Author Topic: Lonzo Ball...You tell me  (Read 3815 times)

Lonzo Ball...You tell me
« on: June 16, 2021, 09:22:01 PM »

Offline $Mike$

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Again, IMO, a pass first PG, who is long and can defend multiple positions in a switch D, improving shooting %, right age, seems like a great fit..$18-20 mil range. Instead of telling me it can't happen, tell me how it can. Smart and a pick/sign and trade?  RL progresses on D as a possible Smart on D replacement.

Re: Lonzo Ball...You tell me
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 09:31:17 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i wont tell you it wont happen. but i will tell you that if it does happen the celtics become hard capped, and they would prefer not to go there.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 09:50:15 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I guess there isn't much of a chance of this happening, but I see it as a really good fit with JT / JB.  Ball is a great passer, a good defender, and the right age to grow with JB/JT.

is this lineup a contender?  keeping EF and getting Ball is probably impossible...who knows.
I would love a big long lineup like this

Ball (6'6") EF (6'7") JB (6'6")  JT (6'9")  Timelord (6'9")

Smart / TT / Nesmith / PP / Langford

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:01:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Kemba & Smart for Lonzo & E.Bledsoe

New Orleans get a new backcourt with more scoring and shooting which they are looking for. Two strong veteran presences to put alongside Ingram and Zion which they are also looking for (due to their lack of leadership). Kemba has been a good mentor to Jaylen and Tatum - that will bode well for his fit next to Ingram and Zion. Smart is a player loved by many in the NBA community for his glue guy game (intangibles, whatever you want to call it).

Boston gets Lonzo. Their PG of the future but has to eat a bad contract in Bledsoe in order to get it done and make the finances workable. Lonzo becomes a long term fixture. Bledsoe is trade fodder.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 10:32:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Kemba & Smart for Lonzo & E.Bledsoe

New Orleans get a new backcourt with more scoring and shooting which they are looking for. Two strong veteran presences to put alongside Ingram and Zion which they are also looking for (due to their lack of leadership). Kemba has been a good mentor to Jaylen and Tatum - that will bode well for his fit next to Ingram and Zion. Smart is a player loved by many in the NBA community for his glue guy game (intangibles, whatever you want to call it).

Boston gets Lonzo. Their PG of the future but has to eat a bad contract in Bledsoe in order to get it done and make the finances workable. Lonzo becomes a long term fixture. Bledsoe is trade fodder.
not saying I'd do that deal but NO would have to kick a first or two to make that palatable.  Kemba and Smart are our starting backcourt.  Ball isn't a scorer and Bledsoe is deadweight. 

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 10:54:59 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
i wont tell you it wont happen. but i will tell you that if it does happen the celtics become hard capped, and they would prefer not to go there.

This is not a rhetorical question: What’s the problem is they become hard-capped?

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 10:56:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

This is not a rhetorical question: What’s the problem is they become hard-capped?

My guess is something to do with the luxury tax.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 10:56:19 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Lonzo would be a nice fit imo but don’t see how it could happen.

What if they just traded Kemba/TT for Bledsoe/Adams. Cs get a solid center and a good defensive guard. Resign ET. Use other TPEs to fill out rest of roster (like Kyle Anderson).

Smart/JB/JT/Anderson/Adams

Bledsoe/Langford/ET/Timelord

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 11:00:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Cs need a microwave off the bench.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 11:05:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Kemba

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 11:19:43 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 11:23:49 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Kemba

At this point Kemba is more like your old slow grill oven.

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 11:51:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Kemba

Yeah, Kemba would work better off the bench. I was saying it all year. Then he can come in and do his thing. If he's not scoring what's he doing on the court?

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2021, 05:22:04 AM »

Offline Bostonborn62

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Hustle like Cowens or have a seat
Smart plus a pic maybe for Ball. Way to man stupid mistakes for a point guard and he thinks he's a weapon now, Ball would be a much better fit than Smart or Kemba. I know Kemba's harder to move but I would try to get other pieces we need for him.  I would move both.

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2021, 05:59:14 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

My guess is something to do with the luxury tax.

It’s a salary rule, but it’s different than the tax. With the tax, as long as you have the rights or exceptions, you can pay as much as you like. Want to pay $10 million in tax, or $50M or even $100M? There are ways that can happen. One reason we talk about maybe going deep into the tax is that the Cs have Bird rights for some expensive players and a bunch of traded player exceptions. Those (and a few other things) give the team flexibility to spend.

The hard cap is what it sounds like - hard limit a team can’t exceed no matter what. No mid-level exception, no Bird rights, no traded player exception. No nothing. Try to go above and the league disallows the trade. The hard cap is triggered if a team receives a signed and traded player (which Ball would be).

Next year, with Tatum’s big salary increase, the Cs start the year pretty close to where the hard cap will be. The analysts who follow this stuff (Smith, Karalis) say any realistic scenario that acquires Ball is hard to find, but they haven’t really shown their numbers so I can’t give chapter and verse. The gist is they might need to shed a lot of salary and at best it would seriously limit the team’s flexibility to pick up other pieces they need.