Author Topic: That JB Tweet  (Read 9716 times)

Re: That JB Tweet
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2021, 05:48:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Maybe Brown doesn't like Brad's analytics approach.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2021, 05:52:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
As if the Cs did not have enough problems, Jaylen Brown tweets his preference for a black coach...maybe? Was that really necessary? I don’t think so.

Jaylen has access to Brad, and should have expressed his ‘analytics’ to Brad. I take a couple of things from the tweet.

1. Jaylen is trying to pressure the Cs into hiring a black coach. This would be unnecessary if the Cs are listening to him privately.

2. Jaylen does not respect management or the process if they have any, hence his need to go to social media.

3. Jaylen wants out of Boston because the sure fire way to get out of dodge is insubordination.

4. And this is an alternative to 3...Jaylen wants to insulate himself from being traded because the last thing Boston can do now is trade a black player for expressing an opinion about the relative efficiency of black coaches.

5. By prefacing the tweet with ‘Analytics’...Jaylen was taking a shot at Brad who we all know is a big analytics guy.

All in all..horrible tweet.

It's incredibly sad that the only stuff your brain conjures makes Brown look like a bad guy.

Dunno why you think negative like that. You could just as easily have come up with equally viable positive imaginations.

You might want to look into Hanlon's Razor.

I could use a good razor.

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2021, 05:54:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If the Celts hire a very good coach but not black

over/under Brown resigns with the Celtics after current contract?

He played hard and resigned under Brad.  Why would this be different?

The guy noted that black coaches are equally as successful as white coaches.  I’m not sure why that’s controversial.

That 1st big contract after rookie contract =  meal ticket to $$$.  major leagues

most rookies ... even if they dislike their team/management/owner/city.... signs that deal

But now that Brown has signed that deal and has lived up to the hype (strong play on the court)

He has the luxury to join another team when this contract is up

If he doesn't like the direction the Celtics org is taking...why would he stay??

In the law, trial lawyers have a common objection that they can make to an opposing counsel’s question: “Assumes facts not in evidence”.

Isn’t that what you are doing? There is absolutely nothing to suggest that JB doesn’t like the direction the Celtics are going in.

and where exactly did he say black coaches were equal to white coaches?

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the Celts hire a very good coach but not black

over/under Brown resigns with the Celtics after current contract?

He played hard and resigned under Brad.  Why would this be different?

The guy noted that black coaches are equally as successful as white coaches.  I’m not sure why that’s controversial.

That 1st big contract after rookie contract =  meal ticket to $$$.  major leagues

most rookies ... even if they dislike their team/management/owner/city.... signs that deal

But now that Brown has signed that deal and has lived up to the hype (strong play on the court)

He has the luxury to join another team when this contract is up

If he doesn't like the direction the Celtics org is taking...why would he stay??

In the law, trial lawyers have a common objection that they can make to an opposing counsel’s question: “Assumes facts not in evidence”.

Isn’t that what you are doing? There is absolutely nothing to suggest that JB doesn’t like the direction the Celtics are going in.

and where exactly did he say black coaches were equal to white coaches?

As I wrote, he “noted” that fact by providing statistics.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2021, 05:58:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Jaylen (24.7 points, 6 rebounds 3.4 assist, 1.2 steals) Brown, already a star, with real leadership potential on and off the court, can share his opinion in whatever format he likes.
The c’s would be wise to hold that opinion in high regard.

That's the thing - it isn't really an opinion, it is one fact of a somewhat cryptic nature leading us to guess what he really means. I totally agree with Atzar above.

Jaylen might be the most eloquent speaker in the NBA today - I'd sure like to hear his expanded views on the subject, not just a tweet.

Eloquent, yes.  But bad speller ("Led" not "Lead").

Hahh!   This is what I was going to say.  It is one of the most annoying and most common misspells.   LED not LEAD!   It's an easy one to correct -- come on Jaylen. 

Lead paint.   He led us to victory.   

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2021, 06:10:38 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
<<<<<<sigh>>>>>>

The stuff people are reading into innocuous tweets and billboard signs is off the charts. Sorry people, but most of the time, things mean exactly what they say and there is no secret agenda or demands for action written in invisible ink between the lines.

It’s clear that our off-season has started and people need something to gossip about.  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2021, 06:13:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
As if the Cs did not have enough problems, Jaylen Brown tweets his preference for a black coach...maybe? Was that really necessary? I don’t think so.

Jaylen has access to Brad, and should have expressed his ‘analytics’ to Brad. I take a couple of things from the tweet.

1. Jaylen is trying to pressure the Cs into hiring a black coach. This would be unnecessary if the Cs are listening to him privately.

2. Jaylen does not respect management or the process if they have any, hence his need to go to social media.

3. Jaylen wants out of Boston because the sure fire way to get out of dodge is insubordination.

4. And this is an alternative to 3...Jaylen wants to insulate himself from being traded because the last thing Boston can do now is trade a black player for expressing an opinion about the relative efficiency of black coaches.

5. By prefacing the tweet with ‘Analytics’...Jaylen was taking a shot at Brad who we all know is a big analytics guy.

It's incredibly sad that the only stuff your brain conjures makes Brown look like a bad guy.

Dunno why you think negative like that. You could just as easily have come up with equally viable positive imaginations.

Please come up with the positives. Thanks!!

He made a racial tweet. Any other race making that tweet in any other industry will be a problem. He could have praised those coaches for their achievement and black pride without prefacing it with ‘Analytics’. With how smart y’all say Brown is, you have assume he knew exactly what he was doing.

Analytics is the science of logical decision making. His team is in the process of hiring a coach. So Brown pointing out the racial composition of the last 7 coaches means what? And why make it public. What if Brad came out with advances analytics that shows the opposite? Have we not been trying to debunk the idea of race-based superiority? Why it okay for him to do it?

How does his tweet advance race relations?

« Reply #67 on: June 16, 2021, 06:14:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
<<<<<<sigh>>>>>>

The stuff people are reading into innocuous tweets and billboard signs is off the charts. Sorry people, but most of the time, things mean exactly what they say and there is no secret agenda or demands for action written in invisible ink between the lines.

It’s clear that our off-season has started and people need something to gossip about.  :police:

Except gossip usually at least has some basis in truth.  Here, it’s purely fictional projections.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: June 16, 2021, 06:18:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
This woke crap is really turning me off from the league

I generally agree. I just don’t think that this is “woke crap” in this instance.

For a very long time, African-Americans have been under represented in the coaching ranks, at least in relation to the percentage of African-American players. I just don’t see an objection to JB being proud that black coaches are having success.

Under represented? 6% of the population makes up close to 90% of NBA players. But when it comes to that it’s all merit? I don’t understand this logic. Isn’t it possible that the best coaches just happen to be white?

I don't think that the pool that generates NBA coaches is the population at large.  NBA coaches exclusively emerge from a pool of skilled basketball players , virtually all at least collegiate level players (even Stan Van Gundy was a DIII college player). Many are former NBA players.   If that pool is mostly black it would seem that something would have to be at work to explain why coaches and management is mostly white.  I think it is not only "merit" at play -- but perhaps a myriad of other variables.   This all leads to the suggestion that all factors being relatively equal, maybe it's time for more blacks to get the opportunity.   

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2021, 06:21:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He made a racial tweet. Any other race making that tweet in any other industry will be a problem. He could have praised those coaches for their achievement and black pride without prefacing it with ‘Analytics’. With how smart y’all say Brown is, you have assume he knew exactly what he was doing.

Analytics is the science of logical decision making. His team is in the process of hiring a coach. So Brown pointing out the racial composition of the last 7 coaches means what? And why make it public. What if Brad came out with advances analytics that shows the opposite? Have we not been trying to debunk the idea of race-based superiority? Why it okay for him to do it?

His tweet shows that teams coached by blacks have been roughly equal to teams coached by whites. 

Where’s all the racial fear coming from?  OMG, Jaylen tweeted something positive about black coaches!  He’s undercutting the team and is a diva!  He’ll leave!  Whites happen to make the best coaches, so shut up and dribble!

Can we just skip all the nuance and go straight to “they’re coming for our women”?  Because I’m seeing the same race-based insecurities all through this thread.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 06:45:06 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »

Kiorrik

No - I won't.

Because I'm genuinely worried you can't do it yourself. And I want to find out if you can.

In order to assess peoples intent, you'd have to at least be able to come up with as many good-natured as bad-natured intents.

Unless of course you're sitting on evidence that Brown's inherently evil.

Anyone can slander. I could write a topic called "That Ogaju Topic" where I outline in 5 different scenarios how you're trying to make Brown look like a bad guy.

There's a reason I don't. It's the same reason I didn't create a topic "That JB Tweet" outlining 5 different scenarios in which Brown is trying to undermine Brad and/or the Celtics.

Because we can't just randomly assume things and present them as facts, or as the only options.

« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I saw the tweet and was confused about it, actually. I wasn’t sure what he was trying to get across. That the C’s should hire a black coach next? That black coaches perform better than non-black coaches?

The playoff team that looks like it has the best chances of winning it all (when healthy) is headed by a white coach (Nash) who isn’t even American (he’s Canadian). Does this mean we should look for a Canadian coach?

Off the top, I can’t tell you the current % of head coaches that are black. However, I could venture a guess that 90% of rotational players in the league are black. What does this mean? Nothing, really. I don’t think we should draft players or trade for players because they’re black. I’d trade Walker for Doncic, skin color and nationalities be danged.

So again, that tweet had me confused. I don’t understand why race needs to get brought in everything. But maybe I’m just an outsider who can’t relate.

I agree. 

And to your point; the only thing that should ideally matter is - 1) X/Os knowledge 2) ability to Communicate and relate

….Next thing you know Gianis demanding for a Greek coach

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2021, 07:59:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am fine with having a black head coach and woman head coach as long as they can coach but that should not be the sole reason someone is hired.

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2021, 08:00:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I am fine with having a black head coach and woman head coach as long as they can coach but that should not be the sole reason someone is hired.

I don't think they are just going to go find any black woman off the street and make them the head coach.

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2021, 08:01:21 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I saw the tweet and was confused about it, actually. I wasn’t sure what he was trying to get across. That the C’s should hire a black coach next? That black coaches perform better than non-black coaches?

The playoff team that looks like it has the best chances of winning it all (when healthy) is headed by a white coach (Nash) who isn’t even American (he’s Canadian). Does this mean we should look for a Canadian coach?

Off the top, I can’t tell you the current % of head coaches that are black. However, I could venture a guess that 90% of rotational players in the league are black. What does this mean? Nothing, really. I don’t think we should draft players or trade for players because they’re black. I’d trade Walker for Doncic, skin color and nationalities be danged.

So again, that tweet had me confused. I don’t understand why race needs to get brought in everything. But maybe I’m just an outsider who can’t relate.

I agree. 

And to your point; the only thing that should ideally matter is - 1) X/Os knowledge 2) ability to Communicate and relate

….Next thing you know Gianis demanding for a Greek coach

Having said that, I do have CBillups high in my preference for next coach.