Author Topic: That JB Tweet  (Read 9829 times)

Re: That JB Tweet
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2021, 12:20:34 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Jaylen (24.7 points, 6 rebounds 3.4 assist, 1.2 steals) Brown, already a star, with real leadership potential on and off the court, can share his opinion in whatever format he likes.
The c’s would be wise to hold that opinion in high regard.

That's the thing - it isn't really an opinion, it is one fact of a somewhat cryptic nature leading us to guess what he really means. I totally agree with Atzar above.

Jaylen might be the most eloquent speaker in the NBA today - I'd sure like to hear his expanded views on the subject, not just a tweet.
Agreed.
Now I read the tweet after reading the OP. Wasn’t sure I was looking at the right tweet. Still not sure how the OP could read so much into it.

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It doesn’t really bother me. Maybe I am naïve, but I didn’t see his tweet as demanding we hire a black coach. Rather, I think that he was pushing back against the stereotype that black coaches aren’t as successful as white ones.  I think that his interest extends beyond the Celtics here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2021, 12:20:57 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Jaylen (24.7 points, 6 rebounds 3.4 assist, 1.2 steals) Brown, already a star, with real leadership potential on and off the court, can share his opinion in whatever format he likes.

That's the thing - it isn't really an opinion, it is one fact of a somewhat cryptic nature leading us to guess what he really means. I totally agree with Atzar above.

Jaylen might be the most eloquent speaker in the NBA today - I'd sure like to hear his expanded views on the subject, not just a tweet.

He can share his opinion in whatever format but his position on the team suggests it will be subject to more scrutiny just like his tweet drew a response from Rozier. To whom much is given, much is expected. Jaylen Brown is highly respected in the NBA, his tweets ‘moves markets’. Ask Oprah about her opinion on beef. To whom much is given, much is expected.

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2021, 12:28:19 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
C's should just hire Jaylen as Player/Coach...I mean we won a Championship with Russell as player coach....Jaylen is the smartest player in the league. Do it.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2021, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
He's entitled to his opinion and he's allowed to tweet what he wants. I'm sure Brad will take his opinion and those of many others under consideration before making a decision. It's ultimately Brad's decision and I'm sure that JB will respect the decision whatever it is.

Not banking on it
This coaching hire is becoming a can of worms and Jaylen has now opened it up. Puts Brad in a very tough position because you're asking him to improve the team and you're handcuffing him.  Colleges do this all the time with coaches saying we need you to win but you have to do it 'our way' meaning only recruit the 'right' kids  (see BC, Northwestern, Vanderbilt etc).

It doesn't work.  You pay someone (Brad) to do a job, you need to trust him to do it.  Jaylen is a player.  But that's where today's NBA is heading and I think it sucks.  Not a fan of it - at all.

So bottom line, Wyc is probably going to need to make a call.  He's essentially going to have to hire the coach.

For the first time, I would consider moving Jaylen.  This is not an atmosphere primed to have any real success - just looking at it like I'd look at a business.  The odds are starting to favor this whole thing falling apart.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2021, 12:29:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Kara Lawson?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2021, 12:30:54 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Agreed.
Now I read the tweet after reading the OP. Wasn’t sure I was looking at the right tweet. Still not sure how the OP could read so much into it.
It is just a stupid tweet.  Leading it off with "Analytics" makes him seem like an idiot. 
And what if a white player correctly tweeted back "Analytics: All 4 of the coaches in the ECF and WCF for the last playoffs were white".  How quick would that tweet be labeled racist? 

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2021, 12:31:38 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
There's nothing wrong with the tweet. There's a lot wrong with the posts inferring something that's not there.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2021, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
C's should just hire Jaylen as Player/Coach...I mean we won a Championship with Russell as player coach....Jaylen is the smartest player in the league. Do it.

Better yet, ban whites from viewing or participating in the game entirely. Naturally the remaining player would have to except a pay cut...I'm sure they'd be fine with that.

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
There's nothing wrong with the tweet. There's a lot wrong with the posts inferring something that's not there.

Or possibly something is there...don't forget words mean stuff.

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 12:36:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

TP

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 12:37:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Jaylen is not necessarily wrong. In fact he makes a good point. But in the context of where his team is right now - a key point in determining its future success - it was a terrible public comment to make. It can easily be perceived as a slap at Stevens and Ainge - and by extension Celtics ownership.

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 12:40:17 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Jaylen is not necessarily wrong. In fact he makes a good point. But in the context of where his team is right now - a key point in determining its future success - it was a terrible public comment to make. It can easily be perceived as a slap at Stevens and Ainge - and by extension Celtics ownership.
What is the good point?  And how is it a good point when 4 of 4 of the finals coaches in last year's playoffs were white? 

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 12:41:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Good for Jaylen.

He's using his platform and influence to try to get more black men into positions of leadership in a league whose popularity and success is built on black players, and which historically has had mostly white coaches.

Guess what?

Brad needs to take this seriously, because keeping your stars happy is one of the biggest jobs of a GM, and Jaylen has made his preference clear.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 12:43:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Or possibly something is there...don't forget words mean stuff.

Yeah, words definitely mean stuff.  I think these words mean that 4 out of 7 black coaches are still in the playoffs compared with 3 of 23 non-black coaches, and the subtext is that black coaches should get far more consideration for head coaching jobs than they do.