Author Topic: The cost of max cap room  (Read 8226 times)

Re: The cost of max cap room
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2021, 01:26:39 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't think all these moves are all about creating max contract space next offseason like everyone is raving.  I think it's just about staying flexible and not giving out bad, long-term contracts.  I see nothing in the moves made so far that don't simply indicate:
  • Brad wasn't crazy about Fournier and didn't think he was worth competing with the contract NYK was offering
  • We will go ahead and resign Marcus and Timelord next offseason if they can be retained at fair contracts
  • One year contracts are nice to have when you're unsure of a player's fit or long-term status here

If so why not try to improve the roster? Maybe I'm wrong but every move looks to stay under the tax this year and have, the potential, to have cap money next year.

Wait, who says he isn't trying to improve the roster?  We added Josh Richardson using a trade exception.  Trading Kemba for Horford could be an improvement.  He traded TT for Dunn which could be an improvement. 

Free agency just started less than 48 hours ago, where our only signing options are to resign Evan Fournier (see bullet #1) or to use the MLE and BAE.  Maybe he's being patient with the MLE money.  There are still lots of free agents out there like Dinwiddie, Danny Green, Lauri Markannen, Reggie Jackson, Oladipo, Josh Hart, Iguodala, Winslow, Redick, Wes Matthews, Millsap that maybe Brad has to wait a little while on before he can get them to agree to a contract that he thinks is a good value with the little money we have available to us to spend.  Handing a guy like Kelly Olynyk 3 years $37M to "improve the roster" is not the kind of move I've been looking to see in the last 48 hours.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2021, 01:32:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think all these moves are all about creating max contract space next offseason like everyone is raving.  I think it's just about staying flexible and not giving out bad, long-term contracts.  I see nothing in the moves made so far that don't simply indicate:
  • Brad wasn't crazy about Fournier and didn't think he was worth competing with the contract NYK was offering
  • We will go ahead and resign Marcus and Timelord next offseason if they can be retained at fair contracts
  • One year contracts are nice to have when you're unsure of a player's fit or long-term status here

If so why not try to improve the roster? Maybe I'm wrong but every move looks to stay under the tax this year and have, the potential, to have cap money next year.

Wait, who says he isn't trying to improve the roster?  We added Josh Richardson using a trade exception.  Trading Kemba for Horford could be an improvement.  He traded TT for Dunn which could be an improvement. 

Free agency just started less than 48 hours ago, where our only signing options are to resign Evan Fournier (see bullet #1) or to use the MLE and BAE.  Maybe he's being patient with the MLE money.  There are still lots of free agents out there like Dinwiddie, Danny Green, Lauri Markannen, Reggie Jackson, Oladipo, Josh Hart, Iguodala, Winslow, Redick, Wes Matthews, Millsap that maybe Brad has to wait a little while on before he can get them to agree to a contract that he thinks is a good value with the little money we have available to us to spend.  Handing a guy like Kelly Olynyk 3 years $37M to "improve the roster" is not the kind of move I've been looking to see in the last 48 hours.

I’ll bet you 1,000 TPs that the Celts don’t sign any free agent for multiple years.  Flexibility.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2021, 01:40:59 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25

I’ll bet you 1,000 TPs that the Celts don’t sign any free agent for multiple years.  Flexibility.
I here you, but
Richardson/TPE vs Fournier saves money
Traded Kemba and a 1st for Al saves money.
Maybe traded TT for Dunn to save money.

Maybe your right, more money doesn't mean the better player. BUT when you start to stack them up, it's not unreasonable to question if it's about the money.

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2021, 02:11:45 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Yeah, I mentioned in my first post that I think flexibility and not handing out bad long-term contracts is what's going on here.  I think that's a good general practice and doesn't mean he's not trying to improve the roster.  I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.  I also don't think not handing out bad long-term contracts is certainly tied to a plan of renouncing a few guys a year from now in order to create future max contract space for one guy.  Maybe he is.  But I think it could just be as simple as "Brad doesn't want bad long-term contracts on the books" and I feel like people aren't giving any validity to that possibility.

Edit: I'm looking at my own biases and I think my views here is partially based on me not really wanting Beal here and I'd rather keep Smart and Time Lord and build a team slowly and intelligently.  I think my biases might be reflected in my posts in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 02:16:46 PM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2021, 02:18:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yeah, I mentioned in my first post that I think flexibility and not handing out bad long-term contracts is what's going on here.  I think that's a good general practice and doesn't mean he's not trying to improve the roster.  I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.  I also don't think not handing out bad long-term contracts is certainly tied to a plan of renouncing a few guys a year from now in order to create future max contract space for one guy.  Maybe he is.  But I think it could just be as simple as "Brad doesn't want bad long-term contracts on the books" and I feel like people aren't giving any validity to that possibility.

To buy into that possibility, you need to believe that not only is Fournier’s three year deal a bad contract, but so is every single multi-year deal signed in free agency.  From what we’ve seen, any deal with more than one year on it is a “bad long term contract” to Brad / ownership.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2021, 04:20:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

To buy into that possibility, you need to believe that not only is Fournier’s three year deal a bad contract, but so is every single multi-year deal signed in free agency.  From what we’ve seen, any deal with more than one year on it is a “bad long term contract” to Brad / ownership.
Fournier and every free agent are not the same thing. Fournier was a bad contract, it doesn't mean every free agent contract of multiple years is a bad contract
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2021, 04:28:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Fournier and every free agent are not the same thing. Fournier was a bad contract, it doesn't mean every free agent contract of multiple years is a bad contract

Then why haven’t we signed anybody?

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 04:54:28 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Here is what seems super clear to me:
1. We won't sign or trade for anyone with $ past this year (unless it is a Beal-type blockbuster). This appears obvious after Richardson (expiring), Dunn (expiring), Fernando (expiring), passing on Fournier, Kanter (1 year deal), and the lack of movement on using the 5.9 exception (many deals so far include that 2nd year player option, which I assume we have not been willing to offer).

Here is what is still up in the air:
1. Is the plan max cap space next summer (I hope not), or is the plan to load up on expiring contracts to make it easier to make a big trade (now? deadline?) in advance of next summer (my hope).
2. Are we willing to pay the tax this year even if we are not willing to take on future $? If we are not, that would be a pretty [dang]ing indictment of Wyc in my opinion since there is no reason we can't both pay some tax this year to give our team a legit shot to be competitive and still have the flexibility and cap space moving forward. I am worried that Wyc has mandated no tax this year. We supposedly traded TT for Dunn/Fernando instead of Delon Wright. Wright is a better player and better fit for us than Dunn, but he makes 1.8 more than them. Also, we have not used that 5.9 exception. Maybe we use it in the next couple of days, but if we don't use it at all (or only use a portion of it to sign Yam), that is a major failure to add a veteran rotation player to the team at the cost of nothing but $. I hope I'm wrong, and we are willing to pay some tax. If they expand the SAC/ATL deal to take back more salary and use the 5.9, I will rescind my recent criticism of Wyc. But he seems way too willing to "pay the tax next year when we're a real contender", but there's mounting evidence that next year keeps rolling over.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:00:21 PM by nebist »

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 05:57:59 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I don’t get the sky is falling mentality around here.

Yes we are conserving our cash position. Any business executive can logically understand that the pandemic significantly impacted revenues and profit. Just like how some major brands downsized according to this economical trend, we have taken a little bit of a business continuity angle.

And I think it makes a lot of sense given the evolution and growth of this young team. Ainge attempted to merge youth with veterans and we ALMOST got there (Hayward injury, Kyrie flaking). Now we commit to youth. So it is completely rational and logical to clear your cap space to identify who falls in line with the youth movement and who becomes a complimentary piece.

Naturally Beal is and should be a target. Although I think he is redundant to our current roster. We do have movable players who could match a max target who is similarly aged and is more complimentary to Jaylen and Jayson. Let’s say Portland trades Lillard. It would be reasonable that McCollum would shortly follow. And he has connections to Ime and could be a good ball handling guard addition which presents a different look than Beal.

This is going to be a long term game. It always was after we lost Kyrie.

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2021, 06:06:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Yes we are conserving our cash position. Any business executive can logically understand that the pandemic significantly impacted revenues and profit. Just like how some major brands downsized according to this economical trend, we have taken a little bit of a business continuity angle.

And I think it makes a lot of sense given the evolution and growth of this young team. Ainge attempted to merge youth with veterans and we ALMOST got there (Hayward injury, Kyrie flaking). Now we commit to youth. So it is completely rational and logical to clear your cap space to identify who falls in line with the youth movement and who becomes a complimentary piece.

Naturally Beal is and should be a target. Although I think he is redundant to our current roster. We do have movable players who could match a max target who is similarly aged and is more complimentary to Jaylen and Jayson. Let’s say Portland trades Lillard. It would be reasonable that McCollum would shortly follow. And he has connections to Ime and could be a good ball handling guard addition which presents a different look than Beal.

Haven't the Celtics been making massive profits every year including last year? Isn't their investment increased by 500% since buying the team?

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2021, 06:20:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Then why haven’t we signed anybody?
All the normal reasons i.e. nobody worth signing for the mle that would come here, no sign and trades make sense or could fit, and countless other reasons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2021, 07:01:27 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I was listening KOC and Bill Simmons discuss the NBA free agency and Simmons repeated verbatim what we’ve questioned of PBS moves (lack there of).

Simmons also bought up an interesting point, if the Celtics are making this room for 2022 off-season, how is Smart going to react by not given an extension during the season like Brown & Tatum? He was already upset about being put in trade talks, so now when his agent attempts to discuss an extension, Stevens will just avoid him? Tell Smart to wait till the end of the season? Why wouldn’t Smart just walk when his contract is up? And in the process another Celtics player leaves of nothing.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2021, 07:29:51 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

Ditto for me. Given where we are (moving from the Horford/Kyrie/Hayward/Walker era in the team’s history to one centered around Brown/Tatum), what they are doing is pretty rational. You don’t want to hunt high-priced role players whose contracts are about what they’re worth; right now you need to hunt a legit STAR whose value is way above his contract. The team isn’t just preserving cap space for a potential unrestricted FA in a year, but also all of their future draft capital in case the opportunity arises to land that player in a trade.

I like the case for McCollum and that’s a great example of a player who isn’t available now but absolutely could be at some point in the next year. Super-efficient scorer that can get his shot off the catch playing off another ball-dominant player. Making $33.5m next year and $35.8m in the final year of his deal (2023-24). You could trade Horford plus going players/picks for him mid-season if the Blazers have finally decided to move on from their Lillard/McCollum experiment, then go into next offseason looking to get Smart and or R Williams re-signed. This would be possible because of the way the Celtics front office has positioned itself this summer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:44:13 PM by Walker Wiggle »

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2021, 09:45:32 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Everyone assumes we are targeting Beal via the 2022 free agency. There's also the possibility we'll go after Beal/Siakam at the trade deadline. As things stand right now, imo neither the Wiz nor the Raps will make the playoffs next season. It's possible that both Beal and Siakam will be available at the trade deadline.

Horford + prospect(s) + multiple future firsts is enough salary to net us either Beal or Siakam.

Alternatively, we can go after Beal via a sign and trade.

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2021, 09:59:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Everyone assumes we are targeting Beal via the 2022 free agency. There's also the possibility we'll go after Beal/Siakam at the trade deadline. As things stand right now, imo neither the Wiz nor the Raps will make the playoffs next season. It's possible that both Beal and Siakam will be available at the trade deadline.

Horford + prospect(s) + multiple future firsts is enough salary to net us either Beal or Siakam.

Alternatively, we can go after Beal via a sign and trade.
Brown-Tatum-Siakam is a fearsome trio. Long, rangy athletes with very different offensive skill-sets
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)