Author Topic: That JB Tweet  (Read 9834 times)

That JB Tweet
« on: June 16, 2021, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
As if the Cs did not have enough problems, Jaylen Brown tweets his preference for a black coach...maybe? Was that really necessary? I don’t think so.

Jaylen has access to Brad, and should have expressed his ‘analytics’ to Brad. I take a couple of things from the tweet.

1. Jaylen is trying to pressure the Cs into hiring a black coach. This would be unnecessary if the Cs are listening to him privately.

2. Jaylen does not respect management or the process if they have any, hence his need to go to social media.

3. Jaylen wants out of Boston because the sure fire way to get out of dodge is insubordination.

4. And this is an alternative to 3...Jaylen wants to insulate himself from being traded because the last thing Boston can do now is trade a black player for expressing an opinion about the relative efficiency of black coaches.

5. By prefacing the tweet with ‘Analytics’...Jaylen was taking a shot at Brad who we all know is a big analytics guy.

All in all..horrible tweet.

Re: That JB Tweet
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 11:37:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
While I think that the Cs should probably hire a black coach who was a former player, I agree that this was not a great tweet by Jaylen. It kind-of disrespects the only coach he has ever had in the NBA (who he's had a lot of success under), while also forcing management's hand publicly.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 11:42:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I saw the tweet and was confused about it, actually. I wasn’t sure what he was trying to get across. That the C’s should hire a black coach next? That black coaches perform better than non-black coaches?

The playoff team that looks like it has the best chances of winning it all (when healthy) is headed by a white coach (Nash) who isn’t even American (he’s Canadian). Does this mean we should look for a Canadian coach?

Off the top, I can’t tell you the current % of head coaches that are black. However, I could venture a guess that 90% of rotational players in the league are black. What does this mean? Nothing, really. I don’t think we should draft players or trade for players because they’re black. I’d trade Walker for Doncic, skin color and nationalities be danged.

So again, that tweet had me confused. I don’t understand why race needs to get brought in everything. But maybe I’m just an outsider who can’t relate.
- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Jaylen (24.7 points, 6 rebounds 3.4 assist, 1.2 steals) Brown, already a star, with real leadership potential on and off the court, can share his opinion in whatever format he likes.
The c’s would be wise to hold that opinion in high regard.

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 11:47:42 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I just took it as him promoting black coaches doing well.  I didn't really read into it that he prefers one coach or another or read it as he was taking a shot at brad. I suppose he could have been. In major sports it seems black coaches often get over looked or have a hard time getting head coaching jobs and he was just pointing out the success of these 4 coaches imo.

https://twitter.com/FCHWPO/status/1404922346822148101?s=19

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 11:51:07 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I saw the tweet and was confused about it, actually. I wasn’t sure what he was trying to get across. That the C’s should hire a black coach next? That black coaches perform better than non-black coaches?

The playoff team that looks like it has the best chances of winning it all (when healthy) is headed by a white coach (Nash) who isn’t even American (he’s Canadian). Does this mean we should look for a Canadian coach?

Off the top, I can’t tell you the current % of head coaches that are black. However, I could venture a guess that 90% of rotational players in the league are black. What does this mean? Nothing, really. I don’t think we should draft players or trade for players because they’re black. I’d trade Walker for Doncic, skin color and nationalities be danged.

So again, that tweet had me confused. I don’t understand why race needs to get brought in everything. But maybe I’m just an outsider who can’t relate.

Wait a minute. You would trade a American black player that can't play in back-to-back games because of an ongoing knee injury for a European white player, that happens to be one of the top 5 players in the world?

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 11:51:30 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
As if the Cs did not have enough problems, Jaylen Brown tweets his preference for a black coach...maybe? Was that really necessary? I don’t think so.

Jaylen has access to Brad, and should have expressed his ‘analytics’ to Brad. I take a couple of things from the tweet.

1. Jaylen is trying to pressure the Cs into hiring a black coach. This would be unnecessary if the Cs are listening to him privately.

2. Jaylen does not respect management or the process if they have any, hence his need to go to social media.

3. Jaylen wants out of Boston because the sure fire way to get out of dodge is insubordination.

4. And this is an alternative to 3...Jaylen wants to insulate himself from being traded because the last thing Boston can do now is trade a black player for expressing an opinion about the relative efficiency of black coaches.

5. By prefacing the tweet with ‘Analytics’...Jaylen was taking a shot at Brad who we all know is a big analytics guy.

All in all..horrible tweet.

It's possible your searching for a subtext that may not exist. It could be as simple as Jaylen pointing out that black coaches in the league are proving to be just as effective as white coaches. Not everything needs to be indicative of a rift between Jaylen and management.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 11:52:51 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I just took it as him promoting black coaches doing well.  I didn't really read into it that he prefers one coach or another or read it as he was taking a shot at brad. I suppose he could have been. In major sports it seems black coaches often get over looked or have a hard time getting head coaching jobs and he was just pointing out the success of these 4 coaches imo.

https://twitter.com/FCHWPO/status/1404922346822148101?s=19

That's my take as well.  I don't think he was trying to influence Celtic's decision. He and Brad already spoke, and am sure he let his feelings known to Brad privately. Brad probably indicated the type of candidate they were zeroing in on, and that list probably had mostly/exclusively African American names on it.  More of speaking of pride of AA coaches doing well in the playoffs. 

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
This s*** is why I hate twitter.  One 14-word message is extrapolated as pressure on the organization, disrespect, insubordination, a desire to be traded, manipulation, and a shot at his former coach. 

Come on. 

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 11:56:22 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Think of all the money he's saving against renting a billboard.

My opinion remains the same in both circumstances. I have feelings one way or another about the fact that Jaylen has an opinion about who the new Celtics' head coach should be (in fact it would be weird if he didn't), but I'm not optimistic it's going to spur any productive conversations around the fandom.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Jaylen (24.7 points, 6 rebounds 3.4 assist, 1.2 steals) Brown, already a star, with real leadership potential on and off the court, can share his opinion in whatever format he likes.

That's the thing - it isn't really an opinion, it is one fact of a somewhat cryptic nature leading us to guess what he really means. I totally agree with Atzar above.

Jaylen might be the most eloquent speaker in the NBA today - I'd sure like to hear his expanded views on the subject, not just a tweet.

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 12:10:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I didnt like that tweet from Brown either

Isnt suppose to be ability vs color or gender? 

Jaylen Brown tweet paints a picture that black coaches are better than white or asian coaches etc.?

Dont forget also this incident

"Kyrie got a lot of the blame and was undeserving. It wasn't his fault that certain guys couldn't take a step back. It wasn't his fault. That was the front office and the coach's fault."

I didnt like this comment by Brown.   Happened after he signed his major deal also. 

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2021, 12:12:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
He's entitled to his opinion and he's allowed to tweet what he wants. I'm sure Brad will take his opinion and those of many others under consideration before making a decision. It's ultimately Brad's decision and I'm sure that JB will respect the decision whatever it is.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 12:14:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's entitled to his opinion and he's allowed to tweet what he wants. I'm sure Brad will take his opinion and those of many others under consideration before making a decision. It's ultimately Brad's decision and I'm sure that JB will respect the decision whatever it is.

Not banking on it

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 12:18:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

That's the thing - it isn't really an opinion, it is one fact of a somewhat cryptic nature leading us to guess what he really means. I totally agree with Atzar above.

Jaylen might be the most eloquent speaker in the NBA today - I'd sure like to hear his expanded views on the subject, not just a tweet.

Eloquent, yes.  But bad speller ("Led" not "Lead").