Author Topic: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.  (Read 14553 times)

Re: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2021, 04:42:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This thread could turn into a bashing of Jason Kidd thread and I'm all in favor of that. He's probably the one guy (ok there's probably more) that I do not want coaching the team.

I saw a rumor that Orlando is all-in on him. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2021, 04:46:11 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
This thread could turn into a bashing of Jason Kidd thread and I'm all in favor of that. He's probably the one guy (ok there's probably more) that I do not want coaching the team.

perfect!

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2021, 04:52:23 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

perfect!

absolutely

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2021, 04:56:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Man this just reeks of misogyny . We fans don't know anything about any of the candidates. How do you know Chauncey will be a good coach but Kara won't? The actual only difference you bring up is gender. You've even compared soft spokenness to being female. Just a yikes for me on this one.

Edited: Word choice.

Yikes all you all you like. Throw in a big yikes. Note though that I did not bring up gender, the billboard did.

The person who wrote the billboard wants the team to 'shake things up' and demands them to hire one of the 2 women candidates. I'd argue that Hammon is closer in experience to Sam Cassel than she is to Lawson since she's been in the NBA coaching system for the better part of a decade and Lawson spent 1 year with the Celtics before taking the Duke job but the person who wrote the billboard wants either Lawson or Hammon.

How do you know Chauncey will be a good coach but Kara won't?

I know Chauncey has lead a locker room and has been a part of NBA finals teams. I've heard that he's universally respected among NBA circles. I know very little about Kara Lawson since she hasn't done anything yet.

You've even compared soft spokenness to being female.

Have you heard Becky Hammon speak? She is soft spoken just like Brad is soft spoken. Eric Spoelstra is soft spoken and he's won titles. I haven't heard Kara Lawson speak much so I am not sure either way. Since we went through all of the trouble to change the front office structure though I think it would be beneficial to hire a coach who is not like the last coach.
Kara Lawson played college ball for one of the most legendary basketball coaches ever in Pat Summit.  She was then the 5th pick in the WNBA draft, won a WNBA title, won an Olympic Gold Medal (leading scorer in the Gold Medal game), and played professionally at the highest level for 13 years.  She then went into broadcasting for a couple of years before joining the Celtics as an assistant coach working closely with Smart before landing the Duke head coaching job.  She has just as much, if not more, qualifications than Cassell or Billups and unlike those two, has actually worked with the Celtics.
Cassell has been an assistant coach since 2009 so he has more experience than Lawson or Hammons. 

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2021, 04:59:09 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
So tired of the woke crowd claiming discrimination because they are females. It’s called discrimination because neither has been a head coach in the NBA. Let me repeat that, neither have coached a single game in the NBA.

Get outta here with the constant racial undertone thing.

By this logic we shouldn't be looking at Sam Cassell or Chauncey Billups and we shouldn't have hired Brad Stevens.

Curious to know who your preferred head coach is, given that you don't want someone who hasn't been an NBA head coach before.

I believe I have seen Becky coach an nba game.

When Pops got ejected? Hardly qualifies.

And to the other posters saying well then Chauncey Billups or Sam Cassell shouldn’t get a look either based on the logic of my original post because they haven’t coached in the NBA, I completely and utterly agree. I want neither.

Which re-thread do you want?

Jason Kidd.

He is a previous coach, was a 9x All Defensive Team (and this team needs to emphasize defense moving forward), Hall of fame player, and 2x Gold medalist in the Olympics.

Seems qualified to me.

What aspects of his stints in Brooklyn and Milwaukee appeal to you?  He had considerable talent in both situations and results were underwhelming.  Sure, Giannis reportedly fought to keep him, but he strikes me as guy that is loyal across the board.

I'm am not a fan of Jason Kidd the coach.

I'm not a fan of Jason Kidd the person. Nevermind the fact, after '02 & '03,  I never want him involved with the Celtics organization.

Agreed!

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2021, 05:14:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So I don't get the problems that some have over this billboard. The people who bought the billboard want one of two highly qualified people to get the job. Are those two candidates women? Yes. But are they experienced, accomplished and highly qualified for the job? Yes.

So who cares who the buyers of the billboard are routing for to be the next head coach of the Celtics?

Nowhere in that billboard are they saying to hire a lesser candidate? The billboard doesn't advocate to hire one of the ladies over a more qualified male. It is simply cheering on the Celtics to hire one of two excellent candidates, two amongst many, who happen to be women.

I happen to love Becky Hammond as the next head coach. Her coaching philosophy and system most likely will be extremely similar to those of Pops, and that, to me, would be a good fit with the current players on the Celtics.

If I had the money to put a billboard in Stevens face as to who to hire, it would probably be to push Hammond, too. And I would probably mention it would be a historic pick. Nothing wrong with stating that fact

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2021, 05:14:36 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
    I could be proven wrong but with the city’s reputation and with the assist by Kyrie drumming up dislike for Boston. I cabt see them hiring Kidd OR Billups. I don’t know the details on the Billups thing with Mercer but it will be brought up. I don’t think the Celts could survive that. There’s a lot of dislike for this place. Some of it earned and some of it is AD’s dad and Kyrie junk. Those two should not matter but I’m of the belief they do. It’s frustrating but I think it’s a reality.
   Sorry I’m admittedly ignorant about the Billups thing but I know there was a settlement. Obviously if he’s thought to be guilty of the accusations I don’t want him coaching the Celts.

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2021, 05:23:28 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
So I don't get the problems that some have over this billboard. The people who bought the billboard want one of two highly qualified people to get the job. Are those two candidates women? Yes. But are they experienced, accomplished and highly qualified for the job? Yes.

So who cares who the buyers of the billboard are routing for to be the next head coach of the Celtics?

Nowhere in that billboard are they saying to hire a lesser candidate? The billboard doesn't advocate to hire one of the ladies over a more qualified male. It is simply cheering on the Celtics to hire one of two excellent candidates, two amongst many, who happen to be women.

I happen to love Becky Hammond as the next head coach. Her coaching philosophy and system most likely will be extremely similar to those of Pops, and that, to me, would be a good fit with the current players on the Celtics.

If I had the money to put a billboard in Stevens face as to who to hire, it would probably be to push Hammond, too. And I would probably mention it would be a historic pick. Nothing wrong with stating that fact

Is Kara Lawson highly qualified? If the Celtics picked her it would be because they had inside knowledge that people who advocate for her (everyone else) do not know. Therefore, those people would be pushing an under-qualified candidate...because of her gender.

I'd be onboard because, again, it means the Celtics knew she could handle the job. They know her really well now. But even if a team like Orlando hired her, it would be strange. Not that it would or wouldn't work out. But the resume isn't there for Lawson. Wasn't she even focused on player development more than anything? That's like a team hiring Evan Turner right now.

Hammon would make much more sense.

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2021, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Is Kara Lawson highly qualified? If the Celtics picked her it would be because they had inside knowledge that people who advocate for her (everyone else) do not know. Therefore, those people would be pushing an under-qualified candidate...because of her gender.

I'd be onboard because, again, it means the Celtics knew she could handle the job. They know her really well now. But even if a team like Orlando hired her, it would be strange. Not that it would or wouldn't work out. But the resume isn't there for Lawson. Wasn't she even focused on player development more than anything? That's like a team hiring Evan Turner right now.

then the Cs should do it. If Hammon were a man, he would be the overwhelming leader for the job because of her stewardship to the best coach in the business, because of C’s POBO’s infatuation with the Spur’s system, and because of the glowing endorsement of the POBO’s of her qualifications.

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2021, 05:45:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yes, Lawson is highly qualified. Is she as experienced as some? Probably not but neither are some of the other names being mentioned. That doesn't mean they aren't highly qualified. I mean, doesn't Lawson have about the same level of experience as Chauncey Billups, who so many are routing to become the next coach?

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Yes, Lawson is highly qualified. Is she as experienced as some? Probably not but neither are some of the other names being mentioned. That doesn't mean they aren't highly qualified. I mean, doesn't Lawson have about the same level of experience as Chauncey Billups, who so many are routing to become the next coach?

I don’t think it’s debatable between Billups and Lawson which one knows the nba game and nba life more intimately.

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2021, 05:55:46 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

This is an invalid conclusion.  There are numerous comments out there regaurding the organization's opinions of Lawson.  You have no basis to conclude that people who support the idea (like myself) are basing it purely on gender alone.

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2021, 05:57:56 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

then the Cs should do it. If Hammon were a man, he would be the overwhelming leader for the job because of her stewardship to the best coach in the business, because of C’s POBO’s infatuation with the Spur’s system, and because of the glowing endorsement of the POBO’s of her qualifications.

For all we know Hammon is the overwhelming leader for the job. I guess we’ll see how things unfold.

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2021, 06:00:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  I mean, doesn't Lawson have about the same level of experience as Chauncey Billups, who so many are routing to become the next coach?

I’m not pushing Chauncey, but there’s something to be said for having actually reacted to NBA defenses as a floor general.  Lawson’s one year as a lower-level assistant doesn’t really compare.

Lawson simply isn’t qualified to be an NBA head coach.  Hammon, yes.  Staley, yes.  Lawson, not yet. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

This is an invalid conclusion.  There are numerous comments out there regaurding the organization's opinions of Lawson.  You have no basis to conclude that people who support the idea (like myself) are basing it purely on gender alone.

Once again you have to view the decision to hire someone as what separates them from the pack. No one is saying Lawson is only considered because she is female. But if the only distinguishing thing is that she is female and presumably the decision is made based upon the distinguishing facts, then it would be based on gender. Otherwise Evan Turner should be a third name on that billboard.