Author Topic: That JB Tweet  (Read 9826 times)

Re: That JB Tweet
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2021, 08:06:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So again, that tweet had me confused. I don’t understand why race needs to get brought in everything. But maybe I’m just an outsider who can’t relate.

Context:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31024144/an-nba-double-standard-hindering-black-head-coach-candidates

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nba-has-lost-ground-on-hiring-and-retaining-black-coaches/amp/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2021, 08:27:04 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
So again, that tweet had me confused. I don’t understand why race needs to get brought in everything. But maybe I’m just an outsider who can’t relate.

Context:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31024144/an-nba-double-standard-hindering-black-head-coach-candidates

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-nba-has-lost-ground-on-hiring-and-retaining-black-coaches/amp/

I kind of like the NBA expanding the pool of candidates with non-NBA experience candidates.

…you should be looking for best fit regardless.

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2021, 08:53:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This woke crap is really turning me off from the league

I generally agree. I just don’t think that this is “woke crap” in this instance.

For a very long time, African-Americans have been under represented in the coaching ranks, at least in relation to the percentage of African-American players. I just don’t see an objection to JB being proud that black coaches are having success.

Under represented? 6% of the population makes up close to 90% of NBA players. But when it comes to that it’s all merit? I don’t understand this logic. Isn’t it possible that the best coaches just happen to be white?
Wow. This is wrong on so many levels.

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2021, 12:57:28 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Now that is what i call racism

Imagine if Luka Doncic had a black coach and tweeted he wants a white one.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2021, 01:14:25 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He does have a white coach. Does that mean if we have something that's happening you should change the facts to other facts and say it's the same thing though one is a real situation and one is a made-up thing to  try to make a point you don
't have?

How mnay Tommy points for writing that on and Ambien? ??? ???
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 01:28:08 AM by liam »

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2021, 02:59:19 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • The Truth

He does have a white coach. Does that mean if we have something that's happening you should change the facts to other facts and say it's the same thing though one is a real situation and one is a made-up thing to  try to make a point you don
't have?

How mnay Tommy points for writing that on and Ambien? ??? ???

Your post left me very confused, but why do you think I don’t have a point?

Dude flat out said that he wants a coach based on skin color. Just sayin it works both ways.

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2021, 05:18:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Part of me think it is the best way to counter the Kyrie narrative more than fulfilling Brown's wishes.

I think Brown is allowed to have his opinion.  I don't think it was racist.  Yes, if someone said the opposite about a white coach, people would explode but isn't that world we live in these days.  Double standards are often the norm.     This did not bother me, he has every right to have his own thoughts and should be able to verbalize them.  Be honest was this offensive?   

I don't think they are just going to go find any black woman off the street and make them the head coach.

I did not think that needed to be statement but my comments were directed to the "we need to make a statement crowd"

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2021, 07:24:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Dude flat out said that he wants a coach based on skin color.

Link?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2021, 08:22:33 AM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
He's entitled to his opinion and he's allowed to tweet what he wants. I'm sure Brad will take his opinion and those of many others under consideration before making a decision. It's ultimately Brad's decision and I'm sure that JB will respect the decision whatever it is.

No.  You are only entitled to politically correct opinions, however hypocritical they are.  JB is trending Kryie. 

If Luka tweeted 'Analyitics - last 46 of 50 NBA champions were coached by white guy' while Mavs were in middle of coaching search - nobody would be just like well that his just his opinion and he just wants someone that can relate to him.  This excuse making for JB is gross.  Clear double standard and why all this focus on race and gender is not moving this country in a positive direction. 

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2021, 08:31:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He's entitled to his opinion and he's allowed to tweet what he wants. I'm sure Brad will take his opinion and those of many others under consideration before making a decision. It's ultimately Brad's decision and I'm sure that JB will respect the decision whatever it is.

No.  You are only entitled to politically correct opinions, however hypocritical they are.  JB is trending Kryie. 

If Luka tweeted 'Analyitics - last 46 of 50 NBA champions were coached by white guy' while Mavs were in middle of coaching search - nobody would be just like well that his just his opinion and he just wants someone that can relate to him.  This excuse making for JB is gross.  Clear double standard and why all this focus on race and gender is not moving this country in a positive direction.

There is a double standard.  Another double standard is that white professional coaching candidates have never been excluded from jobs simply due to their skin color.

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2021, 08:39:42 AM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49

There is a double standard.  Another double standard is that white professional coaching candidates have never been excluded from jobs simply due to their skin color.

So to get even you approve of discriminating based on skin color.  Pick a lane, Its either a problem or it isnt.   In 2021 the best coach will get the job - unless a racist like JB says he wants a black one.

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2021, 08:46:38 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Yes there is a double standard, but you have the intersection where 80% of the players are black and 80% of the coaches are white, so perhaps a bit of graciousness here is warranted.

The tweet could easily be a less literal form of "I just want to point out that due to the sport's makeup, there should be more black head coaches. Team management should note that the black coaches that are given a chance succeed."

There are definitely statements made by people who believe strongly in an anti-racist stance that only make things worse and cause more resentment. I just don't see how this particular statement falls into that category.

« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2021, 08:50:46 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

I would say that if Luka tweeted that, he should consider taking a stats class.  I suspect a proportion of 0.92 is not significantly different from the population proportion of white coaches over the last 50 years.  If anything, it might be lower than the population proportion.

« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

Definitely not a clear double standard bc you're leaving out the social context. A better comparison is hypothetically after white players win consecutive dunk contests Luka tweeted Analytics: last 3 out of 4 dunk champs were white. Maybe white guys can jump." That would be received very similar to JB's tweet imo bc it is showing evidence that a negative racial stereotype is incorrect. Your example of Luka pointing out whites are doing better as coaches is reinforcing a negative stereotype. See the difference?

Another example would be 20 yrs from now the same tweet is made about multiple woman head coaches leading playoff teams. It wouldn't be sexism in that future time but rather pointing out that the concerns/stereotypes about a woman being able to be successful leaders of young men was incorrect based on the evidence.

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2021, 09:15:15 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • The Truth
I want to aplogize for my posts earlier, saying that jaylen sad he wants a black coach, when in fact he only pointes out the success the black coaches have in the current playoff situation. I was miss led by some comments, thought that he made some comments in the comment section of the tweet, but there was nothing wrong with the tweet itself.