Author Topic: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.  (Read 14755 times)

Re: Ignore the billboard. Hire the right coach for the right reasons.
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So tired of the woke crowd claiming discrimination because they are females. It’s called discrimination because neither has been a head coach in the NBA. Let me repeat that, neither have coached a single game in the NBA.

Get outta here with the constant racial undertone thing.

By this logic we shouldn't be looking at Sam Cassell or Chauncey Billups and we shouldn't have hired Brad Stevens.

Curious to know who your preferred head coach is, given that you don't want someone who hasn't been an NBA head coach before.

I believe I have seen Becky coach an nba game.

When Pops got ejected? Hardly qualifies.

And to the other posters saying well then Chauncey Billups or Sam Cassell shouldn’t get a look either based on the logic of my original post because they haven’t coached in the NBA, I completely and utterly agree. I want neither.

Which re-thread do you want?

Jason Kidd.

He is a previous coach, was a 9x All Defensive Team (and this team needs to emphasize defense moving forward), Hall of fame player, and 2x Gold medalist in the Olympics.

Seems qualified to me.

His teams were pretty mediocre when he coached.  He's popular, but I'm not sure that he's a great coach.

Maybe being popular with players is all that it takes, but if somebody's resume is "great player, mediocre coach, wife beater", I think I'd look elsewhere.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2021, 02:58:05 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
In the past 4 decades, the Celtic coaches who got the best results, with a strong emphasis on raising banners, were former players, specifically guards.

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2021, 03:18:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
In the past 4 decades, the Celtic coaches who got the best results, with a strong emphasis on raising banners, were former players, specifically guards.

Go back just a bit farther, and the Celtics coach who got the best result was a boisterous big man.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
So tired of the woke crowd claiming discrimination because they are females. It’s called discrimination because neither has been a head coach in the NBA. Let me repeat that, neither have coached a single game in the NBA.

By this logic we shouldn't be looking at Sam Cassell or Chauncey Billups and we shouldn't have hired Brad Stevens.

Curious to know who your preferred head coach is, given that you don't want someone who hasn't been an NBA head coach before.

And to the other posters saying well then Chauncey Billups or Sam Cassell shouldn’t get a look either based on the logic of my original post because they haven’t coached in the NBA, I completely and utterly agree. I want neither.

Jason Kidd.

He is a previous coach, was a 9x All Defensive Team (and this team needs to emphasize defense moving forward), Hall of fame player, and 2x Gold medalist in the Olympics.

Seems qualified to me.

What aspects of his stints in Brooklyn and Milwaukee appeal to you?  He had considerable talent in both situations and results were underwhelming.  Sure, Giannis reportedly fought to keep him, but he strikes me as guy that is loyal across the board.

I'm am not a fan of Jason Kidd the coach.

« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2021, 03:33:36 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
If winning the most games in the NBA is the #1 goal - why risk hiring a woman?  Zero track record.  I see way a bunch of potential downside and no objective benefit (other than meaningless favorable media treatment).  People pretending that males and females are same is irrational. 

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2021, 03:34:26 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Jason Kidd.

Seems qualified to me.

What aspects of his stints in Brooklyn and Milwaukee appeal to you?  He had considerable talent in both situations and results were underwhelming.  Sure, Giannis reportedly fought to keep him, but he strikes me as guy that is loyal across the board.

He also excelled at manufacturing timeouts out of water spills. So you can go from a coach that hoarded timeouts to one that couldn’t get enough of them.

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2021, 03:36:23 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
If winning the most games in the NBA is the #1 goal - why risk hiring a woman?  Zero track record.  I see way a bunch of potential downside and no objective benefit (other than meaningless favorable media treatment).  People pretending that males and females are same is irrational.

lol ...this has what to do with coaching basketball?

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2021, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
If after all the shakeup we did with the coaching and front office staff, we end up with Jason Kidd, I'm going to be livid.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2021, 03:59:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Jason Kidd.

Seems qualified to me.

I'm am not a fan of Jason Kidd the coach.

I'm not a fan of Jason Kidd the person. Nevermind the fact, after '02 & '03,  I never want him involved with the Celtics organization.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2021, 04:11:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
A billboard has risen near the Celtics practice facility.

“Hey Brad, it’s time to shake it up, Hire Kara or Becky!”

www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2021/06/14/celtics-female-coach-billboard/%3famp=1

Now that there are two high profile female candidates for the head coaching positions many people in Massachusetts are foaming at the mouth to hire one of them.

Becky Hammon and Kara Lawson are both qualified candidates for coaching but I do not believe for one second that the majority of support they are getting has anything to do with basketball. The extremely vocal supporters are not interested in the prospective coach's schemes or professional experience or ability to lead a locker room. They know little about who Hammon or Lawson are as people. They are only interested in which demographic boxes the potential coach checks. They want to read the tweets that says "The Boston Celtics have hired the first Female Head Coach in NBA history"

The Celtics are on the verge of contention and the Head Coach is far too important a position to be chosen based on anything other than merit and organizational fit.

Earlier this year the mob was clambering that Brad was too soft spoken and mild mannered to command the locker room. The team needed to bring in a former player that could relate to the guys on the court. Now suddenly we need to hire a female candidate because it will make people feel good about themselves.

Hire the right candidate. I think it should be Chauncey or Sam Cassell but if its Hammon or Lawson just be sure it is because they are the best fits and not because of progressive pressure from entitled billboards.

Edit: Spell corrections including Becky Hammon's last name.

I agree. Should be best person for the job ,period. I’m proud of the Celtics many “firsts “ but that shouldn’t be part of the decision. Not that it is.  Hopefully the Celts aren’t that stupid.
  But if one they believe is the best person by all means. Everyone knows what you’re saying. You’ll be called names for your post. Sorry, dude.

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2021, 04:11:30 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Go back just a bit farther, and the Celtics coach who got the best result was a boisterous big man.

Yes, but he had Bill Russell to coach haha...and was smart enough to retire exactly when Russell did.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2021, 04:13:03 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What key differences do you see?  Is there a difference between gambling on Brad Stevens versus gambling on Dawn Staley?

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2021, 04:23:59 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
If after all the shakeup we did with the coaching and front office staff, we end up with Jason Kidd, I'm going to be livid.

If this move would miss your expectations, what then were your expectations?

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
This thread could turn into a bashing of Jason Kidd thread and I'm all in favor of that. He's probably the one guy (ok there's probably more) that I do not want coaching the team.

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This thread could turn into a bashing of Jason Kidd thread and I'm all in favor of that. He's probably the one guy (ok there's probably more) that I do not want coaching the team.

"Bashing" is exactly why I don't want Jason Kidd on my team in any capacity
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain