam
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 11:56:24 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

1996 Dream Team Roster

Shaq,  David Robinson
Hakeem,  Barkley,  Malone
Pippen, Grant Hill
Reggie Miller, Mich Richmond
Gary Payton, John Stockton,  Penny Hardaway

Sans the SG position, those are some of the most talented players ever assembled. That frontcourt is absolutely ridiculous.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 09:01:06 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
'96 Dream Team and probably in a sweep. 

That team was just ridiculously stacked.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 09:26:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

How soon until all of the 2021 bigs fouled out?

That team is literally unstoppable up front.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Also in the running are

Towns
Zion and Sabonis
Tatum
Booker and Beal
Trey young and Irving

Towns plays for the Dominican Republic.

The most talented bigs in the NBA today don't play for the US.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 09:34:08 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

How soon until all of the 2021 bigs fouled out?

That team is literally unstoppable up front.

It really is.  It's pick your poison with Hakeem, Shaq, & the Admiral.  Each can destroy you a different way.

Barkley/Zion would be fun to watch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 10:00:41 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

1996 Dream Team Roster

Shaq,  David Robinson
Hakeem,  Barkley,  Malone
Pippen, Grant Hill
Reggie Miller, Mich Richmond
Gary Payton, John Stockton,  Penny Hardaway

The 1996 Dream Team is the second-best basketball team ever assembled behind only the 92.

https://clutchpoints.com/the-1996-dream-team-is-the-second-best-basketball-team-ever-assembled/

I take 96 in five.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 05:52:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I have a hard time believing Shaq could guard out to the 3 point line (even slimmer 96 Shaq).  Same with older Hakeem and DRob.  Even Barkley and Malone would struggle staying with guys like Durant.  Now obviously the modern team would just have to throw bodies at Shaq, DRob, and Hakeem in the paint, but I think that is where someone like Dwight Howard could still be very effective.  And if the 96 team can have Hakeem, why can't the modern team have Embiid or Giannis?  Even without one of those guys, I wouldn't count this team out

PG - Curry, Lillard
SG - Harden, Butler, Brown
SF - Durant, Leonard
PF - James, Sabonis, Williamson
C - Davis, Howard

I think that team would handle itself pretty well.  The 3 point shooting would be a real problem for the 96 team as really only Miller, Richmond, and Stockton were good shooters from the old guys.  And the modern team would dominate the SG's and SF's on both ends of the floor. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 06:33:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I have a hard time believing Shaq could guard out to the 3 point line (even slimmer 96 Shaq).  Same with older Hakeem and DRob.  Even Barkley and Malone would struggle staying with guys like Durant.  Now obviously the modern team would just have to throw bodies at Shaq, DRob, and Hakeem in the paint, but I think that is where someone like Dwight Howard could still be very effective.  And if the 96 team can have Hakeem, why can't the modern team have Embiid or Giannis?  Even without one of those guys, I wouldn't count this team out

PG - Curry, Lillard
SF - Durant, Leonard
C - Davis, Howard

I think that team would handle itself pretty well.  The 3 point shooting would be a real problem for the 96 team as really only Miller, Richmond, and Stockton were good shooters from the old guys.  And the modern team would dominate the SG's and SF's on both ends of the floor.

I respect the attempt at being a contrarian, but Howard is hardly a good enough defender at this point to slow down any of the 96 Team's big men. 

And, no, Scottie Pippen would not be "dominated at both ends of the floor".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 07:41:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

PG - Curry, Lillard
SF - Durant, Leonard
C - Davis, Howard

I respect the attempt at being a contrarian, but Howard is hardly a good enough defender at this point to slow down any of the 96 Team's big men. 

Just ridiculous. Howard would be fouled out within 3 minutes.

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 08:08:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If you want to make one tweak to the 96 roster to combat the 3 point barrage. It's replace Glen Rice with one of the big men.

Now you can have say

Hakeem
Glen Rice
Reggie Miller
Mich Richmond
Stockton

If you need to space the court. The current team has no answer dot the 96s inside dominance.

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 09:07:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If you want to make one tweak to the 96 roster to combat the 3 point barrage. It's replace Glen Rice with one of the big men.

Now you can have say

Hakeem
Glen Rice
Reggie Miller
Mich Richmond
Stockton

If you need to space the court. The current team has no answer dot the 96s inside dominance.

I wouldn't bother.  Play to Team USA's strengths.  Shooting 60% inside is going to win over shooting 40% outside.  With a 12 man roster, the All-NBA team can't afford foul trouble.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2021, 09:37:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

PG - Curry, Lillard
SF - Durant, Leonard
C - Davis, Howard

1996 Grant Hill was a phenomenal player on the wing. He would not have been dominated on both ends either.

Gotta remember, that was pre-injury Grant who was putting up 20 points, 10 rebounds and 7 assists a game while playing great defense.  Without that injury, Hill may have gone on to be a top 25-30 player all-time.

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 09:57:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

PG - Curry, Lillard
SF - Durant, Leonard
C - Davis, Howard

1996 Grant Hill was a phenomenal player on the wing. He would not have been dominated on both ends either.

Gotta remember, that was pre-injury Grant who was putting up 20 points, 10 rebounds and 7 assists a game while playing great defense.  Without that injury, Hill may have gone on to be a top 25-30 player all-time.
Yeah, Grant was really legit in the mid-90s. Hyper athletic point forward alongside Pippen, another hyper athletic point forward type. Pip was also shooting 5.2 threes a game at 37% from 95-97.

That's certainly not a wing duo to scoff at.

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 10:00:49 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
As hard as it might be it could be fun to try and rank team USA teams from 1992 onward.

What this exercise shows is team USA has not been deep with elite centers and big men in a long time it seems.  The 96 team could throw out 2 elite big men out there at all times, and the current team would have no chance stopping them down low.

A sidenote Zion verses Barkley though an older Barkley at this point would be fun to watch.