Author Topic: That JB Tweet  (Read 9822 times)

Re: That JB Tweet
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2021, 12:46:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
There's nothing wrong with the tweet. There's a lot wrong with the posts inferring something that's not there.
Jaylen is not necessarily wrong. In fact he makes a good point. But in the context of where his team is right now - a key point in determining its future success - it was a terrible public comment to make. It can easily be perceived as a slap at Stevens and Ainge - and by extension Celtics ownership.
What is the good point?  And how is it a good point when 4 of 4 of the finals coaches in last year's playoffs were white?
I think the league does have too many white coaches - too many guys who haven't played the game at the highest level. I'm not talking about head coaches - look at the staffs.  If I'm a player I'm going to take with a grain of salt, advice from some guy who's played as high as high school or maybe div 3 college.

Also the front offices are also too white.  Why do these guys seem to get a leg up over black candidates - there are lots of reasons for that. 

It's not a situation that's going to change quickly - but it probably needs to change.  This all said, Jaylen is really tossing Brad under the bus - and it's really not in the best interest of the team that's paying him a now massive salary - to do that.

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2021, 12:48:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Good for Jaylen.

He's using his platform and influence to try to get more black men into positions of leadership in a league whose popularity and success is built on black players, and which historically has had mostly white coaches.

Guess what?

Brad needs to take this seriously, because keeping your stars happy is one of the biggest jobs of a GM, and Jaylen has made his preference clear.

Dont worry he will hire Jay Larranaga

I mean from the rumor mill... Celts have interviewed and will interview .... 90 percent are black candidates

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2021, 12:49:07 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Brown made himself look like a punk and a clown, again.

Worry about improving your game and leave the coach hiring to the adults.

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2021, 12:49:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Kara Lawson?

Between this and the billboard, I guess we are left with only one option at this point. At least she’s a solid one

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2021, 12:54:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Brown made himself look like a punk and a clown, again.

Worry about improving your game and leave the coach hiring to the adults.

I’m not sure that’s who’s made themselves look clownish today.

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Kara Lawson?

Between this and the billboard, I guess we are left with only one option at this point. At least she’s a solid one

I'm intrigued by Kara, based upon word of mouth and you tube inspirational talks. But she has basically zero head coaching experience anywhere (other than a few games as rookie coach at Duke womens).  She served as Celtic assistant coach for only one year, and had no other coaching experience prior to that anywhere to my knowledge.

What exactly makes her a solid candidate? An out of the box, interesting one, absolutely. A solid candidate though, Jabr?

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
There's nothing wrong with the tweet. There's a lot wrong with the posts inferring something that's not there.
This

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 01:06:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Kara Lawson?

I'm intrigued by Kara, based upon word of mouth and you tube inspirational talks. But she has basically zero head coaching experience anywhere (other than a few games as rookie coach at Duke womens).  She served as Celtic assistant coach for only one year, and had no other coaching experience prior to that anywhere to my knowledge.

What exactly makes her a solid candidate? An out of the box, interesting one, absolutely. A solid candidate though, Jabr?

Brad let her run practice

She is a WNBA champion and has been coached by some of the best basketball minds

I'm sure her Xs and Os are also sound

If Xs and Os and strategy is all that mattered.... Brad would have a few rings by now

NBA coach needs to also connect on a spiritual level and help prepare their players to be the best as an individual and 5 man unit on the floor

Listening to Lawson speeches on youtube....   I bet half of the NBA coaches can't produce those messages.   

Look at the New York Islanders (NHL).  With their previous coach...they were just ok. Middle of the pack.   Decent talent

With Trotz....he has made the team buy into... "run through the wall for your team" mentality.  Pretty much the same guys on the roster but with a different mindset.   

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Or possibly something is there...don't forget words mean stuff.

Yeah, words definitely mean stuff.  I think these words mean that 4 out of 7 black coaches are still in the playoffs compared with 3 of 23 non-black coaches, and the subtext is that black coaches should get far more consideration for head coaching jobs than they do.
Logged back in to give this a TP

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
He's entitled to his opinion and he's allowed to tweet what he wants. I'm sure Brad will take his opinion and those of many others under consideration before making a decision. It's ultimately Brad's decision and I'm sure that JB will respect the decision whatever it is.

Not banking on it

Well, one person has to be in charge and it's not going to be Jaylen, that's for sure. There's a command structure for a reason  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
This s*** is why I hate twitter.  One 14-word message is extrapolated as pressure on the organization, disrespect, insubordination, a desire to be traded, manipulation, and a shot at his former coach. 

Come on.

It's amazing isn't it.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2021, 01:24:30 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
This s*** is why I hate twitter.  One 14-word message is extrapolated as pressure on the organization, disrespect, insubordination, a desire to be traded, manipulation, and a shot at his former coach. 

Come on.

It's amazing isn't it.
And to this I would ask, how do you know what he meant?  If all we have are those words to go on, they can be perceived a lot of ways - one of which is throwing his organization under the bus. 

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 01:26:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Come on.

It's amazing isn't it.
And to this I would ask, how do you know what he meant?  If all we have are those words to go on, they can be perceived a lot of ways - one of which is throwing his organization under the bus.

Not all perceptions are valid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 01:34:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If the Celts hire a very good coach but not black

over/under Brown resigns with the Celtics after current contract? 

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2021, 01:51:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the Celts hire a very good coach but not black

over/under Brown resigns with the Celtics after current contract?

He played hard and resigned under Brad.  Why would this be different?

The guy noted that black coaches are equally as successful as white coaches.  I’m not sure why that’s controversial.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes