Author Topic: Tatum Didn't Make All NBA Team  (Read 5370 times)

Re: Tatum Didn't Make All NBA Team
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2021, 12:31:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Randle over Tatum?

Yup. He deserves it

Standings do matter

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2021, 12:44:20 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Good news for Tatum.  Go after the gold. Playing with top calibre players should help expand his game (non all star format)

Chris Haynes
@ChrisBHaynes
·
5h
Boston Celtics star Jayson Tatum has committed to playing for USA Basketball at this summer’s Tokyo Olympics, league sources tell
@YahooSports

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2021, 12:57:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
More All-NBA voters put Clippers wing Paul George at forward than guard.

That’ll cost Celtics forward Jayson Tatum more than $25 million.*

Tatum received a not-nice-enough 69 voting points – more than All-NBA third-team guard Kyrie Irving (61). But because George (89) received more votes at forward, he took the last forward slot rather than the guard spot that went to Irving.

Just does not seem fair..all the labor of Tatum and he falls to this weird voting system.

Just needs to use it as motivation for next season. And try to get the team to finish over .500 I'm sure that will help in the minds of the voters too.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2021, 01:10:21 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Randle over Tatum?

Yup. He deserves it

Standings do matter

Not sure I agree. 

Randle was excellent this year, and made massive strides.  But was he better then Tatum?  In my opinion he a step below. 

The Knicks were 5 games better then the Celtics sure, but they also didn't have to go through nearly as many crucial injuries.  Each to their own though.

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2021, 01:48:42 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Randle over Tatum?

Yup. He deserves it

Standings do matter

Not sure I agree. 

Randle was excellent this year, and made massive strides.  But was he better then Tatum?  In my opinion he a step below. 

The Knicks were 5 games better then the Celtics sure, but they also didn't have to go through nearly as many crucial injuries.  Each to their own though.

All NBA team is not about ...individual talent alone

Randle ...whatever he did helped the Knicks win 5 more games

And you cant include outliers like ..what if..what ifs

Otherwise whats stopping from Kat from making NBA all team? His stats are sound all around

The ind stats, leadership, wins formula matters

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2021, 01:53:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Tatum has to learn that he doesnt have to lead in FG shots taken...basically almost every game

If one or two of your role guys are cooking. You make them the star that game. Do the other things to help the team win

I'm optimistic this next part of his game will happen

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 02:52:13 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Tatum had the 15th most points. Per ESPN:

For both Boston Celtics forward Jayson Tatum and Jazz guard Donovan Mitchell, missing out means the five-year extensions they signed prior to last season will be worth $163 million, as opposed to the $195.6 million they would've been had they made one of the All-NBA teams.

Tatum actually had more total points for an All-NBA spot than Irving (69 to 61). But because the voting is done by positions (two guard spots, two forward spots and a center spot on each team), Tatum finished 20 points behind George for the sixth and final forward spot in the voting.

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 04:37:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I had a post earlier in the year where I thought he would not make it but I thought he had locked it with all the scoring for third team as his playoffs were excellent.

LeBron should not have made it this year IMHO.  Too injured.

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 05:32:21 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
This costs Tatum $32M. It could save the Celtics $100M+ if you factor in luxury taxes.
Sorry for Jayson, but this really helps the Celtics to build a supporting cast around him.

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 07:56:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I had a post earlier in the year where I thought he would not make it but I thought he had locked it with all the scoring for third team as his playoffs were excellent.

LeBron should not have made it this year IMHO.  Too injured.

I am fine with Lebron making it. The Lakers were much better than us and AD missed even more games. The rest of their roster isn’t so amazing.

In fact, with two better players in KD and AD missing out due to missing too many games, it would have seemed like Tatum got in on a technicality. Lots of good players have a beef (Booker, Mitchell, Zion, etc). Only the 3rd best player on BKN made it. Sometimes that’s just how it works out.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:53:02 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 08:25:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
If you look at just the forwards, the winners were:

Kawhi, Giannis
LeBron, Randle
Butler, George

My big question is where is Kevin Durant.  I would have Durant and Giannis as my two top forwards with LeBron not far behind.  As for the next tier, Kawhi, Randle, Butler, George, I will take Tatum over any of these.  Kawhi possibly the exception but age is starting to show for him.  At any rate, I would have Tatum right there with Kawhi.

I know things like games played (Durant only had 35 to LeBron's 45) and team performance all play into this but these selections just are not representative.  So Randle is the second best PF in the league?  He had a nice season, but is the PF crop really that bad that he is the second best?  I guess that is why these all NBA selections are hard to make fair.

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2021, 02:45:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
This costs Tatum $32M. It could save the Celtics $100M+ if you factor in luxury taxes.
Sorry for Jayson, but this really helps the Celtics to build a supporting cast around him.

Good point. Celts do need help

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 02:52:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If you look at just the forwards, the winners were:

Kawhi, Giannis
LeBron, Randle
Butler, George

My big question is where is Kevin Durant.  I would have Durant and Giannis as my two top forwards with LeBron not far behind.  As for the next tier, Kawhi, Randle, Butler, George, I will take Tatum over any of these.  Kawhi possibly the exception but age is starting to show for him.  At any rate, I would have Tatum right there with Kawhi.

I know things like games played (Durant only had 35 to LeBron's 45) and team performance all play into this but these selections just are not representative.  So Randle is the second best PF in the league?  He had a nice season, but is the PF crop really that bad that he is the second best?  I guess that is why these all NBA selections are hard to make fair.

The Los Angeles based media has a significant influence over the outcome of the voting of post season awards, and Lebron has them in his back pocket.  Some would argue.

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2021, 08:47:14 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
It's almost as if they viewed Tatum in a different light than Celtic fans do, like he may need to mature in certain areas before he gets that final accolade.

Randle also did more with much less talent around him too. The Knicks over-achieved.

I'm sure the Celtics record also had something to do with it too. After all, JT had the ball in his hands continually the entire season.

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2021, 08:52:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
It's almost as if they viewed Tatum in a different light than Celtic fans do, like he may need to mature in certain areas before he gets that final accolade.

Randle also did more with much less talent around him too. The Knicks over-achieved.

Eh don't underestimate the New York media especially considering Randle's playoff performance. I mean if we're going by that logic, does that mean Booker and Mitchell need to mature in certain areas as well?