Author Topic: If We JKJB, How Do We Improve By JKJB?  (Read 2831 times)

Re: If We JKJB, How Do We Improve By JKJB?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2021, 10:41:32 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
We've seen some pretty amazing individual development from Brown and Tatum the last 2 seasons. I think now that they've reached these levels, we're going to see some team development from them. A new coach with a new system is going to help that, giving them a new context in which to apply what they've learned and accomplished as individuals.

If Kemba, Fournier, and Timelord can stay healthy with Smart, Thompson, and the young wings contributing... That team can contend.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 02:38:54 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2021, 01:14:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the two options are

(a) Wait until free agency 2023, preserve cap space (meaning either let Smart / Rob / Fournier walk or else trade them before summer 2023), and go after a big name free agent

or

(b) hope that one of these young guys we're taking in the mid-late 1st round turns into a surprise top 30-50 player

I don't think that trading Jaylen to get someone better is really going to vault the Celts into contention if it means they still have just two key players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 01:52:02 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

(a) Wait until free agency 2023, preserve cap space (meaning either let Smart / Rob / Fournier walk or else trade them before summer 2023), and go after a big name free agent

or

(b) hope that one of these young guys we're taking in the mid-late 1st round turns into a surprise top 30-50 player

I don't think that trading Jaylen to get someone better is really going to vault the Celts into contention if it means they still have just two key players.
THIS

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 02:15:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

or

If the person is better than Brown, then I do think Boston might have a real shot at multi-year contention, especially if Tatum continues his upward trajectory.  That would mean two borderline top 10 players (or maybe even a borderline top 5 guy).  That is generally good enough if you have some respectable role players around them. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

or

If the person is better than Brown, then I do think Boston might have a real shot at multi-year contention, especially if Tatum continues his upward trajectory.  That would mean two borderline top 10 players (or maybe even a borderline top 5 guy).  That is generally good enough if you have some respectable role players around them.

That might be tougher than it sounds. I think Brown is a top 30 player. If we're looking for a player who is better by a significant enough margin to make the C's better just by swapping him out for Brown, we're talking someone in the top 10-15, probably right?

And when we're talking about those guys, we're probably looking for a disgruntled star who has asked out.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482

or

That might be tougher than it sounds. I think Brown is a top 30 player. If we're looking for a player who is better by a significant enough margin to make the C's better just by swapping him out for Brown, we're talking someone in the top 10-15, probably right?

And when we're talking about those guys, we're probably looking for a disgruntled star who has asked out.

Who is this player that is going to provide you a lot more than Brown [25/6/3, shooting 40% from 3, that is matching up with Tatum's age, that makes 25/26 mil]?
Other GM's would be salivating to get Brown and his production with his contract.

I don't think it is clear yet how to find a true 3rd piece to pair with JT/JB, but it probably involves having some patience, holding onto Kemba for at least a year, and having another year of improvement of JT/JB.  All 3 of those things are probably the last things a lot of people on this board want to hear.  But it is probably the smartest way forward.

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 05:24:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

or

Who is this player that is going to provide you a lot more than Brown [25/6/3, shooting 40% from 3, that is matching up with Tatum's age, that makes 25/26 mil]?
Other GM's would be salivating to get Brown and his production with his contract.

I don't think it is clear yet how to find a true 3rd piece to pair with JT/JB, but it probably involves having some patience, holding onto Kemba for at least a year, and having another year of improvement of JT/JB.  All 3 of those things are probably the last things a lot of people on this board want to hear.  But it is probably the smartest way forward.

Yeah, I do t wanna deal a brown either a d I keep hearing how the Jays take turns and have no chemistry but when Hayward was here we had like the most efficient offense ever or something, didn’t we?
  To me that worked great. We were winning . We could have used health and a couple role player upgrades but we were there.
  Do I think it’s already proven it’s a non issue of these two guys playing together. Just need the 3rd guy to be a stud facilitator.

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 05:25:59 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

or

I agree with this, yeah. Would seem this would be the likely situation .